Spirit run in Air Still

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

spook100
Novice

Spirit run in Air Still

Post by spook100 »

Hi

I am new to the hobby and have a 4 litre air still from Still Spirits. I have read through several topics on this forum that talk around doing a spirit run after the initial stripping run. The consensus seems to be that you combine the product from several stripping runs, dilute to 40%, and then do the spirit run. However, the manual that came with the still says to dilute down to 12% to do the spirit run and I am trying to understand the discrepancy. The only reason that I can think of to dilute down to 12% is that the unit has a fixed power output ad the boiling point of a 40% solution is lower than that of a 12% solution so it would run tooo fast. Is that correct and, if so, does it matter much? Are their any other reasons that they would recommend 12%?

Thanks!
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Spirit run in Air Still

Post by Sporacle »

Use the search function, chuck in air still + spirit run and you'll get a heap of info.
Plus go right to the bottom of this page and have a look at the required reading, heaps of good info there as well
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

In most cases , the final combined AVB of a stripping run is usually less than 40% and often closer to 30% , so unless you are striping a turbo or stopping short , you normally never need to dilute down to 40% abv .... Which incidentally is just a suggested safe maximum to go into a boiler . Less is fine . Lower will help with the tails seperation .
To be honest I have no idea why they would suggest 12% abv boiler charge for a spirit run ..... Mind you , I would query a lot of instruction that they include
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Yummyrum wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:10 am Mind you , I would query a lot of instruction that they include
Thats about nailed it Yummy .....Ive yet to see an instruction booklet that came with any Still Spirits Still that makes much sense.
Most that Ive seen dont even mention making any cuts bar a small fores cut.
spook100
Novice

Post by spook100 »

Yummyrum wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:10 am In most cases , the final combined AVB of a stripping run is usually less than 40% and often closer to 30% , so unless you are striping a turbo or stopping short , you normally never need to dilute down to 40% abv .... Which incidentally is just a suggested safe maximum to go into a boiler . Less is fine . Lower will help with the tails seperation .
To be honest I have no idea why they would suggest 12% abv boiler charge for a spirit run ..... Mind you , I would query a lot of instruction that they include
Many thanks for the reply. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something because I couldn't find any mention of diluting down that far on the other threads.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

You CAN make good stuff with an AirStill. Just takes time & patience.

From my experience, you'll get ~0.5L of hearts on spirit runs, but I was using the 1.5 technique.
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
spook100
Novice

Post by spook100 »

rubberduck71 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:59 am You CAN make good stuff with an AirStill. Just takes time & patience.

From my experience, you'll get ~0.5L of hearts on spirit runs, but I was using the 1.5 technique.
I have a T500 reflux still too that I will be doing most of my distilling on that. I came across the air still at a decent price (2nd hand) and thought I could use it for small batches. I am mainly interested in gin so will make the neutral spirit and cuts on the T500 and then re-distill with the air still to test out recipes. However, I have done a couple of stripping runs through the air still, to test it, so thought I would complete the process by doing a spirit run and see how it comes out. Thanks for your help!
tjsc5f
Swill Maker

Post by tjsc5f »

spook100 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:13 am I have a T500 reflux still too
If you have the pot still head for the T500 boiler, the volumes work out pretty well to do a single 5gal strip in the T500 (use the air still as the collection vessel) followed by a single spirit run in the air still.
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

You might want to get a regulator to turn the power down. Running a little slower can be of benefit.