Where to go after UJSSM

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Stump Lake
Site Donor
Site Donor

Where to go after UJSSM

Post by Stump Lake »

I could use some direction from the collective. I'm on Gen #9 of the UJSSM and I have enough of it saved up. This has been a great learning experience. Now I would like move on to All Grain. I have read and read myself into a state of confusion. There are so many good receipts here that I don't know which to choose.

Here are some things that may help you guide me.

* I have run 9 generations of UJSSM
* I am running a 5 gal pot still
* I want to run my first All Grain
* My favorite Bourbon is Elijah Craig
* I have a lot of cracked corn left over
* I want to continue learning and growing in this hobby
* The closes brew supply is 100+ miles away from me.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Where to go after UJSSM

Post by Bradster68 »

I came here to make rum. After almost a year. I'm very pleased with my product. Now iv tried a bourbon someone made and I'm hooked. Grains are cheap ( where I get them) and full of flavor. Some of the special malts are fruity and sweet. Giver a try and I think you'll be pleased 🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Hi Stump. Have you tried Honey Bear Bourbon yet? I’ve found it to be a consistent and relatively easy AG method. I ordered all my small grains from Amazon (for convenience). Not sure if that would work for where you are located.

Edit: also you can run. Ujsm style sugar head on those grains too after the batches are done.
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
Stump Lake
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stump Lake »

I haven't tried Honey Bear Bourbon yet, I was reading that post this morning. It sounds interesting.

Edit: I'm going back and reading it again. You may be right. Honey Bear Bourbon does seem to fit my situation. I'm going to start looking for a source of the other grains. and a way to grind my cracked corn.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

I second HBB. I've only run a couple AGs, one of which was HBB and it's a solid recipe! Mine didn't even make it into aging, but the next larger batch will.

From my reading, Jimbo's steps here are about the best you'll find for running an AG and (optional) sugarhead off the spent stuff: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=39617

But read all over. There's little nuggets hidden all around this site.

Good luck!

TwoSheds
Stump Lake
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stump Lake »

Thanks guys for the feedback. I have to take a break. The wife has me fixing the sink, now I have to run to the hardware store for parts. I'll get back to reading and replying after she is satisfied. :lol:
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

A lot of people rave about using Rolled Oats imparting a nice 'mouth feel' regardless what they use it with. I've heard people using some with AG mashes for vodka, even vodka sugar heads, whiskeys, modified rums, etc...
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:21 am A lot of people rave about using Rolled Oats imparting a nice 'mouth feel' regardless what they use it with. I've heard people using some with AG mashes for vodka, even vodka sugar heads, whiskeys, modified rums, etc...
+1
All my mashes have oats. As much as 25% of the bill. Even sugar washes for neutrals
I do grind them to rough flour.
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I use grocery store cheap quick oats along with some other grains I usually have around for my AG sugarheads - plus some molasses or panela. Makes for an easy second ferment ratbastard-rumski that's quite tasty after a year or so on oak.. One of these days I might even do a reflux vodka run lol!

HBB is great too and very good for adjusting with different specialty malts, wheats, various barleys, corns, and even some rye. I haven't had a bad batch of any AG to be honest and enjoy changing it up each time - saving some as white and putting the rest in a barrel over a couple/few months of different mash recipes.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

If you are not shy about telling where you reside someone here might be able to offer use of a mill. If you are near northern Colorado drop me a note. You can order most grains online. I use Northern brewer a lot. Corn is a bit harder got get ground but you can buy corn meal or if you can get rolled corn it can work with no additional grinding (but it does help if you can do it)
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

I'm also northern CO and willing to help.

You can order grain pre milled from most any home brew place. Use flaked corn until you are ready to mill.

Elijah craig is made by heaven hill, its 78% corn, 10% rye, 12% barley on a #3 char barrel. That should get you a great start. Corn is probably yellow dent, barley is probably similar to a pale malt. You could use a malted rye to get your diastatic power up and it will be easier to find at a brew shop in small quantities than finding unmated rye.
:)
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I used grocery store corn meal for several batches before I purchased an Agristore grinder which allows me to use any corn I can get by the 50# bag. I believe you can find corn meal in 50# bags too but feedstore whole corn has been great @ about $15/50# around here... The grinder works for everything but if I was doing malt whiskies I'd also want a roller mill...

