Can we use DME as base for Vodka ?

A MUST READ FORUM Place where new distillers can read many of the important documents that help introduce them to distilling. This is a read-only forum.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fxaddicted
Novice

Can we use DME as base for Vodka ?

Post by Fxaddicted »

i don't want to use plain sugar at all so I'm thinking to go all grain but with Wheat Dry Malt Extract " 65% wheat malt and 35% barley"

do you think it's better if i do all grain mash my self or DME can do the job as good as that ? it seems DME will save a tons of time
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Re: Can we use DME as base for Vodka ?

Post by Salt Must Flow »

It will work, but it's a bit expensive isn't it?
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

It’s definitely worth a shot. Have you ever attempted a “vodka” run or AG mash before? What are your expectations for this vodka? I ASSume you’re looking for mouthfeel and a slight flavor profile. Not a bad approach. I’ve never worked with DME interested to see how that turns out for you. I haven’t looked but I’m 99% sure there’s some threads buried here that address this idea. I enjoy making whiskey so my vote would be to do the “real” thing but the other side of that coin is that mashing is a labor of love and to put all that time and effort into making a mash just to strip the flavor out seems backwards. TFFV could be an alternative.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

There are many better uses for the expense extract.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

DME foams a lot on the strip. So it’s a slow strip to keep it from puking.

Give it a go and see how you feel about it:)

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

You can make vodka out of almost any fermenable starch/sugar.
Some will be more efficient, some will have more flavor or mouthfeel and some will just be a pain in the ass.
A lot will depend on your equipment and procedures. I make an extremely neutral extremely clean neutral/vodka from Shady’s Sugar Shine. I have also made great vodka from 100% white wheat malt. Both were fairly easy washes/mashes. The real time came in from running them multiple times. When I first started brewing beer some many years ago I started with DME (I always preferred DME to LME). It didn’t take long until I switched to an all grain brewer. You can make a very good product from DME. The pro’s are you don’t need to deal with grinding grain, mashing (which includes milling, holding at temps, enzymes for conversion, sparging or squeezing fermented grains).
The Cons are it is expensive, it generally will not ferment completely out, you are limited on how creative you can be with your recipes. I would also recommend to do a boil like you would do with beer before fermentation to create a hot break, this will help prevent puking when you distill your finished fermentation.
As far as making a vodka from your DME wash I would first recommend to ferment at 10% ABV or lower.
I don’t know what you have for equipment but I can tell you I run mine through a four plate (bubble cap) to strip and then through a packed reflux still for spirit run. After stripping Dilute to a maximum of 40% ABV. I many times dilute much more than that and do two or three spirit runs as water is the best filter for your alcohol. And yes I make cuts on all runs.
A fore’s head cut on the stripper and shut down when tails start coming over, then for all spirit runs collecting in jars, wife and I tasting/ smelling diluted samples and always spitting out sample tasting so we don’t get drunk and skew our results.
Good luck and let us know how it works out
As a side note; if you are looking for a very clean, easy and inexpensive neutral/vodka you really can’t beat Shady’s Sugar Shine. It is in the tried and true recipe section and is truly fantastic.
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

I wouldn't use DME
Foams like crazy.
If you really want then do the beer method where you slowlyboil in an open pot to get it past that point.
But it is an expensive way.

Personally, i use 2.5kgs ground up jungle oats with enzyme treatments and 7.5 kgs sugar per 50 litres of water. A tbsp nutrient and a tbsp distillers yeast.
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Windy City wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:44 pm
Hell of a write up Windy. Thank you so much for this info. I’ve read some of the bits and pieces about your process it’s cool of you to put out a nice little tutorial here. I’m just starting in with my plater and ccvm rigs and gladly take any help I can get.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Do you want some flavor from the wheat in your vodka, or are you wanting a neutral?
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Fxaddicted wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:37 pm i don't want to use plain sugar at all so I'm thinking to go all grain but with Wheat Dry Malt Extract " 65% wheat malt and 35% barley"

do you think it's better if i do all grain mash my self or DME can do the job as good as that ? it seems DME will save a tons of time
Great question, Exaddicted! Looks like you're weighing the cost of forfeiting the benefits of all-grain because of the associated work/cost involved in mashing and fermenting while also avoiding whatever perceived negatives of a sugarshine that you harbor. In a nutshell, DME, with its inherent drawbacks will accomplish both of your requirements. Since using an extract is more of a shortcut versus committing to 'going all grain', reading through the HD threads on 'DME/LME whiskey' will give you a more informed perspective. Expect responses that consider using an extract as a waste of money because of reduced yields and since neutrals strip out all of the flavor, but you probably already knew that.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

straight up wheat is the cheapest way to a quality vodka.

