Getting a cleaner Sugar Wash

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bewildered Hobbyist
Novice

Re: Getting a cleaner Sugar Wash

Post by Bewildered Hobbyist »

still_stirrin wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:56 am
NZChris wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:05 pm
Bewildered Hobbyist wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:20 pm The issue is still that artificial banana smell and fruity taste
If you have the same problem with a different recipe, try a different yeast.
+1.

It is the yeast that is creating the esters, so a different yeast strain may be better. For a ferment with less ester products, try the Lalvin EC1118 (champagne) yeast. And don’t try to make a high gravity wash, rather keep it in the OG=1.065 to 1.070 range (around 10% potential).

The champagne yeast can tolerate cooler temperatures too but bear in mind that it does ferment slower. So, don’t expect a 3 day ferment to attenuation. It could take a week or 2 at least.
ss
Might give that a go. Champagne yeast would work fine for me as I'm not aiming for a high gravity ferment, my last batches were all around 10 percent and I'm happy to keep that part of my method the same so the yeast is happy. Ferment times as well is not a great concern
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

Bewildered Hobbyist wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:51 pm I'll try a different yeast that'll be more appropriate. Any recommendations are very welcomed
If you can find Angel IDY (standard bakers yeast) go for that It is what the recipe was developed on. Angel make a huge range for different purposes.
Else a standard bakers yeast will work.
image.png
image.png (64.8 KiB) Viewed 332 times
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

$3 for 500g at Gilmours.
Bewildered Hobbyist
Novice

Post by Bewildered Hobbyist »

Thanks Teddy,

I'll definitely give that a bash as I really like the flavours of your recipe and would like to get it right!
Teddysad wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:00 pm
Bewildered Hobbyist wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:51 pm I'll try a different yeast that'll be more appropriate. Any recommendations are very welcomed
If you can find Angel IDY (standard bakers yeast) go for that It is what the recipe was developed on. Angel make a huge range for different purposes.
Else a standard bakers yeast will work.
image.png