Rookie Moonshiner

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

oldmonk
Novice

Rookie Moonshiner

Post by oldmonk »

I am a rookie moonshiner from South East Asia. I have done couple dozens of batches of Jaggery and Sugar Washes. Have referred to this site since last few years. Thought of joining the forum so that I can interact two ways. Contribute where I can and learn where I can.

I have a 20 liter copper alembic pot still, hand made by a local smith.

I guess it's time to learn and try new recipes and clear a few of my flavoring doubts.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Rookie Moonshiner

Post by greggn »

oldmonk wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:24 pm I am a rookie moonshiner from South East Asia.
Welcome to HD !

I'll be interested in hearing of some of the local ingredients you have available.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
oldmonk
Novice

Post by oldmonk »

greggn wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:51 pm
oldmonk wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:24 pm I am a rookie moonshiner from South East Asia.
Welcome to HD !

I'll be interested in hearing of some of the local ingredients you have available.
Base spirits are fun here, almost all types of grains are available dirt cheap, except a few like Rye. But most of the grains are not graded, cant differentiate between two row barley and four row barley from distillation perspective.

Sugars are available full spectrum, cane juice, concentrated unfiltered cane juice (Jaggery), brown cane sugar, and table sugar, again, affordable. Forest honey is easy to find too.

For botanicals, there are tons of health stores which stock a good 200-300 type of dried botanicals, I have been regular with a few, so they allow me to walk around sniffing jar containers for interesting finds. But some stuff regularly used here is rare to come by, like angelica roots, oris roots and stuff.

While its spice and sugar heaven, there are absolutely no distilling / brewing hobby stores. Only yeast available is bakes yeast, and most imported stuff is three four times the original price.

That's about it!

-
OldMonk
Old Dog New Tricks
Swill Maker

Post by Old Dog New Tricks »

Welcome Aboard, Sounds like a " nice " area for resources...
oldmonk
Novice

Post by oldmonk »

Old Dog New Tricks wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:57 pm Welcome Aboard, Sounds like a " nice " area for resources...
Nice area for resources but a big no no for distillation, if caught then its one way ticket to the slammer!
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Welcome from faraway. 🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.