When you have a supportive partner..

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

When you have a supportive partner..

Post by Steve Broady »

So far, I’ve been cooling my condenser using a pot in the kitchen sink and an electric pump, keeping a little water flowing into the pot to keep it cool. I don’t want to use the faucet itself, so that it’s still usable during a run. The pot gives me enough reserve capacity that I can wash my hands, pour a glass of water, etc. as needed. I just let the pot overflow down the drain. It’s simple and functional.

I was reading a few threads on here where people mentioned adding a water line under the kitchen sink in order to cook their condensers. That sounded like a genius idea! I could get rid of the pot, just let the drain run into the sink, and have a simpler, quieter setup. But me being me, I kept thinking…

I love to cook, and I have a bit of a fetish for commercial kitchen equipment and practices. I’ve worked in and seen kitchens that has a faucet over the stove. If only I could do that… but my wife would never go for such a ridiculous idea. Right?

I mentioned the water line idea to her, and she was all for it. Then I mentioned my crazy idea for a faucet, thinking it was ridiculous. She was all for it! Turns out, that’s a thing. It’s called a pot filler faucet, and it’s a luxury thing in some home kitchens.

Long story short, I now have this!
77E53CEE-2DF6-4046-9269-A0B3B1F7048C.jpeg
8DA804FB-7E32-4137-A1D5-B1CD15A4EAAF.jpeg
Thank goodness for a wife who supports my crazy hobby!
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: When you have a supportive partner..

Post by Steve Broady »

Also, for anyone who might be in a similar position, I just learned about a MUCH cheaper and simpler way to keep from tying up the faucet. It’s not quite as good, and it’s nowhere near as fancy, but it is cheap..
842C6F06-B634-402E-9E7E-EBF314B5BD59.jpeg
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

It's a nice tap ... maybe you have to be careful about contact with water and electric plate / electrical parts.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Nice idea! Next level you need a drain in the stove!

For kitchen stillin I use a bain marie in the sink with a small pond pump in it and recirculate for the earlier part of the run when i'm not throwing so much power into the still then balance the faucet supply into the bain marie with hot water down the drain for the last half of the run where i'm hitting the still with more power and recirc can't keep up...

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

That’s pretty much what I’ve been doing, Johnny. I just got tired of tying up the sink, and listening to the pump. This is just a little easier to control, and less hassle.
019B3599-86D6-448D-ACC6-ED3B838EEDDB.jpeg
Finally got a chance to give the pot filler faucet it’s maiden run in its real job. So far, I’m loving it!
pumpman
Swill Maker

Post by pumpman »

Damn I need that. Great idea
Likker in the front and poker in the rear
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Go for it, pumpman! It was a super easy install, and well worth doing. All I did was add a tee after the cold water shutoff under my sink, then a 10’ dishwasher supply line to get the water over to the stove. Barely even spilled a drip of water in the process.
hawkwing
Swill Maker

Post by hawkwing »

Nice! Does she have a twin sister lol?
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

I don't think I've ever seen a faucet beside a stove like that, but I like it :thumbup:

I installed a Reverse Osmosis faucet beside our sink. It's great for making coffee because RO water doesn't cause scale/mineral buildup. It drives me CRAZY when my wife still uses the other faucet when making coffee.

My parents installed a unit beneath their sink connected to a separate hot water faucet. It put out steaming hot water on tap. Pretty handy and gets pots boiling much quicker.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

is that one of those "feminine traits" ? asking for a friend