Hello! I'm Old but not new

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

1HardWoodsman
Novice

Hello! I'm Old but not new

Post by 1HardWoodsman »

A few weeks ago a friend was showing me his homemade "equipment". I thought to myself, Its been a while since I made any chasers but I'm pretty sure I could show this chap a thing or two.

I went to the store, got 4 big watermelons, sugar and ec1118. 7 days later I had built my "equipment" and was running heads into hearts and called him.

It had the perfect aroma of watermelon. Got about 2 quarts at 150 cut down into 40ABV and had a heck of a tale for family and friends at this past weekends shindig.

Im happy to be here, I'm sure I'll learn a lot, I have done a bunch of stuff also, so. Hello!

Shh....Our secret hobby,

Woodsman
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Re: Hello! I'm Old but not new

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Welcome aboard
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
ThomasBrewer
Swill Maker

Post by ThomasBrewer »

Does the watermelon come over in the heads?
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Welcome
1HardWoodsman
Novice

Post by 1HardWoodsman »

ThomasBrewer wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:50 pm Does the watermelon come over in the heads?
Yes its there and faint not overpowering. I split the batch - de$tilled half and put the other half in a gallon carboy to season out to wine. I gave some to a friend who didn't know what it was or that I made it and he said "this watermelon V0dk@ is awesome". Again, I just used a potstill, no fancy reflux.
1HardWoodsman
Novice

Post by 1HardWoodsman »

Im about ready to run some Mint wine through that just finished today. I will let you know.
Old Dog New Tricks
Swill Maker

Post by Old Dog New Tricks »

Hello, And Welcome ...