Sorghum Rum

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

Ifounditlikethat
Novice

Sorghum Rum

Post by Ifounditlikethat »

I’ve spent quite a few hours lately calling sorghum farmers from southern Indian to northern Georgia. I didn’t do it for the sake of my upcoming attempts to make sorghum rum. I’m looking at planting a few acres on my farm for a long list of beneficial reasons. Here are some things I learned that directly concern distilled spirits.

Sorghum and sugar cane are genetically closer to one another than most varieties of corn are to their family members. And even then, there are allot of verities of sugar cane and sorghum. A good comparison a farmer made while I visited was comparing cane verities to cherry trees.

Sorghum whiskey is made by harvesting the giant seed heads and using them as part of a grain bill for a wash.

Sorghum rum was a big deal pre-prohibition in the mid-west USA. Prohibition is what knocked sorghum out of the top 5 crops to grow. Apparently growing sorghum in East TN was a surefire way to get a bunch of people in hoods burning a cross in your field because alcohol “undermined the good Christian values white peoples should uphold” or some crap like that. People plowed under their sorghum and grew tobacco instead.

So; regardless of what the TTB or anybody else says, I’m calling what I’m about to ferment sorghum rum. After turkey day I’m going up the road to get 5 gallons of sorghum syrup from a nearby farmer. I have no idea how many proof gallons I’m going to get, but I’ll keep y’all posted. I’ve never made any kind of rum until now so I figured I’ll post my plans and get feedback before I waste ingredients.

Recipe 1:
2 cups raisins
10 gallons water
2 gallons sorghum syrup
Top up with brown sugar until I hit a SG I’m happy with
Pitch rum yeast I started the day before on molasses and nutrient blend.
Split the wash into two fermenters and add cheese culture to one of them. That was actually a suggestion from an old Amish guy in Ohio. We have it on the farm for making cheese so I figured I’d try it.
Let it ferment out dry and rack into secondaries for another week mostly for the benefit of the cheese infection bucket.

I’m using an 8 gallon speak easy so I’ll do separate stripping and first spirit runs. If there is a noticeable difference between the two I’ll keep the third run separate. If not it’s all getting mixed together

I’ve got an 8qt BadMo bbl with medium toast and light char waiting for it. If the first try is crap I’ll at least get to season my barrel for a few weeks before serving some swill to my Marine Corps buddies over the holidays.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Sorghum Rum

Post by subbrew »

Here is a thread on a similar idea viewtopic.php?t=84486

I am going to make a honey and sorghum "rum". Hopefully start the ferment this weekend or next week some time. So will be interested to follow this thread.

You didn't get any information on what they use to crush their canes did you?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Ifounditlikethat wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:27 pm 2 cups raisins
What are the raisins supposed to do / be for?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you want to know what sorghum rum tastes like, leave out the raisins and brown sugar, you can always try them later.

Personally, I would add water to the syrup to get my target abv, then add some DAP and boiled yeast for nutrient, bakers yeast, maybe Epsom salts. Trawling the net might find useful info on needed nutrients, (plus some useless info. :roll: )

I tried to grow it from seeds last year, but the seeds weren't viable.
Double_Deuces
Novice

Post by Double_Deuces »

Cool post. Very interested in how it goes.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Last fall I did a sorghum juice spirit from fresh juiced sorghum cane - not the syrup which is cooked down juice. Very unique - similar to cachaca. I've got about 1/2 gallon left @ 142pf. It's not my every day drinker but I do like it. There's a distillery near me that does a sorghum rum made from the syrup - they actually source it from the same farm.

The fresh juice fermented fast with no nutrients or anything.

Either way, I recommend it and will probably do it again next harvest!

Cheers,
j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Just_Doug
Novice

Post by Just_Doug »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:28 am Last fall I did a sorghum juice spirit from fresh juiced sorghum cane - not the syrup which is cooked down juice. Very unique - similar to cachaca. I've got about 1/2 gallon left @ 142pf. It's not my every day drinker but I do like it. There's a distillery near me that does a sorghum rum made from the syrup - they actually source it from the same farm.

