First Reflux Run

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

FLOB
Site Donor
Site Donor

First Reflux Run

Post by FLOB »

I rebuilt the pot still attachment to my keg into a CCVM. I made enough Googe's Goo to do 3 strips with the updated pot still setup and a spirit run with CCVM. Some lessons learned, but overall I think it worked great.

Picked up some lemons to start a batch of limoncello. Will grab some frozen strawberries soon too.
proof.jpg
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Re: First Reflux Run

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Looks good, but do you know what the temp of the product was? That's what helps to know what the actual % ABV is. I'm not doubting it's very good, just asking so you know it's as good as that hydrometer says it is.
FLOB
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FLOB »

Temperature correction brings it closer to 91. I thought that was pretty good for a first go. Been reading here a long time, but my hands on experience is pretty limited.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Well done FLOB
After running a Pot still only , I’m sure it was a whole new experience .
Even 91% for the first time will seem amazingly clean after having used a Potty . But keep at it and you’ll soon be making even better stuff .
Trick to reflux still is takeoff rate controls quality .
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

Hey Flob, did you take note of take-off rate and power as well? I've found there is a sweet spot in terms of power and take-off rate.
Mine pretty much is one move on the reflux from compression to fores and then a bump on the SCR
once fores are done and that's it for the entire run
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
FLOB
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FLOB »

For the most part, I followed these directions from kimbodious.

viewtopic.php?p=7575954#p7575954

I never got the meter I was trying to get going to work so I just had a still dragon controller without any power readings. My takeoff rate was pretty solid at 300 ml per 15 minutes, so 1.2 L per hour like the post.

One thing I want to do next time is add a little more lava rock so I can see the top of the rocks through the sight glass. I need to insulate also.
FLOB
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FLOB »

Thanks, yummyrum. Got a bottle of vodka set aside and a batch of limoncello started last night. Started a batch of SPD tonight.