New to distilling

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

loki9421
Novice

New to distilling

Post by loki9421 »

Hi everyone :wave:

I'm not quite sure how to properly introduce myself so here goes. I've been enjoying rums, whiskeys, vodkas and gins for a while now and as such would like to try making my own. I have some (in my mind) interesting flavours I'd like to try out plus I'd like to save some money as store brought spirits are quite costly! I've always had an interest in chemistry and I'm quite a fan of coffee, I enjoy the process of grinding my own beans and various filtration options along with the art of making that perfect drink, and I believe I'll enjoy distilling my own spirits too.

With this in mind, I'm embarking on the journey to start making my own rums and gins, maybe whiskeys. I've saved a little money and I've started looking at some equipment. While I think I have a good idea of the still I want I'm a bit lost on what fermentation pot to start with.
Dave.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: New to distilling

Post by Saltbush Bill »

G'day Loki
Welcome to the forum and glad to see you found your way in after one failed attempt.
We try to keep this part of the forum for introductions only.......questions should be asked elsewhere.
Ive cut your questions and will send the text back to you in a PM, so that you can then ask in an appropriate area of the forum.
You should get plenty of help from other members if you put your questions here. viewforum.php?f=15
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Hi Loki. Welcome. I look forward to seeing your questions posted and trying to help as I can within my experience. Regardless I’m sure you will get a lot of great assistance here when the time comes.
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Welcome. One little point I would make: plan to make better spirits than you can buy, rather than cheaper spirits. If you expect to improve the quality of what you drink you likely won't be disappointed... If you try to produce to a price point you'll find it hard to compete with the big boys.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
loki9421
Novice

Post by loki9421 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:51 am G'day Loki
Welcome to the forum and glad to see you found your way in after one failed attempt.
We try to keep this part of the forum for introductions only.......questions should be asked elsewhere.
Ive cut your questions and will send the text back to you in a PM, so that you can then ask in an appropriate area of the forum.
You should get plenty of help from other members if you put your questions here. viewforum.php?f=15
Ah OK, apologies! Thank you.
loki9421
Novice

Post by loki9421 »

Dougmatt wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:34 am Hi Loki. Welcome. I look forward to seeing your questions posted and trying to help as I can within my experience. Regardless I’m sure you will get a lot of great assistance here when the time comes.
Excellent, thank you!
loki9421
Novice

Post by loki9421 »

NormandieStill wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:42 am Welcome. One little point I would make: plan to make better spirits than you can buy, rather than cheaper spirits. If you expect to improve the quality of what you drink you likely won't be disappointed... If you try to produce to a price point you'll find it hard to compete with the big boys.
A valid point, thanks. I'm hoping, perhaps naively, this new hobby might save some money. I suspect, however, based on your comment, that might not be the case!
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

loki9421 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:36 am
NormandieStill wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:42 am Welcome. One little point I would make: plan to make better spirits than you can buy, rather than cheaper spirits. If you expect to improve the quality of what you drink you likely won't be disappointed... If you try to produce to a price point you'll find it hard to compete with the big boys.
A valid point, thanks. I'm hoping, perhaps naively, this new hobby might save some money. I suspect, however, based on your comment, that might not be the case!
Depends where you are. In south africa you can easily make an expensive grain bill product for 10% of store bought. 15% max
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Old Dog New Tricks
Swill Maker

Post by Old Dog New Tricks »

Welcome, As a new distiller, I have found invaluable information on this site, The Users are awesome at sharing knowledge,
Try not to think about what you need to get started, Instead think about where you are going....
Size matters in distilling & Fermenting, Lastly Read, Read, Read, take notes...
ODNT
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

EricTheRed wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:57 am Depends where you are. In south africa you can easily make an expensive grain bill product for 10% of store bought. 15% max
It also depends on what you target. I could probably make a sugar-based "vodka" for a fraction of the cost of even cheap store bought and it might even be good for more than just mixers (Not much of a vodka drinker personnally). But my ultimate goals are calvados and a whisky that compares to some of the single casks I've got in the kitchen. And while I've got some decently pleasant and drinkable whiskys I'm nowhere near that goal yet.

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Normandie it seems that you have never been to Australia to see what we pay for booze here after all of the gumbyment taxes are applied.
In the last 10+ years I've payed for all of my stills and other distilling equipment many times over by producing my own.
Ive payed for a 6 week holiday to America , car rental for 5 of those weeks out of the savings.......and still have change left over.
It really does depend on where you live in the world as to how much you can save or not save in this hobby........probably depends a little on how much you drink as well.
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:08 am ...probably depends a little on how much you drink as well.
+1 :D
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

there is the crux of the biscuit

if you want to drink gallons of sugar shine for cheap then home brew is probably cheaper...

if you want to make good whiskey and your time isn't free then I'd have to say there is diminishing returns.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Welcome to HD! Enjoy the rabbit hole! I think you can make spirits pretty economically material-wise it just takes time.. You can also spend good $$'s on premium ingredients which can also make good spirits...

CHeers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:08 am Normandie it seems that you have never been to Australia to see what we pay for booze here after all of the gumbyment taxes are applied.
In the last 10+ years I've payed for all of my stills and other distilling equipment many times over by producing my own.
Ive payed for a 6 week holiday to America , car rental for 5 of those weeks out of the savings.......and still have change left over.
It really does depend on where you live in the world as to how much you can save or not save in this hobby........probably depends a little on how much you drink as well.
I'm not a heavy drinker, although this hobby has helped me to drink more than I was, and inspired some more adventurous beer brewing. Largely it's given us stuff that we wouldn't have bought otherwise (Somehow, making Kahlua feels less shameful than buying the stuff!). We've probably gone through about 5 litres of gin since I started, but we weren't buying lots before. That said we used to buy about 3 litres of gin every couple of years for making sloe gin. This year I'll be making it. Still not sure that saving would cover the investments I've made on the still and all the accessories though.