Cheers,
j
Do you happen to remember what the ABV of your wash was when it finished? There is a local grower near me and I may take whack at buying some juice from them next year.

D.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Just_Doug wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:06 am
jonnys_spirit wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:28 am Last fall I did a sorghum juice spirit from fresh juiced sorghum cane - not the syrup which is cooked down juice. Very unique - similar to cachaca. I've got about 1/2 gallon left @ 142pf. It's not my every day drinker but I do like it. There's a distillery near me that does a sorghum rum made from the syrup - they actually source it from the same farm.

Cheers,
j
Do you happen to remember what the ABV of your wash was when it finished? There is a local grower near me and I may take whack at buying some juice from them next year.

D.
It was about 1.060
Some more notes here:
viewtopic.php?t=84486&hilit=sorghum+agricole

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Ifounditlikethat
Novice

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:17 pm
Ifounditlikethat wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:27 pm 2 cups raisins
What are the raisins supposed to do / be for?
Nutrients, PH and flavor complexity since I have no backset/dunder. Adding lactic cultures will crash my PH to a 3 if I don’t provide a buffer and raisins are cheap. 2 cups is just a guess, I’ll have to see what my OG is and math things out before pitching.
Ifounditlikethat
Novice

NZChris wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:06 pm If you want to know what sorghum rum tastes like, leave out the raisins and brown sugar, you can always try them later.

Personally, I would add water to the syrup to get my target abv, then add some DAP and boiled yeast for nutrient, bakers yeast, maybe Epsom salts. Trawling the net might find useful info on needed nutrients, (plus some useless info. :roll: )

I tried to grow it from seeds last year, but the seeds weren't viable.
I’m eventually getting cuttings, but I’ve got some dirt work to do first.

I can buy pure “white” sorghum rum from several places in my area. It’s good, but I like darker rums. I’m trying to make something with the earthy freshness of the sorghum base with the slightest bit of musk and oak layered into it. I’ve also got access to many more gallons of syrup so it’s easier to dilute than to add
Just_Doug
Novice

Post by Just_Doug »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:18 pm
Just_Doug wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:06 am

Cheers,
j

D.
It was about 1.060
Some more notes here:
viewtopic.php?t=84486&hilit=sorghum+agricole

Cheers!
-j
Thanks Much!
D.
Ifounditlikethat
Novice

Project got put off a week. Got off the road late last night and totally forgot to go get syrup. I’m making some root beer for the kids and altbier for me instead lol.
Ifounditlikethat
Novice

Ok…… had some life things happen and the rum project got put WAY off. Finally prepped up for brew day tomorrow. I’m kind of glad I put this project off as long as I did. I’ve learned allot about PH, tomato past, how hard to push my yeast, and all the other crafty stuff you learn from small batch experimenting while laid up after surgery. I’ll be doing things on the fly tomorrow based on readings so I won’t post the final stuff until then. Biggest change is going to be my fermenter. I’ve got a new 55 gallon pickle barrel I converted (after allot of cleaning and a sacrificial ferment) so I’m not trying to cram everything into buckets. This is also going to give me more play with initial gravity and final ABV of the wash. More stripping runs, but hopefully better fermentation and final drinking profile.
Attachments
IMG_3317.jpeg
IMG_3316.jpeg
Ifounditlikethat
Novice

subbrew wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:03 pm Here is a thread on a similar idea viewtopic.php?t=84486

I am going to make a honey and sorghum "rum". Hopefully start the ferment this weekend or next week some time. So will be interested to follow this thread.

You didn't get any information on what they use to crush their canes did you?
Most places used a mule drawn mill. I’m leaning toward a modern electric version. I’ve been told the trick is getting one big enough to handle the diameter of cane you grow.

How’d your sorghum and honey wash turn out?
Ifounditlikethat
Novice

Ok.. normally I don’t get nerdy about washes, but sorghum syrup is expensive and I want this to work right.

