Expensive friends

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Expensive friends

Post by Steve Broady »

Hanging out with you folks can get expensive! I just placed a couple orders totally over $600, which is basically all of my hobby budget for quite some time, buying a whole bunch of stainless steel. Some of it is shaped like tri-clamp fittings, some like cam lock fittings, and there's some other stuff in there too. All still related somehow. I told my wife that I was thinking about making some upgrades, and she said "You wouldn't be you if you weren't." Fair point. I'm having as much fun designing and building as I do making product. So now I have a whole bunch of new fun too look forward to!
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Expensive friends

Post by rubberduck71 »

Steve Broady wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:59 pm Hanging out with you folks can get expensive!
I'm with ya. I just got my Discover bill & WTF it's like 3x as much as it usually is...

I just started dabbling with brewing beer & of course there's some overlap with equip, but sooooooooo many nifty accessories!!!
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

I consider it as an investment. I figure I'm saving money at this point. Maybe one day my liver will disagree, but until then ...
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

I did something I shouldn’t have done. I started adding up what I’ve spent. Probably the better part of $1000 on hardware, several hundred on bottles, buckets, barrel chunks, tools, and the like. $500 or so on BadMo barrels. I figure I’m at least $2000 in at this point. And that’s not counting the cost of the ingredients I’ve used. I’m sure I’ll eventually see that as a savings, but I’ll have to drink a lot of liquor to amortize the bill so far.

It’s still money well spent though. I’m having fun, and it’s cheaper than the same amount of time spent with women.. even before my wife found out!
Last edited by Steve Broady on Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Yeah it's an expensive hobby
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Well worth the investment
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Steve Broady wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:13 pm it’s cheaper than the same amount of time spent with women..
That is a fact :thumbup:
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:06 pm I consider it as an investment. I figure I'm saving money at this point. Maybe one day my liver will disagree, but until then ...
Right!! Good quote.
There are lots of hobbies that can quickly chew up far more cash home distilling and be cast aside long before your still even gets a decent patina.
Cheers
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

And worth every penny.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Nothing in life is "free", as there is always a cost, be for a useful endeavor or not, and this hobby is no more expensive than anything else, it just seem as such..

What is the cost of food just to keep one alive, or the cost of car just so one can get from A to B faster..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Please don’t misunderstand, this was said entirely in jest. I’m thrilled to be able to spend the money, support a small business with at least part of it, and of course I’m looking forward to many years of good use out of everything. I don’t begrudge or regret a dime of it. I was just amused, as that’s the largest single expenditure I’ve made for the hobby (or indeed for any hobby, with the exception of my table saw) to date.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Steve Broady wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:13 pm I did something I shouldn’t have done. I started adding up what I’ve spent. Probably the better part of $1000 on hardware, several hundred on bottles, buckets, barrel chunks, tools, and the like. $500 or so on BadMo barrels. I figure I’m at least $2000 in at this point. And that’s not counting the cost of the ingredients I’ve used. I’m sure I’ll eventually see that as a savings, but I’ll have to drink a lot of liquor to amortize the bill so far.

It’s still money well spent though. I’m having fun, and it’s cheaper than the same amount of time spent with women.. even before my wife found out!
Haha! Indeed. Anyone who thinks this is the fast, cheap road to award winning liquor has another thing coming! I'll never drink enough to cover my costs. Let alone the hours! But pouring a wee dram for guest and seeing their eyes and hearing them say incredulously "you made this?". Priceless.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

stillanoob wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:59 am I'll never drink enough to cover my costs. Let alone the hours!
The more time I spend at this, the more I appreciate the time that goes into every aspect. If Jim Croce had been a distiller, he would have known that you can indeed save time in a bottle!
stillanoob wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:59 am But pouring a wee dram for guest and seeing their eyes and hearing them say incredulously "you made this?". Priceless.
That’s it in a nutshell. Being able to surprise and impress people and to be proud of what you’re serving is with a great deal.
Dee Envy
Novice

Post by Dee Envy »

I just keep thinking, "What else am I going to spend my money on".
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

The good news is once you have a decent sized still completed, and "some more" fermenter space, and some grain brewing equipment, and some barrels, and some low wine storage, and some white dog storage... the hemorrhaging slows :)
:)
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

Funny how things go. When I started I was sweating how much I was paying for pH paper. A few kegs, sticks of copper, tig welder and electric supply for it and now I'm "look SPP for a decent price!"

