After work special

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

After work special

Post by Stonecutter »

Just got off work. Feet and back are sore. It’s my Friday. Time for a drink. I think I’ll start with a beer in my frosty mug and see what happens. Who’s with me?
Attachments
17B8C7EB-06CC-4387-8865-63D4EF1DFFD6.jpeg
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: After work special

Post by 8Ball »

I’ll be yer huckleberry. Cheers!
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Happy Friday, Stonecutter! It’s been a long day here, and I’ve got a glass of wine in hand as I finally find some time to relax. That beer looks excellent, and I’d love to raise a glass with you any time!
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Cheers friends! :thumbup: Just had me some leftover pulled pork and beef short rib tacos. If that don’t help a person feel better I don’t know what will. In a bit of a food coma then it’s whatever the wife wants to watch on the tube and something in the Dram. Hell, it’s Friday we may even stay up past ten O’ clock :twisted:
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Right there with ya, brother. Gots me the new coasters that a member sent to me yesterday!
Attachments
IMG_7416.jpg
IMG_7418.jpg
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Cheers Twisted! Good call on that Sam Adam’s Oktoberfest my friend. Them are some damn fine coasters right there Brotha :lol:
Twisted Brick wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:46 pm Right there with ya, brother. Gots me the new coasters that a member sent to me yesterday!
-Thomas Paine
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Ain’t Friday yet but it damned sure should be. UJ on ice to ease the pains before bed. Cheers all.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Having a Stella after shutting the Bokakob down and cleaning up. A nice yield of neutral from various scraps that I'd forgotten about, very satisfying.

There was nothing worth using for my usual chaser from the neutral run, but my small Whatever Jar has had a few random additions lately and can't make up it's mind if it's a whiskey or a gin. It's very nice straight and is a good match for the Stella.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Cheers Stoney and friends

It’s Margarita Friday here tonight . It’s become a tradition and gets us through the week and especially , through Friday ….. we look forward to Margarita Friday and even our work mates are cottoning in .

GnT’s now . One Margorita is enough :oops:
Happy to say we grow our own Limes . I make our Cointreau from our Oranges and Mandarin's that we also grow . The Tequila is from HBS essence flavoured Neutral ….. but hey ….. I’ve been watching those Mescal Topics here , and thats a lot of hard work . Not to mention , thie isn’t Agave growing land .
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Tonight is racetracks with the boy! Wooo it’s by far my favorite after work special :D
Attachments
E78065FB-3F34-4EB6-922B-7938562C1324.jpeg
-Thomas Paine
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Well it ain't my Friday, but I made it to drinkin time. Don't worry, that bottle might be getting low but I still have two more gallons at 63% to make more.
And plenty more resting.
Attachments
20221110_171629.jpg
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Well it ain’t Friday here either but hey after a regular 40 minute converted to a two hour drive in the f*ckin snow it’s time for a special.
Tonight it’s a mix of cola with some JD and a bottom shelf Whiskey bottle I used to take my hooch to a party with. Every now and again I’ll kick back a whiskey coke with the shit.
E6BCAF21-30B1-4A40-8943-25B895FAFDA4.jpeg
134BDDC8-0BF8-4C32-B7CD-C0502D65E812.jpeg
-Thomas Paine
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Stonecutter wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:56 pm 134BDDC8-0BF8-4C32-B7CD-C0502D65E812.jpeg
Cute! Is that a leg up or light on her feet? :wtf:
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Yonder wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:02 pm
Stonecutter wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:56 pm 134BDDC8-0BF8-4C32-B7CD-C0502D65E812.jpeg
Cute! Is that a leg up or light on her feet? :wtf:
It’s a major award.
But seeing it keeps me light on my feet
-Thomas Paine
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Been raining here for days and I finally felt like a good old cigar. Mmm tasty. I gave this “Superior” cerveza a shot and I’m not thrilled. May be superior to dog piss I’m not sure but the smoke is damn fine :thumbup:
Attachments
image.jpg
-Thomas Paine
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Stonecutter wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:56 pm Well it ain’t Friday here either but hey after a regular 40 minute converted to a two hour drive in the f*ckin snow it’s time for a special.
Tonight it’s a mix of cola with some JD and a bottom shelf Whiskey bottle I used to take my hooch to a party with. Every now and again I’ll kick back a whiskey coke with the shit.
E6BCAF21-30B1-4A40-8943-25B895FAFDA4.jpeg
134BDDC8-0BF8-4C32-B7CD-C0502D65E812.jpeg
Those little JD glasses are a perfect size for a neat whiskey. I have a set of 2009 Ducks Unlimited single barrel glasses. One of them gets used daily.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