i'd avoid dme for all the reasons listed...but it makes a great whiskey if you can put up with the foam, which is by all measure completely unmanageable. all that work should earn you a nice whisky, seems a shame to turn it into tasteless hootch.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Renhoekk
Swill Maker

Post by Renhoekk »

You can use any agricultural product as a base for vodka.

Vodka is basically a science project in distillation. You want to strip out much of the distinctive taste, flavour and aroma from the final product.

That said, why would you use a fermentable that is more expensive than other options.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

DME is going to add flavour to something you are wanting to have little flavour..... Stick to the wheat.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Make a wheat whiskey out of the DME and set it aside.
Make neutral spirits out of sugar and blend in a little bit of the DME whiskey to make vodka.

On a side note.
If you want to make vodka out of grain.
Get some high temp Alpha and Gluco enzymes.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

HDNB wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:56 pm
straight up wheat is the cheapest way to a quality vodka.

That depends on where you live. I went to my local feed store yesterday and 50 lb sacks were ...

whole corn - 9.99 USD
whole wheat - 13.95 USD

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

FWIW: rice (preferably short or medium grain; long only if you have no options for the previous 2) + YLAY is a cheap avenue to good/great vodka. The SWIMBO said it was "evil smooth" (likely because I made strict cuts).
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

I intend to try Jimbo's Wheat Flour AG using enzymes. At this time 25 lbs of wheat flour is $12.13. His main gripe was that he scorched approx half the time so I intend to use two 5500W elements, each on a controller set to 50% perhaps (or lower) when stripping and see if that keeps it from scorching. I recall people saying this mash won't clear so I may try testing clearing it using Bentonite Clay.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:41 am I intend to try Jimbo's Wheat Flour AG using enzymes. At this time 25 lbs of wheat flour is $12.13. His main gripe was that he scorched approx half the time so I intend to use two 5500W elements, each on a controller set to 50% perhaps (or lower) when stripping and see if that keeps it from scorching. I recall people saying this mash won't clear so I may try testing clearing it using Bentonite Clay.
Flour may be too fine for this trick: I use my hop spider & push it down into the all-grain "mush" then use my auto-siphon to grab the wash inside of it.
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Laredo7mm
Bootlegger

Post by Laredo7mm »

I wouldn’t use it for vodka for the stripping the flavor reason. I started brewing beer 5+ years ago and did all grain from the start. Now that I have gotten into distilling, I am using DME. My my all grain conversion efficiency of 75% to 80% and the cost of grain where I live, using DME is not much more expensive than going all grain, but it is so much faster. I am using DME and sugar to make my staple white dog liquor. I like it but I don’t have a refined palate, it might taste like crap to most people. Lol

I can get 15 gallons of mash put together and yeast pitched in 1.25 to 1.50 hours. My OG is a bit higher than what most people recommend. I aim for 1.088 OG and my FG is 0.995 or 0.996. I use DADY yeast and ferment at 86F. It takes about 3 to 3.5 days for it to finish.

I think it has tons of flavor, probably too much for most people, but like I said, I have no idea, I’m the only one who drinks it. It does like to foam up so watch your temps. When my boiler gets to about 180F I cut the power down to try to stop any foam from getting into the column. I think I read in here where someone does a 30 minute “boil” in the kettle on a low power setting while they wait for the column to equalize. They are basically doing a hot break boil as mentioned above. I am going to try that tomorrow or Thursday once I get my sieve plates built.

If making vodka, I would use less DME since you are going to be stripping out most of the flavor. The DME will give you flavor and some nutrients for the yeast. I also use fermax yeast nutrient in my mash. 1 tablespoon for 7.5 gallons.