I started with 5 gallons of sorghum syrup from Muddy Pond.

Next step was to dissolve the syrup in hot water, that put me at 12 gallons with a gravity of 1.14 and a ph of 6 (it’s the water on my farm.)

28 oz can of tomato paste, 4lbs of brown sugar, four crushed prenatal vitamins, 1/4 cup bread yeast, a smattering of yeast nutrient, a sprinkle of raisins an several tablespoons of citric acid into three gallons of water got brought to a full boil for 15 minutes. I’m happy to nerd out about my thinking so ask away.

Topped up with ice cold water to 28 gallons with a starting gravity of 1.1 and a ph of 4.7. I aerated through the bottom valve of the fermenter for about an hour until temp was down to 80 F. I pitched my 2000ml starter and two more still spirits rum pouches. An hour in and I’ve got bubbles at the tiny airlock (my stuff to make a 2” one is on back order.)

I’ll be doing five stripping runs through my 8 gallon speak easy still (too much more than 6 gallons means it will puke) and using dunder/backset to dilute down for the spirit run/runs (volume will dictate.

Fingers crossed I’ll end up with 3-4 gallons finished rum to experiment with. Most of it is going into a badmo barrel and onto the aging rack for the next few years, but I want to play with a spiced version (wife’s request) and a coconut :sick: (it’s for a Marine brother.)

I’m going to be nervous that this whole thing is going to be a hot mess until it’s had some forced aging done and I know something drinkable came from it. This is allot of work to end up with lamp oil and generator fuel.
Attachments
IMG_3323.jpeg
IMG_3322.jpeg
IMG_3321.jpeg
IMG_3320.jpeg
Ifounditlikethat
Novice

24 hours into the ferment. It smells lovely!! Wife is pissed that the entire house smells like a distillery, but I love it.
Ifounditlikethat
Novice

I’ve been agitating the fermenter daily to try and keep the gas buildup under control. I just kicked the agitation today and it blew the No. 11 stopper and airlock out of the fermenter. I guess my baby needed burped more often. Fermentation is definitely slowing down. I’ll check gravity and PH tomorrow evening. Normally I don’t care about PH past making sure I adjust for the spring water on the farm, but I figure I’ll start refining the process with these big ferments.

On a separate note I think I’m going to catch some trub off the big fermenter and use backset from the current wash to add in a little molasses and brown sugar for a 10 gallon wash. I prefer dark rums and am lucky enough to have a marine brother that’s all about rum. He’s got a bottle of Black Tot special blend stuff that’s AMAZING, but I’m way too noob at distilling to get close to that; one day maybe.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Ifounditlikethat wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:44 am

Most places used a mule drawn mill. I’m leaning toward a modern electric version. I’ve been told the trick is getting one big enough to handle the diameter of cane you grow.

How’d your sorghum and honey wash turn out?
so far so good. The honey came through but still has the molasses flavors. Cuts and blending was a bit of a challenge as honey flavor was early, near or with heads so I ended up cutting higher in the heads than I usually would. As such I think it will need to age for a couple of years minimum.
Ifounditlikethat
Novice

subbrew wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:48 am
Ifounditlikethat wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:44 am
so far so good. The honey came through but still has the molasses flavors. Cuts and blending was a bit of a challenge as honey flavor was early, near or with heads so I ended up cutting higher in the heads than I usually would. As such I think it will need to age for a couple of years minimum.
I do allot of mead. I haven’t ran any of it through the still though. Honey has a weird property of needing aged for a minimum of 18 months before it mellows down. Im drowning my sorrows from popping a tractor tire today with a 2 year old wild violet sweet and sparkling mead.
Attachments
IMG_3345.jpeg
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Ifounditlikethat wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:09 pm

I do allot of mead. I haven’t ran any of it through the still though. Honey has a weird property of needing aged for a minimum of 18 months before it mellows down. Im drowning my sorrows from popping a tractor tire today with a 2 year old wild violet sweet and sparkling mead.
Sorry about the tire. That is an expensive opps. I need to go buy a couple of them and am not looking forward to it.