For old fashioned's or a really bad day at work. I used one of these
20230109_162745.jpg
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Deplorable wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:17 pm For old fashioned's or a really bad day at work. I used one of these
20230109_162745.jpg
Ahhha! Very nice Sir :thumbup: Yes I made myself an old fashioned with some Tully Dew last week. It was absolutely fantastic. I’m digging the engraving Brother.
-Thomas Paine
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Gotta love your favorite Old Fashioned glass. Like an old friend.
The wife accidentally broke a very special one a few years ago. Bless her heart she was beside herself. I was disappointed but it’s only a glass in the end. We came to an agreement that I would clean my own glasses from there on out.
-Thomas Paine
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Stonecutter wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:14 pm Gotta love your favorite Old Fashioned glass. Like an old friend.
The wife accidentally broke a very special one a few years ago. Bless her heart she was beside herself. I was disappointed but it’s only a glass in the end. We came to an agreement that I would clean my own glasses from there on out.
Yeah, Im not allowed to clean the wine glasses anymore. I broke two of them just trying to dry them. The stems are too fragile for manly hands I guess. :roll:
The masonic one is one I etched myself, if it gets broken its not a big loss. A rocks glass from the dollar store, a few cents worth of vinyl for the mask, and 5 minutes with some etching paste.
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

That don pepin looks fantastic Stoney. Making my mouth water. Always been at least a medium+ person myself.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

juana_b wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:48 pm That don pepin looks fantastic Stoney. Making my mouth water. Always been at least a medium+ person myself.
The Don Pepin is usually my go to Brother. Nice to see another member who enjoys the smoke 8)
If the cigar shop has the “box pressed” it’s going to be a good night. When pairing with whiskey I don’t venture much past a Colorado wrap as I like an Irish style Whiskey but when I’ve got some Scotch in the glass I do appreciate a nice Maduro.
Man, is it just me Juana but have you noticed cigar prices shooting through the roof as well?
-Thomas Paine
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

Stonecutter wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:00 pm
juana_b wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:48 pm That don pepin looks fantastic Stoney. Making my mouth water. Always been at least a medium+ person myself.
The Don Pepin is usually my go to Brother. Nice to see another member who enjoys the smoke 8)
If the cigar shop has the “box pressed” it’s going to be a good night. When pairing with whiskey I don’t venture much past a Colorado wrap as I like an Irish style Whiskey but when I’ve got some Scotch in the glass I do appreciate a nice Maduro.
Man, is it just me Juana but have you noticed cigar prices shooting through the roof as well?
Where I live, everything is expensive, and I have an ex, so yeah I've noticed. 😎.
I used to spend a good 10k a year on cigars until I moved here. I know, ridiculous, but it was my outlet back then when I used to work 60-80hr weeks like a man.😂
Love a good Maduro if it's full enough, same with a Colorado wrapper. Most sun-growns I'll gravitate towards Very few Camaroons are full enough for me but when they are I love the buttery quality. I miss the Oliva special s.
Best thing I can find here regularly is my father, and no one can knock that.
Years ago, before the line came out, I got to hang with the padron guys and smoke the family blend(when it was actually the family blend). Best sticks I've ever had, hands down.
Edit: I'm a lancero fanatic.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