I guess it's cheaper than hookers and blow.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

Funny how things go. When I started I was sweating how much I was paying for pH paper. A few kegs, sticks of copper, tig welder and electric supply for it and now I'm "look SPP for a decent price!"

I guess it's cheaper than hookers and blow.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

elbono wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:44 pm I guess it's cheaper than hookers and blow.
:lol: You got that right
StillerBoy wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:41 am
What is the cost of food just to keep one alive, or the cost of car just so one can get from A to B faster..

Mars
I keep trying to tell my wife that hooch is just as important as food but she just won’t listen :wink:
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

[/quote]
I keep trying to tell my wife that hooch is just as important as food but she just won’t listen :wink:
[/quote]

Just inform the Missus, (You can't tell them anything) that Hooch is a food group, Vit B = beer, distill beer end up with vit B+, ....shit I'm mistaking food groups with vitamins, cereals is a food group. Liquid cereal + vitamins.
I know it's a bit of a stretch but if you get that confounded deer in the headlights look from the Missus, consider it a win.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I've been hanging out with a different crowd.

I only use one still that I didn't build, a 3l copper alembic that I bought for a fraction of it's new price. All the rest are based on scrapyard and charity shop finds, (I found an ideal gin basket at the recyclers today when dumping some steel), and were built by myself and tradie mates that I work or drink with. Most of the fittings had to be bought new.

My Charantaise preheater was built very early on, and saved me a huge amount of time and electricity bills over the following three decades.

Most of what I spend on hardware now goes towards upgrading automation.

Her Indoors likes what I make for her, so there is never an issue with how much we spend on ingredients and plants to grow them.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I've spent far more on my gun hobby, and most of those rarely see the light of day outside my gun safe. Hell, I've spent more money on my ammo fort than I have on distilling.
If I only count what I've spent on equipment for this hobby, and not the cost of the ingredients, which ultimately gets consumed, this is a far cheaper hobby than any I've had in the past.

Come to think of it, my NFA taxes were more than I have in my still. LOL
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Deplorable wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:43 pm… Come to think of it, my NFA taxes were more than I have in my still.
Form 4?

I have a couple stamps myself. :lol:
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Steve Broady wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:32 am
Please don’t misunderstand, this was said entirely in jest. I’m thrilled to be able to spend the money.

I'd bet good money that as a group, homedistillers pay more in sales tax.
Than we cheat the gobernment out of liquor tax. :lol:
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

still_stirrin wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:11 pm
Deplorable wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:43 pm… Come to think of it, my NFA taxes were more than I have in my still.
Form 4?

ss
Hehe yeah. A couple cans and an sbr.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

The thing is at some point you will stop investing and realize a return on your investment.
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Deplorable wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:47 am
Form 4?

ss
It's an unfortunately, artificially expensive part of The 2nd amendment enthusiasm... But so worth it.
The only thing not suppressed in my collection is my WeatherBy 18i shotgun... So far.

I like my SBR AR with can and Fostech echo sport II binary trigger... Just can't afford to shoot it in fun mode these days
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

shadylane wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:05 pm
Steve Broady wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:32 am
Please don’t misunderstand, this was said entirely in jest. I’m thrilled to be able to spend the money.

I'd bet good money that as a group, homedistillers pay more in sales tax.
Than we cheat the gobernment out of liquor tax. :lol:
Haha! So incredibly true.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

RockinRockies wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:09 am
Form 4?

ss
It's an unfortunately, artificially expensive part of The 2nd amendment enthusiasm... But so worth it.
The only thing not suppressed in my collection is my WeatherBy 18i shotgun... So far.

I like my SBR AR with can and Fostech echo sport II binary trigger... Just can't afford to shoot it in fun mode these days
:shh: Dont speak out loud of the NFA tax lest the government bureaucrats realize the tax has never been raised since it's inception. If adjusted for inflation, the NFA tax today would be over $4200 for each tax stamp not the $200 we unjustly pay.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Steve Broady wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:59 pm Hanging out with you folks can get expensive! I just placed a couple orders totally over $600, which is basically all of my hobby budget for quite some time,
I see the problem, Ya need a bigger budget.
You can't be a proper homedistiller until all the money is spent.
And your too poor to afford store bought liquor. :lol:
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

Deplorable wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:44 am
RockinRockies wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:09 am
Form 4?

ss

:shh: Dont speak out loud of the NFA tax lest the government bureaucrats realize the tax has never been raised since it's inception. If adjusted for inflation, the NFA tax today would be over $4200 for each tax stamp not the $200 we unjustly pay.
Hah! Good point