interested

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

DWFII
Novice

interested

Post by DWFII »

Howy

I am 77 years old. I live in the High Desert of Central Oregon. In my younger years I made beer and ale and wine. Very successfully. I mostly drink single malt Scotch but recently tried some corn based moonshine.Not bad...not rocket fuel...and I could taste the corn. Got interested in home distilling from watching Moonshiners. lol Dumb reason maybe but it fascinated me.

I have not committed to anything...not spent any money or bought any equipment or books, etc.. Still doing due diligence...so much to learn. Registered so I could ask some basic (hopefully not dumb) questions.

Thanks.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Re: interested

Post by Uncle Jesse »

We start small or not at all.

Welcome aboard.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Welcome DWFII,

Good on ya for doing your research before you build or buy. Books are time-dated and can't come close to the inertia of current knowledge contained here on HD. If you're a whiskey drinker, a pot still is a great place to start. Any questions on options, feel free to ask.

If you haven't seen this yet, this might help:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66917
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Iv been here about a year. Learned a lot reading the archives. I love my pot for making whiskey rum and bourbon.
Welcome to the club 🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
DWFII
Novice

Post by DWFII »

Twisted Brick wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:56 am Welcome DWFII,

Good on ya for doing your research before you build or buy. Books are time-dated and can't come close to the inertia of current knowledge contained here on HD. If you're a whiskey drinker, a pot still is a great place to start. Any questions on options, feel free to ask.

If you haven't seen this yet, this might help:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66917
Thanks. Don't know if I can say this or not in this thread but what sparked my interest was the thought of single malt corn liquor about 100proof. For the whiskey, I am quite content with a bottle of Highland Park 12 or Knappogue Castle 12, every three months (don't drink much).

I'm guessing it might be pretty hard to duplicate the wood of a 12 year barrel-aged whiskey or the peat reek of a distillery that owns their own bog.
Tioraidh
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Welcome!
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

DWFII wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:09 pm
Thanks. Don't know if I can say this or not in this thread but what sparked my interest was the thought of single malt corn liquor about 100proof. For the whiskey, I am quite content with a bottle of Highland Park 12 or Knappogue Castle 12, every three months (don't drink much).

I'm guessing it might be pretty hard to duplicate the wood of a 12 year barrel-aged whiskey or the peat reek of a distillery that owns their own bog.
This is a Welcome thread, but take a look at the Flavoring and Aging section. Hobby volumes require much less aging time than 12 years to make an excellent whiskey.

(A Highland Park 12 doesn't last long in my house). :mrgreen:
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Welcome to HD, as already pointed out the info on the forum is current. Anything you could possibly think of related to home distilling is covered in here, AND a whole lot of things we wouldn't think of initially.
Cheers
DWFII
Novice

Post by DWFII »

Thank you all for the kind welcome. Still working my way through the mandatory stuff but I came here with a question or two percolating... for when I get through it.
Tioraidh