+1 on Northern Brewer, morebeer.com, and similar for ordering other grains...

Cheers!
-j
————
————
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Corn meal ($25 Restaurant Depot) is less than half the price of flaked corn ($69 Morebeer) around here for a 50lb sack and converts efficiently with enzymes and no milling required.

A delicious 3-grain bourbon grain bill is 75-13-12 (corn, malted rye, malted barley). Here are some others you might look at.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Twisted Brick wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:53 am Corn meal ($25 Restaurant Depot) is less than half the price of flaked corn ($69 Morebeer) around here for a 50lb sack and converts efficiently with enzymes and no milling required.

A delicious 3-grain bourbon grain bill is 75-13-12 (corn, malted rye, malted barley). Here are some others you might look at.
Well I wish i would have seen this post earlier. I just made a post of some grains I bought today. I guess I don't need to wonder how to use them with my "PAN cornmeal "
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Stump Lake
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stump Lake »

WOW, I leave for a little bit and have all kinds of advice, Thanks You.

I fixed the sink, got At-A-boys for doing that. Then, I decided to grind the cracked corn in my wife's food processed, it worked...made a big mess. That Oh Shit cost me all of my earned At-A-Boys.

I'm going to go with the HBB next. I have an order with Northern Brewer for all of the grains. I added the oats.

I'm going to try a couple of runs with the HBB before I move on up to the Elijah Craig grain bill.

Thanks Everyone for your input..I'll try not to screw this up
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Get friendly with the local farmers. Look for apples and corn on your daily commute. Shit, today I noticed two old apple trees with apples all over the ground. I’m going to go over there and ask them if I can pick it. I’m sure they’d almost pay me to get them off the tree for them.

Edit: before getting into The Hobby never paid attention to fruit trees. Crankys fruit thread is definitely an inspiration and now I’m starting to notice them all over. The ones I saw today looked perfect. Poor old tree been trying to help out a friendly Stiller for years. I’m glad I saw it. I’ll update with pics tomorrow on another thread.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I believe it is traditional to use windfall apples for cider and for apple brandies.
As long I guess as they are sound.
But that might save a lot of effort picking!

Geoff
The Baker
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Thanks Baker. I was wondering about having somebody help me with the ladder. I’ll keep with tradition then.
Makes sense though. Nice and ripe and full of sugar(like banana bread bananas). If I recollect right, I remember it being Cranky explaining that the worms weren’t nothing but yeast nutrient anyway.
The Wife seems excited about it. Maybe I can con my way into that apple shredder I’ve seen around here and a fruit press!
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

If you are old stay away from ladders.

Geoff
The Baker
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Again, thanks Geoff! I’ll be 38 in February. I’m getting there. From everything I hear and see I got a lot to look forward to concerning getting old :lolno:
Knees are starting to sound like the Tin-man from the Wizard of Oz. Olympic weightlifting competition’s throughout school left me with one rotator cuff surgery on the right and numerous dislocations on the left shoulders. Every morning I sound like a bowl of rice krispys :lol:
Ahh hell, what good is any of it if you don’t enjoy the days you got?

Will do about the ladders :thumbup: Use em all the time at work. I’ll be thinking about it next time I climb my fat ass up one.
-Thomas Paine
Stump Lake
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stump Lake »

Thanks stonecutter I'll keep an eye out for fruit, not sure what to do with with it yet. I'm sure there is a thread on this forum that tells me exactly what I need to do. I'm in the south, apples are not a big thing around here, I might find some muscadines or mayhaws.

As for ladders, I hear you, I'm 71 and run a RV Park/Campground. Seems everything requires a ladder to fix. Wasn't a problem 25 years ago when I started the business.
zach
Swill Maker

Post by zach »

Stump Lake wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:39 am * I have a lot of cracked corn left over
* The closes brew supply is 100+ miles away from me.

With the corn, I recommend the tried and true recipe Booner's casual all corn.

viewtopic.php?t=51458

With the brew supply store so far, get some enzymes and you can use any un-malted grain.