I do some mead myself. Just finished a bottle of 2016 traditional mead last night. I have found Bochet to be drinkable young yet age very well. I have also done some session melomels at only 6% or so that are good young.
Ifounditlikethat
Novice

I found a set of used tires already on the rim and filled for a great price so it didn’t hurt as much as it could have. Most of what I ferment comes off the property or the surrounding county. Usually it’s after the Mrs messed up a batch of something. I’ve got a honeysuckle mead in a one gallon cemented because she left the tea on the counter too long and it started wild fermenting on her. Only thing I get first dibbs on is the elderberries because she doesn’t like the work involved sorting them out for jelly and syrups.

Doing stripping runs this evening. It’s probably going to take a few days since I can only do 6 gallons at a time without my 8 gallon speak easy puking. Looking to have a long Saturday evening doing the final spirit run.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Ifounditlikethat wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:35 pm I’ve got a honeysuckle mead
Wow, you just triggered a long buried pleasant memory. When I first moved to the city I live in now, we were renting a house in the historic district that had a fence with a stone base with wrought iron railing & it had honeysuckle bushes growing the length of it. Fond memories of my now departed mum showing me how to pull them stem off the bottom of the flower to enjoy the taste. But I can't imagine how the heck to harvest it on a large scale!
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Ifounditlikethat
Novice

rubberduck71 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:30 pm
Ifounditlikethat wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:35 pm I’ve got a honeysuckle mead
Wow, you just triggered a long buried pleasant memory. When I first moved to the city I live in now, we were renting a house in the historic district that had a fence with a stone base with wrought iron railing & it had honeysuckle bushes growing the length of it. Fond memories of my now departed mum showing me how to pull them stem off the bottom of the flower to enjoy the taste. But I can't imagine how the heck to harvest it on a large scale!
We use child labor lol. They get 1 gallon buckets to fill up if they want the breaker turned back on to the TV and WiFi. Mrs makes a decent profit every summer selling syrups and jellies at the local farmers market. We use a 1 to 4 ratio when using any wild flowers for jelly or fermenting. If you want a 5 gallon wash you need 1 gallon of flower tea (hot water poured over the fresh flowers.) You don’t have to collect it all at once and you can make stronger tea if you’re wanting to run it through the still. Things like honeysuckle and wild violet have allot of natural sugar in the blossoms so watch your gravity when adding sugar or honey.
Ifounditlikethat
Novice

Oof-dah!!

5 stripping runs complete, I had puking issues on the first run so I decided to lower my volume a bit and run the still harder. The extra stripping run was totally worth it because I could run the still way harder.
I took each run down to 10% except the last one, I stopped at about 18% on that one when my total low wines were at 37% because I’m super close on max still volume.
I got 7.2 gallons of 38% low wines from 28 gallon of wash so that’s about 15% ABV in the wash (y’all can break out a calculator ant troll me, I’m just guessing.) so the rum yeast I used did way better than what I figured I’d get out of it, or it was the raisins; I’m telling myself it was the raisins.

I’m going to push the spirit run a little harder than I normally would because all five striping runs had a great flavor at about 80% ABV that I want to try and keep. Ill use my induction cooker instead of propane so I can play with the vapor speeds. Hard into the faints for about 24 oz of lantern fuel then I’ll back way off and go hunting for the smooth buttery goodness I drooled over today. This is definitely a rolling cuts project because I’d drink what I found hiding in there straight off the still. I might use some smaller badmo barrels to get more of a blended rum. I’m thinking one with a medium toast and one with a light toast, neither with a char, she’s going to be a light and gentle lady me thinks.
Last edited by Ifounditlikethat on Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ifounditlikethat
Novice

Just started the spirit run. I didn’t take any fore shots during the stripping runs so the first 24 oz will go into the lantern fuel can. Mrs was unimpressed when I packed several boxes of her caning jars outside, but she’s going to love the mojitos. I’m using the “down time” over the last three days to do maintenance on all our solar fence energizer, solar water tank pump and backup batteries. You don’t realize how much stuff you have until you pile it up in one place and start fiddling with it.
Ifounditlikethat
Novice

