Copper pipe identification

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tōtōchtin

Copper pipe identification

Post by Tōtōchtin »

Hello, I ran across this ad that states the 3 inch pipe was used in electrical. I can't imagine any electrician using it as conduit. I asked what it was his relpy "It is electrolytic electrical use is known as sps or ips is 99.9% copper I await your comments. ". Any ideas
I also bought a wide 30 and 59 lt kegs for a little less then 70 bucks.
Stay safe, and thanks
JK
https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/ML ... 2e8f2820a6
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Copper pipe identification

Post by Ben »

I'm not sure about SPS or IPS in Mexico, in the U.S. IPS is iron pipe size, meaning it takes standard iron pipe fittings. Could be something lost in translation there. The electrolytic thing may mean it carried salt water for something... power generation maybe?

I wouldn't worry about the previous use, make sure you do you cleaning runs like any still build.
:)
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

IPS is an obsolete standard, NPS has been use since shortly after WW2. The dimensions look about the same. It is very different from copper pipe size.

Electrolytic is a refining process, most copper wire (and a lot of other stuff) is made from ETP, electrolytic tough pitch copper. ETP is 99.9%.

It's hard to believe someone would pay for copper conduit but possible. If you are close by, go look at it with a tape measure and a 3" fitting if you have one. 3" IPS or NPS will have an od of 3.5", 3" copper pipe OD is 3.125"

If that price is pesos it's a steal. The last time I bought 2" copper pipe it was 17 USD/foot.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

I thank you for your quick response. I wrote to him for total charges. I can use it for something around the ranch if it doesn't work out. I am looking at 600 bucks for 20' of 3" type L and I only need 9 '.
Stay safe
JK
Si vis pacem, para bellum