I've used corn, oats, rice, and wheat flour .
Stump Lake
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stump Lake »

Thanks Zach, I'm reading through this post, it sounds good. I'm adding this to my "TO DO: list. Corn is something that is plentiful around here. They start harvesting corn here in the fall and pill up mountains of it until they can get it all put away. If I could master corn whiskey that would be a cheap alternative to store bought.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Ben wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:31 am I'm also northern CO and willing to help.

You can order grain pre milled from most any home brew place. Use flaked corn until you are ready to mill.

Elijah craig is made by heaven hill, its 78% corn, 10% rye, 12% barley on a #3 char barrel. That should get you a great start. Corn is probably yellow dent, barley is probably similar to a pale malt. You could use a malted rye to get your diastatic power up and it will be easier to find at a brew shop in small quantities than finding unmated rye.
+1
75/13/12 also makes a great sipping whiskey.
I made a batch of that last year from corn meal, rye malt, and 2 row pale malt. It was great after about 8 months on toasted and charred oak in glass. I'll be making it again this season.
It's straight forward and makes good hooch, white or aged.
My HBB has only been in the barrel 3 months, so I'm still a ways out before I can pass judgment. But the one pint I held back for white sippin showed real promise.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Stump Lake wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:38 am Thanks Zach, I'm reading through this post, it sounds good. I'm adding this to my "TO DO: list. Corn is something that is plentiful around here. They start harvesting corn here in the fall and pill up mountains of it until they can get it all put away. If I could master corn whiskey that would be a cheap alternative to store bought.
I have a 5 gallon barrel of straight corn, 2/3 dent and 1/3 corn meal, using enzymes. It's not a bad drink at 10 months in a used barrel. Should be nice come spring.
I dont know where you are, but the last malts I bought, I ordered on line from Morebeer. It was cheaper that fuel driving the 50 miles round trip in my one ton diesel for 30 pounds of grain.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Stump Lake
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stump Lake »

Thanks D, I did go ahead and order grains. Same for me on the cost of fuel to drive to go get supplies. It was fun to talk to the guy running the Brew store though. I order from Northern, mainly because several people mentioned it.
Stump Lake
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stump Lake »

Flaked Oats × 5
per pound, UNMILLED
Pale Malt - MaltWerks × 5
per pound, UNMILLED
Rahr Red Wheat Malt × 5
per pound, UNMILLED
Rahr White Wheat Malt × 5
per pound, UNMILLED
Honey Malt × 5
per pound, UNMILLED

I got an email from Northern Brewer that my order has shipped. I plan to make the Honey Bear Bourbon with it.

My question is: All the grain is Unmilled, Should I try to ground it down before using it?

Thanks
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Yes, it needs milled. On your order you could have ticked the little box that says "CRUSHED"... so now you need a mill :) (this is a natural evolution when starting on all grain). Corona mill is a good starter, knock offs are under $30 on the eBay, or check your local antiques market. Convert it to power drill operation and add a bigger hopper. You will get use out of it, it enables you to source all your corn from a feed store. Roller mills are nice, but $$$.
:)
Stump Lake
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stump Lake »

Thanks Ben, I learn more and more with each screw up.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Are you too far down the rabbit hile already @ gen 9 UJ? Think you’ll be turning back any time soon? Naaahhh… I recommend skipping the corona mill and getting something that’s less work to turn corn into corn meal. Then use that for the other grains as well.

I splurged for an agristore grinder but there are others around too.

The issues I had with the corona were that by the time I was done with modifying it was a little janky and i also had purchased a new dedicated 3/8” wired drill that I would need to be able to run for 30-60min straight while holding the contraption together. The corona playes would often come loose requiring dismantling to a certain degree, reassembling, and then grinding more.

In contrast, the agristore would turn 100# of grain and corn into flour/meal in 30min and I can walk away from it and just refill the hopper a few times.

I guess the corona still works and is my backup so it’s still very useful if needed… it’s pretty good in the kitchen if you ever want to toast and grind some boutique flour or corn to cook with - i mean if you ever find yourself with a couple cups of wheat, rye, barley - maybe some yeast (a little stillers beer) - and want to make some baguettes…

Cheers!
-j
————
————