Hi everyone

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Funstuff
Novice

Hi everyone

Post by Funstuff »

I am a newbie distiller from Tasmania, Oz.
I have a 60l kettle with home made modular head still on it. Head is 2" that can be run in pot mode, or reflux. Reflux is via a packed column (has been copper mesh - now about to try SPPs) and vapour management condenser head.
I also have a 12l kettle on order (will run my existing 2" parts as needed for small runs distillation of single essences such as coffee etc for making coffee liqueur/Cointreau etc in smaller batches).
I have some experience fermenting - sauerkraut/veggies/kimchi/kombucha/sourdough/beer etc. Distilling however, is a whole new game.
So far have made plenty of neutrals (intended for gin/ouzo/Cointreau/coffee liqueur etc), also some plum slivovitz that is now a year old and maturing nicely. Have just started making black strap molasses rum.
I love Japanese shochu (their style of vodka) and am very keen to make this when sweet potatoes are in season and cheap. I grow a range of fruit, including yuzu citrus and Japanese plum/apricots - ume - for making umeshu. Calvados and poire (French style pear brandy) are also high on the list for next fruit season. Hopefully gin made with yuzu is also on the list!
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: Hi everyone

Post by Yummyrum »

Welcome Funstuff
I'm quite interested in your Ume plums . Me and the Mrs are quite fond of Umeshu .
I'm guessing that Tazzy has a similar climate to Japan and maybe they are more suited to your area . We're in MNC NSW and it's semi tropics . Who knows .

Anyway , start a topic on it if you want . Sounds really interesting .
Funstuff
Novice

Post by Funstuff »

Hi YR - I have to agree, we love umeshu. Umeshu is a delight when visiting Japan, many small eateries (izakaya) make their own and a great big demijohn/jar is often at the end of the bar ready for patrons as an aperitif or end of meal drink. Getting ume plums to grow has been quite a saga. I put a tree in about 6 years ago and it grew like crazy - flowers very late winter with lovely double soft pink highly perfumed flowers. No fruit set first year, second year, a couple of small fruit third year and none since. Frustrated me did some investigation - looks like needs another tree to cross pollinate. I went to another nursery who had the ume trees and they swore their variety fruited every year. Bought one last year - and hey presto - it has heaps of fruit this, its first season, I am guessing several kgs. The frustrating thing is the first tree has no fruit. I now gather that some cultivars are more ornamental and bred not to fruit, and I suspect this is the variety of my first one. I have been to Japan many times and seen them growing in many places in the country from Kyushu to Honshu and am guessing they would grow in your neck of the woods really well. Ask your local nursery for a Prunus mume tree and check that it is one of the fruiting cultivars, and what their thoughts are on growing them in your climate. It is technically an apricot but the Japanese call it a plum. Umeshu is very simple to make - just takes time - at least 6 months and preferably several years. This link has a simple recipe. https://www.justonecookbook.com/plum-wine/
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Funstuff wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:03 pm I am a newbie distiller from Tasmania, Oz.
I have a 60l kettle with home made modular head still on it. Head is 2" that can be run in pot mode, or reflux. Reflux is via a packed column (has been copper mesh - now about to try SPPs) and vapour management condenser head.
I also have a 12l kettle on order (will run my existing 2" parts as needed for small runs distillation of single essences such as coffee etc for making coffee liqueur/Cointreau etc in smaller batches).
I have some experience fermenting - sauerkraut/veggies/kimchi/kombucha/sourdough/beer etc. Distilling however, is a whole new game.
So far have made plenty of neutrals (intended for gin/ouzo/Cointreau/coffee liqueur etc), also some plum slivovitz that is now a year old and maturing nicely. Have just started making black strap molasses rum.
I love Japanese shochu (their style of vodka) and am very keen to make this when sweet potatoes are in season and cheap. I grow a range of fruit, including yuzu citrus and Japanese plum/apricots - ume - for making umeshu. Calvados and poire (French style pear brandy) are also high on the list for next fruit season. Hopefully gin made with yuzu is also on the list!
Hello and welcome from the Mainland.
I didn't realise they grew Yuzu in Australia until recently. I made an excellent shochu the other week from rice using yellow label yeast, very simple to make, would be great flavoured with some Yuzu.
You will learn a lot here mate, good luck with it all.
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Welcome and 🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

Welcome to HD Apple Isler