juana_b wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:42 pm
Where I live, everything is expensive, and I have an ex, so yeah I've noticed. 😎.
I used to spend a good 10k a year on cigars until I moved here. I know, ridiculous, but it was my outlet back then when I used to work 60-80hr weeks like a man.😂
Love a good Maduro if it's full enough, same with a Colorado wrapper. Most sun-growns I'll gravitate towards Very few Camaroons are full enough for me but when they are I love the buttery quality. I miss the Oliva special s.
Years ago, before the line came out, I got to hang with the padron guys and smoke the family blend(when it was actually the family blend). Best sticks I've ever had, hands down.
Wow! Blowing smoke with the Padron guys back in the day!? What a cool experience. Lancero, now you’re speaking my language; the Oliva V’s were the first cigar I really latched onto and the Coheba’s are a fine cigar as well.

If you like sun-grown you must be a VSG fan am I right? They can be hard to find in my neck of the woods you just gotta know the right people :wink: The Gurkha’s? “Cellar 15 yr Reserve” is another great one too. However, I’m not sure if that one is “Sun-grown” or not.
-Thomas Paine
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Stonecutter wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:26 am
juana_b wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:42 pm
Wow! Blowing smoke with the Padron guys back in the day!? What a cool experience. Lancero, now you’re speaking my language; the Oliva V’s were the first cigar I really latched onto and the Coheba’s are a fine cigar as well.

If you like sun-grown you must be a VSG fan am I right? They can be hard to find in my neck of the woods you just gotta know the right people :wink: The Gurkha’s? “Cellar 15 yr Reserve” is another great one too. However, I’m not sure if that one is “Sun-grown” or not.
Back in the day I used to enjoy a good Parodi stogi. I hear that they are still around and now come in foo foo flavors too. 😎😎
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

8Ball wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:45 pm Back in the day I used to enjoy a good Parodi stogi. I hear that they are still around and now come in foo foo flavors too. 😎😎
Fufoo flavors for sure. Like vape pen people trying to smoke cigars… :moresarcasm:
-Thomas Paine
Just_Doug
Novice

Post by Just_Doug »

Another Cigar junkie here. I am more of a medium than full on the Nic, so I tend to gravitate to the Cameroon wrappers myself. Love most of the Fuente lines and the Olivia Series G.

I used to smoke a lot of Cuban cigars but they are beyond expensive now and not worth the price.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Deplorable wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:17 pm For old fashioned's or a really bad day at work. I used one of these
20230109_162745.jpg

Here’s a cigar I came across last week that’d go perfect with your Old Fashioned glass Brother.
93D008FF-B9DD-4AE9-AD63-1A929FA7F290.jpeg
-Thomas Paine
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Just_Doug wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:31 am Another Cigar junkie here. I am more of a medium than full on the Nic, so I tend to gravitate to the Cameroon wrappers myself. Love most of the Fuente lines and the Olivia Series G.

I used to smoke a lot of Cuban cigars but they are beyond expensive now and not worth the price.
Fuentes are great. Nice to see the cigar junkies representing
-Thomas Paine
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Stonecutter wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:07 pm
Nice to see the cigar junkies representing
Not quite the junkie, but a nice stog every now and then is a treat on the golf course or on the patio after dinner on a summer evening with a coupla fingers...

Back in the day (late 1970's) I first got introduced to a small cigar shop about 20min drive from home. It's shop owner, Pablo Frias, had emigrated from Cuba to the US which he ran with both his sons. Fresh cigars was all they sold. My brother and I would stop in and watch the three of them hand-rolling cigars (over 500/day) with incredible efficiency, never a wasted motion, relaxed and always smoking a cigar. The entire shop smelled like sweet, aged tobacco and it was easy to lose time just watching them work. The cigars (Robustos, Coronas, and my fav - Churchills) were first rate, and when I first went there, cigars cost $1 each. A few years later they had risen to $3. We went there for many years and I remember the feeling of loss when they closed their doors for good.
Attachments
Teri Storefront.jpeg
Pablo Frias.jpeg
Teri Leaf.jpeg
Teri rolled filler.jpeg
Teri cigar molds.jpeg
Teri Cubanakan Box.jpeg
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer