Copper ball/onion

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SDEngr1
Novice

Re: Copper ball/onion

Post by SDEngr1 »

It would also be easy to suspend a bag of botanical s in the onion to make gin, etc. without purchasing a gin basket.
Newtothis
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Newtothis »

squigglefunk wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:42 am

running a still more slowly really will not affect the proof in any significant way and blowing air on a copper onion will only create the tiniest bit of reflux ... so... pretty much anything you are experiencing could be replicated with no onion as far as I can tell. 8)

Well just did an experiment with the onion, no air and a fan on low blowing air. So no air late in a run of a sour mash I’m coming off the still at 104 , then turn a fan on low facing the onion let it run for a few minutes then check the proof and it’s coming out at 124. I think that is actually a rather significant change. I suspect there is quite a bit more reflux going on from the air circulation around the onion.
Attachments
DB08E2F4-CAC5-425C-85A4-31551263A910.jpeg
0C46A70D-628C-4D09-84CC-4C88FD469B52.jpeg
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

Newtothis wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:47 pm Well just did an experiment with the onion, no air and a fan on low blowing air. So no air late in a run of a sour mash I’m coming off the still at 104 , then turn a fan on low facing the onion let it run for a few minutes then check the proof and it’s coming out at 124. I think that is actually a rather significant change. I suspect there is quite a bit more reflux going on from the air circulation around the onion.
:thumbup: for sure sounds like a nice bump in the proof, i remember doing something similar using cold rags on the copper riser and getting a bump in the proof, but I ended up getting a dephlegmator to use for such runs where I want to control reflux. I never thought of it as controlling flavors tho, more so to make neutral. For the most part I run a regular pot still and double distill to get the purity and flavors I am going for. I do want to experiment with setting the reflux column back up and running it "de-tuned" as a "one and done" type of run to revisit such types of "control" and I have to admit I'd never thought of using an onion that way.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Any thoughts from the group on packing an onion or helmet in addition to a column section with an RC above?

Thanks,
jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
SDEngr1
Novice

Post by SDEngr1 »

Just did my first tasting of Corn 85/15 Rye bourbon through my alembic dome after 30 days of maturing...fantastic!!!
Don't know how much the dome had on taste but markedly better than without. Soooooooooo glad I purchased one!
Oatmeal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oatmeal »

Knife_man wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:51 pm
What size is that ball?
Missed this question. Apologies! 8" sphere. The pieces came from new England copper works, I believe.
Through the magic of alchemy, our spirits live on.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

I got a copper pot free from a yard sale that failed I'm gonna try and make into a bubble ball for my pot. Just for looks.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Hot Rod Distiller on E bay has quite a selection. They aren't cheap but they look like nice stuff. I see they are sent out of Minneapolis to head off the US Customs delays and questions. It looks like they are out of 2" ones now. They are a pretty popular size. https://www.ebay.com/str/hotroddistiller
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
SDEngr1
Novice

Post by SDEngr1 »

6 Row Joe wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:52 am Hot Rod Distiller on E bay has quite a selection. They aren't cheap but they look like nice stuff. I see they are sent out of Minneapolis to head off the US Customs delays and questions. It looks like they are out of 2" ones now. They are a pretty popular size. https://www.ebay.com/str/hotroddistiller
That's the distributor I purchased from...super fast shipping! The item was much thicker than I imagined and amazing quality.
Knife_man
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Knife_man »

Oatmeal wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:04 am
Knife_man wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:51 pm
What size is that ball?
Missed this question. Apologies! 8" sphere. The pieces came from new England copper works, I believe.
Thanks I figured about 8"
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

Totally agree on the “looks cool” comments.

We’d be lying to ourselves if we didn’t let aesthetics sway our building or buying decisions. Makes me think of all the flute builds, they look so cool. Watching the bubbles also adds another dimension to the hobby, which I really enjoy!

I clicked on the link, looks like they make nice stuff!