May I have some advice please :)

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dathhu
Bootlegger

Re: May I have some advice please :)

Post by Dathhu »

A big problem with airstills is lack of power control, it'll more than likely smear heads, hearts and tails all together.

By the time the sting is gone from the heads into hearts you'd like to keep, you're probably pushing tails as well. Makes cuts kinda hard.

If you can run the condenser and boiler separately with a power controller you might have better luck.

Even a cheap potentiometer, dial style unit off eBay works well for this for under $20, if your unit has two different power inputs for heat and condensing.
Colqld
Novice

Post by Colqld »

Ok, I have been having fun with TPW and learning my little pot still. Having loads of fun and hubby is quite enjoying the by products :D
I am ready to have a go at a Kale wash, the only problem is I can't see to get hold of any Kale.
I do however have a massive amount of spinach, wondering if anyone has had a go with this instead of Kale.
In theory they are both leafy greens. I know Kale can be substituted in cooking for Spinach.
Should I have a go? Has anyone done this?? Am I being a complete moron?? :roll:
I am looking at using Googes Goo recipe which I have found. Reviews seem quite good.
I am still making neutral at the moment.
Looking forward to your replies.
Also want to take a sec to thank everyone who posts on this forum, you are appreciated. Especially by those who are new. :)
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Try Shady's Sugar Shine. It doesn't require any ingredients from your garden. I have one fermenting beside me right now, having been using a very similar recipe for decades.
Oatmeal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oatmeal »

I substituted a spinach analog called purple orach, although in rum, and another poster used napa cabbage. Next batch will probably be tffv or shady's, to compare, but was quite pleased with the kale as nutrient.

Spinach would work fine I bet.
Through the magic of alchemy, our spirits live on.
Colqld
Novice

Post by Colqld »

NZ Chris
I have done Shadys Sugar Shine, worked well. I have been doing a TPW which I quite like.
Just ready to try something new.
Thought I would give it a go and see how it turns out.

Oatmeal
I have used baby spinach, we had a big bag in the fridge so I ‘purloined’ some for an experiment. Can only give ita go I guess. I am interested to see how it works out compared to others.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I haven’t done a tow (birdwatchers) in years. It was my go too for neutrals.
Avalir
Swill Maker

Post by Avalir »

Thought I'd toss in my 2 cents. On break so only skimmed the comments already made, so I apologize for repeat info. I know at least this was mention, so sorry for the repeat but it's important: separating fractions by volume is usually not very effective and this is because there's numerous factors that can impact where you'll find your cuts (i.e. yeast, fermentation temperature, sugar content [overly high starting gravity can potentially cause yeast to be stressed and create more off flavors which generally equates to more heads], recipe, speed of the spirit run [can contribute to fractions smearing, type of still, etc. Going by smell and taste is best - I start by tasting safely into hearts (I usually go by where it starts to smell like hearts and taste a pint or two later), then work your way back to find your heads cut.
For yeast, a lot of people like bakers yeast for sugar washes, DADY yeast is also good and cheap.
You can also look further into using sodium carbonate (washing soda) or sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to help with cleaning up the taste and/or charcoal filtering if you're looking to salvage what you have.
I also find using too much sugar to be a huge contributor to getting a hot tasting product - I personally would do a sugar wash with no more than 1.5lbs per gallon, though you're probably pretty safe going up to 2lbs per gallon (you generally will want your sugar wash to end up no more than 10%).
Hope some of this was helpful.
"I am a man. And I can change. If I want to. I guess." ~Red Green
Colqld
Novice

Post by Colqld »

Hey folks, been a while since I have posted. I have been ticking away merrily. Had a go at apple pie moonshine - currently sitting in the back of the cupboard doing its thing. Having a go at cornflake whiskey - not too sure about that one. It is still fermenting out but will probably finish sometime next week and maybe start to do strip run. This is taking quite some time to ferment out - I did stuff it up slightly but have hopefully corrected it (with the help of my local brewshop). I got a little ahead of myself 😁
I am posting as I am trying to find out how to clean my copper saddles. I had a link somewhere, a recipe somewhere but I just cannot find it. I have tried looking in the chat but not really getting the response I am after.
Can someone please tell me how they clean their saddles? Recipe and ratios if you wouldn't mind.
Thank you for any help.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

Colqld wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:16 am
Can someone please tell me how they clean their saddles?

I clean my copper packing by soaking it in the hot backset after a stripping run.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

If they are copper saddles, backset/ dunder will clean them.
Failing that mix some citric acid with water and give them a soak in that. You can get citric acid in powder form at any supermarket.
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

you can also add a little hydrogen peroxide to your citric acid water mixture and that works really well on copper.
Sometimes I wonder why is that Frisbee getting bigger......and then it hits me.
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

Salt & white vinegar solution in a bottle with the copper and give them a good shake, they come out nice and shiney.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

OlympicMtDoo wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:59 am you can also add a little hydrogen peroxide to your citric acid water mixture and that works really well on copper.
What exactly is the benefit of adding the hydrogen peroxide?
I've cleaned a lot of copper and never seen the need.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:14 am
OlympicMtDoo wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:59 am you can also add a little hydrogen peroxide to your citric acid water mixture and that works really well on copper.
It’s one of Georges suggestions so it must be good 🤣
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Colqld wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:16 am Having a go at cornflake whiskey - not too sure about that one. It is still fermenting out but will probably finish sometime next week and maybe start to do strip run. This is taking quite some time to ferment out - I did stuff it up slightly but have hopefully corrected it (with the help of my local brewshop). I got a little ahead of myself 😁
Give Odin's Rye Bread recipe a try. That & using the 1.5 distillation technique was my go-to recipe/process until I upgraded to the 8 gal Digiboil.
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
harold01
Novice

Post by harold01 »

Just done my first cornflakes, weetbix and oats ferment, mate it took three weeks to finish, only run it tonight
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

Try it, it makes the citric acid work faster and better and it's cheep too!!
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

Yummyrum wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:09 pm
It’s one of Georges suggestions so it must be good 🤣
Sorry I don't know George, who is that?
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

Never mind yummy I googled George, I honestly had not heard of him before. I never have used youtube for any distilling info.