Oats: malted vs Quaker?

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Oats: malted vs Quaker?

Post by Steve Broady »

The Carolina Malt House is right down the road from me, and I recently found out that they sell to individuals as well as commercial breweries, albeit with a 50lb minimum. They have malted oats, which got me curious. I’ve read a lot about the benefits of rolled oats for mouthfeel, and I’ve used them toasted for a lovely flavor in the past. But what effect do malted oats have? I find a few threads where people mention using them, but it doesn’t seem to be a common ingredient. Is that because not many people have access to them, or because it’s not that good in a spirit?
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Oats: malted vs Quaker?

Post by still_stirrin »

Malted oats would be lovely. Gettum’.

Rolled (crimped) oats and even flaked oats (quick oats from the grocery store) are both “compromises”. They’ll add flavor and texture. But malting the oats is the “best” solution.

Oat whiskey is great. DAD300 makes a delicious oat whiskey from 100% oats (the Falling Rock Distillery in Arkansas). It’s fantastic. :thumbup:

So grab a sack of malted oats and get started. You’ll be glad you did.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Malted oats are a winner. Having the husk in tact helps keep the whole program from turning into a sticky mass. You still get the nice mouthfeel but the malted version seems less "grassy" than feed oat in the final product.
:)
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

Steve Broady wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:55 am I find a few threads where people mention using them, but it doesn’t seem to be a common ingredient. Is that because not many people have access to them, or because it’s not that good in a spirit?

Oats, malted or not, tend to be expensive so I think most people use them as an adjunct ... as a result they don't get a lot of discussion. Just be careful fermenting 100% oats. Leave *a lot* of headroom in your primary fermenter.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

greggn wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:27 am
Oats, malted or not, tend to be expensive so I think most people use them as an adjunct ... as a result they don't get a lot of discussion. Just be careful fermenting 100% oats. Leave *a lot* of headroom in your primary fermenter.
+1

Northern Brewer in CA has them listed at $114 for 50lbs, a little spendy for making a single malt oat whiskey. The oat malt listed on the Carolina Malt website has been hulled, so at least you're getting more malt for your dollar.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I used this blonde roast oat malt in about 10% of this mash bill.

25# Blue corn
25# White corn
5# Red wheat
5# White wheat
5# Blonde roast oat malt
5# Carastan malt
7.5# Crystal rye malt
7.5# Munich malt
10# Quick oats

https://www.northernbrewer.com/products ... toats-malt

I blended the spirits with some other bourbon mashes/runs but also kept some aside and aged solo in a BadMo - it's now gone but really enjoyed. I might have enough for one more glass.

I can't say exactly how the oat malt contributed but I'd use it again with more..

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

make a 100% oat whiskey with a little melted butter, brown sugar and a splash of milk
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

I just made a 100% oat whiskey and it's so good it's all I might make for a while! It's like drinking an oatmeal cookie! I used Grainland Select rolled oats from the feed store and Angel yeast. For gen 1 I just ran the oats through my mill into the fermentor, topped with water and pitched yeast. The next gens I used 30% hot backstet straight from the boiler to sterilize the grains for a few hours before topping up with cool water and pitching yeast.

The next batch I'll just use boiling water instead of backset, I plan on just drinking it white.

I noticed very few heads and the tails came way way late and weren't very smelly at all. I had the biggest hearts % ever.
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Sounds like I might need to pick up a 50lb bag of marked oats! In which case, a question for you guys. Do they have enough enzymes on their own, or do I need to add anything? From what I understand, they should work just like marked barley in that regard, right?
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I made the oat malt myself, germination is easy, it has a very thick skin which favors filtration. I brewed it for beer, generally in spirits it gives flavor and softness to the palate.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Steve Broady wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:51 am Sounds like I might need to pick up a 50lb bag of marked oats! In which case, a question for you guys. Do they have enough enzymes on their own, or do I need to add anything? From what I understand, they should work just like marked barley in that regard, right?
Diastatic power is around 25l, you are shooting for an average of around 40 for the batch, so it would be advisable to use an enzyme additive, or another malt in conjunction with your oats.
:)