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:22 pm It looks an awefull lot like that still is running a plastic or silicone take off tube.
Please check the forum rules , we don't want to see synthetic materials in contact with spirit here.
It’s neither but I took the pic down so nobody else got the wrong idea. It’s a very specialized piece of lab equipment that’s $22 USD/ft if you can find a place that sells it to the average Joe. Don’t use hydrocarbon based polymers on your still folks, it’s bad for you.
Ifounditlikethat
Novice

I’m board and have lots of time left on this run so let me break out my tinfoil hat.

Really you shouldn’t put anything in your body that’s had contact with plastic, or aluminum, or Teflon. After about a year in the petroleum industry I stopped buying any food that came in plastic packaging. The FDA was going to regulate the hell out of plastics 15 years ago when the lab research about micro plastics finally filtered its way down to politicians. The US settled on BPA regulations and patted themselves on the back because food packaging is so broken people would starve before it got fixed. They are working on the problem little bits at a time, but any regulation they put in place will crash the pharmaceutical industry. Gell capsules are almost 100% micro plastic and there isn’t a reasonable alternative out there.

You also shouldn’t buy economy grade gaskets for your still, but you’re getting way more PPM of micro plastics into your system from a bag of apples or plastic container of strawberries. What’s considered “food grade” plastic is laughable but you’ll breath in 200x more micro plastic particulate from 1 hour on the interstate than you’ll get from fermenting a wash in a bucket for two weeks. 99% of teflon tape types hit you with a chemical cocktail anytime it gets above 150 deg F or exposed to MEK combinations. Same with PFE/ PEF type plastics used in most common ball valves. You’re still going to get less PPM of micro plastic and petrochemical exposure from any of those than you will from eating a hostess cupcake or drinking name brand orange juice.

To make things worse, you’re doing way more damage to your body by using anything non stick in the kitchen and seriously jacking up your lymphatic system anytime you eat food that was cooked in contact with aluminum. Don’t worry too much about that though since it’s nowhere close to the damage done to you by the heavy metals and water soluble petrochemicals coming from a single catalytic converter.

While saying all that makes me sound like a crazy person you wouldn’t know the thickness of my tinfoil hat by hanging out at the farm having a drink with me. I still have the normal things most people have. I just go the extra mile and buy a chemistry funnel to bottle my spirits instead of the cheapest plastic one I can find on Amazon.
Ifounditlikethat
Novice

I’m at that magical point in the run where I’m wondering if this was a stupid idea since I could get the same thing in Nashville. I know this whole process is 100% worth it, but the little voice of doubt gets louder every hour I’m sitting here.

On an actual distilling note: Does anyone else get false tails? It’s happened to me a couple times with this 8 gallon speak easy still. I think I’m tasting the first bit of wet cardboard and swap jars. Then is goes away after maybe an ounce, I swap in a fresh collector and put the two problem children in a corner to think about what they’ve done. When I go back and taste them the hint of tails isn’t there any more.
Attachments
IMG_3417.jpeg
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

My smelling notes off the still don't usually match up with my comments when choosing the jars for the heart cut.

That said, there are many threads about using 'sweet water' jars from beyond the first cardboard jar. Many of the posters noting it are shutting their strips down at a way higher ABV than I do, so that might explain why I've never noticed it. I might shut a strip down at 37% in the receiver for neutral, but never for a flavored product as there is still quite a bit more flavor and yield to be had. The ABVs I'm going down to are borrowed from old commercial distilleries that are making products that I like.
Ifounditlikethat
Novice

I’m sorting my jars right now. I’ve got a small badmo that’s got all the really light and buttery in there at 60%. I’ve got a big badmo with all the decent but not amazing in it at 50%. Then I’ve got some jars I’m letting air out after putting them at 45% that are going to be spiced and other flavored stuff. Total volume that made the cut so far is 4 gallons of good stuff after dilution.