someone wanna buy me a bottle of this stuff?

All styles of whiskey. This is for all-grain mashes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Setsumi
Distiller

Re: someone wanna buy me a bottle of this stuff?

Post by Setsumi »

And I betcha you will gracefully accept and drink it neat on ice! Times that with 17 to get my currency... it equals my property value!
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

Setsumi wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:48 pm
And I betcha you will gracefully accept and drink it neat on ice! Times that with 17 to get my currency... it equals my property value!
lol how about it that is an expensive shot at the bar
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I’d be happy with just the bottle. Damn!
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

I was lucky enough to be hanging out in the corner with a few folks at the ADI event a few weeks ago.
One of whom was Nancy Fraley. She is the Master Blender for Jos A. Magnus, Wyoming Whiskey, Still Austin, St. Augustine, Virginia Distilling Company, J. Henry, and I am sure some more.

Sampled some whiskey she reckons will sell for $1000.00 a bottle. A blend of about 6 different whiskeys of which the youngest was 18 yo. She has been proofing this particular blend down for years. Her proofing water ages in barrels for a similar amount of time.
The whiskey was pretty gosh darn sublime.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

hmm aged water eh?
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Personally I am so cheap I would not enjoy sipping if I paid for it.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

squigglefunk wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:13 am hmm aged water eh?
Yeah there are several articles out there about proofing water that explain the thought process behind it.
Mostly to do with avoiding the saponification affect that can occur with proofing.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

LWTCS wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:13 am
Yeah there are several articles out there about proofing water that explain the thought process behind it.
Mostly to do with avoiding the saponification affect that can occur with proofing.
uh huh I see, thats pretty cool
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

LWTCS wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:13 am
I had to look that word up. Most of what I found had to do with making soap.
I did find some folks talking about "saponification affect" at ADI.

https://adiforums.com/topic/11944-proofing-whiskey/
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

So, should I be storing some good water with a little oak in it? And if so, how do you prevent mold and other nasties?

I suppose I could pressure can some quart jars of oak chunks..
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

I haven't read enough on the process.
I really wanted to talk to Nancy about it first hand, but she soon got swamped with admiring fans that cut our conversation short.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

LWTCS wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:40 am I haven't read enough on the process.
I really wanted to talk to Nancy about it first hand, but she soon got swamped with admiring fans that cut our conversation short.
I first I heard about it from this video from the Germain-Robin distillery.

I've heard Nancy mention that Hubert Germain-Robin was her mentor. She has done a few informal live streams on youtube and I need to go back over some them as she is very forthcoming with the knowledge.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

SaltyStaves wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:12 am
LWTCS wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:40 am I haven't read enough on the process.
I first I heard about it from this video from the Germain-Robin distillery.

I've heard Nancy mention that Hubert Germain-Robin was her mentor. She has done a few informal live streams on youtube and I need to go back over some them as she is very forthcoming with the knowledge.

She's great.
Yeah we were starting a fun discussion about Baller whiskey when her fans spoiled all my fun.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

LWTCS wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:13 am Mostly to do with avoiding the saponification affect that can occur with proofing.
Saponification (or what I presume to be saponification due to the “soapy” taste I sense) seems to be pretty prevalent in the VSOP’s. Remy, Courvoisier, and the extremely overrated Hennessey.
That profile, whether it’s saponification or not, lends itself naturally into my barrel aged Brandy as well. I enjoy the subtle taste, probably because I equate it to the Cognac (Remy) I so much enjoy.
I can also pick it up in most commercial Scotch.
When I first started the hobby I sought out saponification in order to mimic what I’d tasted in commercial stuff.
Haven’t found it in my peated whiskeys but I’ve also given up trying to obtain that specific taste and instead focus my attention on creating a smooth drop with plenty of flavor.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Now, I don’t know but I’d wager a beer that saponification has more to do with the heads instead of the tails

Edit: Thank you for the video Salty Staves :thumbup:
Seeming to do more with water than anything else. But something had to be the catalyst. I still reckon it’s the heads.

Edit on an edit :lol: I add water the same whether it’s whiskey or brandy
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

Stonecutter wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:54 pm Now, I don’t know but I’d wager a beer that saponification has more to do with the heads instead of the tails

Edit: Thank you for the video Salty Staves :thumbup:
Seeming to do more with water than anything else. But something had to be the catalyst. I still reckon it’s the heads.

Edit on an edit :lol: I add water the same whether it’s whiskey or brandy
Question: is it in heads or tails? Tails often have visible oils floating, or is it like you're hypothesis (in the heads) due to the higher alcohol content of the heads keeping oils in solution? Idk. Or is it throughout the run, contrary to the old methanol train of thought? Idk. Has anyone proofed individual cuts down to the same percentage gradually, and then kept going lower gradually to see louche? Or done the same with individual cuts regarding esters? Idk.
Just going through thoughts as they arise.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

juana_b wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:42 pm Question: is it in heads or tails? Tails often have visible oils floating, or is it like you're hypothesis (in the heads) due to the higher alcohol content of the heads keeping oils in solution? Idk. Or is it throughout the run, contrary to the old methanol train of thought? Idk. Has anyone proofed individual cuts down to the same percentage gradually, and then kept going lower gradually to see louche? Or done the same with individual cuts regarding esters? Idk.
Just going through thoughts as they arise.
It does make sense that the lipids and long chain fatty acids would come over in the tails.
Either way I figured I’d already owe either Still Stirrin or NZCHRIS a beer by now :egeek:

Edit: Maybe a MOD can delete the post above this one? Done.
-Thomas Paine