How much mash for a 5 gallon still

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

CornDaddy231
Novice

How much mash for a 5 gallon still

Post by CornDaddy231 »

I recently purchased a vevor 5 gallon still to start learning the process of distillation but I'm unsure exactly how much mash I should run through the still. Iv read that you should have about 20 percent headspace during the fermentation process to keep the lid from blowing off due to pressure. I also am not sure how full you should have your still when you start distilling. I bought a grain kit for 5 gallons of mash but im debating on only using 4 gallons of water to keep some head space. Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks yall
Corndaddy231
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: How much mash for a 5 gallon still

Post by 8Ball »

I have a 5G pot.
2.25 pounds grain per gallon.
20.25 pounds of grain, coarse ground.
9 gallon total mash volume.
Ferment on grain & squeeze out when done.
Reserve 1 gallon of fermented beer for the spirit.
Strip the 7 gallons you get after squeezing in two 3.5G strips each.
Collect 1 gallon low wines each strip.
Do a 3 gallon spirit with the low wines & reserve.
Take a 6 oz fores/heads cut.
Collect the rest as hearts until it starts to get funky.
Collect the rest as feints & add to your next spirit runs.
Good luck.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Dathhu
Bootlegger

Post by Dathhu »

Take a step back.

Your still is 5 gal.

You want to make something good out of it, you will need more than just 5G of mash.

Research strip, spirit runs.

5gal of mash might net you one half decent bottle if you're lucky with your cuts.

Think at least 15 gallons of mash, then maybe you can do some decent cuts on a spirit run. For every part you keep on a spirit run, you are looking at at least that, plus more, probably wayyyyy more, you don't want to drink.

Pressure should not be an issue, if you have pressure built up then you basically have a bomb, flammable liquid, under pressure. If you're still holds pressure then you are doing it wrong. Take another step back if this is your thinking with distillation. Unless you're building a fancy column, plates, bubblers, varying degrees of reflux, there should be next to no pressure at all, unless you're doing something VERY WRONG. Even if you have a somewhat fancier still, you don't want a lot of pressure.

It gets dangerous very quickly.

A cheap Amazon still might sound good price wise, but I have never seen one that has been worth the lost time and pain. If you have any concerns about pressure, shut it down.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Dathhu wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:50 am Take a step back.

Research strip, spirit runs.

It gets dangerous very quickly.
Keep reading. Regrettably, your post contains questions that should have already been resolved .

Your enthusiasm is commendable, but you are somewhat limited by your equipment which can be problematic to operate and some can rightfully say is borderline hazardous if not properly modified and operated with care. This hobby requires some serious homework. Don't let a lack of knowledge ruin your chances for success right off the bat.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer