Salts

Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Salts

Post by Oldvine Zin »

I've been reading about fleur del sel and making your own, not too difficult and you can add touches.
Made some using scotch bonnet infused water and so far pretty good :)
salt.jpg
stay safe
OVZ
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Re: Salts

Post by Twisted Brick »

Sounds delish, OVZ. Got a recipe or site to visit?
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I've been making my own for years using a Mylar covered solar dish to hurry up the last stage of drying. Large crystals, small crystals, flakey salt, whatever I feel like making at the time.

Coincidentally, a friend of mine who makes smoked salt had brought some to the pub today to give to anyone who wanted to try it. He also brought some Cailfornia Reapers for us to try. No takers :D
I brought one home for the seeds, but I wasn't game to take a bite of one at the pub :esurprised:
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

We were always told that too much salt was bad and hardened the Arteries .

Mrs Yummy was anti salt and never added it t anything .
Then one day at Karate , she had some strange heart thing and had ti go ti hospital .They did all kinds of tests and in the end it turns out she was low in salt . She starts using salt and heart issues gone .

So then she decides , if she’s going ti have salt , it should be the fancy Himalayan Pink salt instead of the white table salt . Far enough .
Until several years later , she’s back at the quacks because of several issues and turns out , she’s critically low in Iodine and now has to take Iodine drops to get her levels up .

So here we are , using good old Iodised table salt again .
Kinda makes you think .
They add iodine to our salt for a reason . At least here in Aussie and NewZealand .

So just bare that in mind if you are making your own salt .
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

That is why we don't only use our own salt.
quadra
Bootlegger

Post by quadra »

Twisted Brick wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:25 pm Sounds delish, OVZ. Got a recipe or site to visit?
BUMP!! ... with the same question. That sounds like something I would enjoy :thumbup:
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Look up Alex the French guy cooking on YouTube. He recently posted a video explaining good prices for making flaky salt in great detail.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Yummyrum wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:31 pm We were always told that too much salt was bad and hardened the Arteries .

Mrs Yummy was anti salt and never added it t anything .
Then one day at Karate , she had some strange heart thing and had ti go ti hospital .They did all kinds of tests and in the end it turns out she was low in salt . She starts using salt and heart issues gone .

So then she decides , if she’s going ti have salt , it should be the fancy Himalayan Pink salt instead of the white table salt . Far enough .
Until several years later , she’s back at the quacks because of several issues and turns out , she’s critically low in Iodine and now has to take Iodine drops to get her levels up .

So here we are , using good old Iodised table salt again .
Kinda makes you think .
They add iodine to our salt for a reason . At least here in Aussie and NewZealand .

So just bare that in mind if you are making your own salt .

Same here Yummy. I'm a saltaholic.
Put it on everything.
Went to see a witch doctor for some issues I had and she did a hair follicle test.( for metals and everything else).
Turns out my sodium was perfect.
We don't eat anything processed which is where most people get their overdose of sodium. She said you need salt in your diet so it's perfectly OK to use it.
It's the shit from the grocery store you gotta watch out for.

Who knew? :crazy:
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Soldiers in hot and humid climes were given salt tablets to replace salt lost in sweat.

Geoff
The Baker