Aaaaand I'm a moron...

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bcook608
Rumrunner

Aaaaand I'm a moron...

Post by bcook608 »

So this is DEFINITELY a "what not to do" moment.

Please refrain from any harassment or negative comments, I already know how lucky I just got.

This is a public service announcement. Don't let your excitement get the best of you. I got caught up in the excitement with my new equipment for upgrading my controller to 240v. I plugged in the cord and measured out the length I needed to run into my bedroom so I could cut it to the right length. You can probably guess what happened...

Boom!
20221204_121255.jpg

Yupp, like I said, I'm a fucking moron...

20221204_121855.jpg

I'm done building for a bit...
And I need a drink... A big one...
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Re: Aaaaand I'm a moron...

Post by Uncle Jesse »

I'm glad you're ok.

Enjoy the adrenaline rush.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Uncle Jesse wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:26 pm I'm glad you're ok.

Thanks. Got a nice little lightning burn on my thigh to remember it by...
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

bcook608 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:27 pm

You are very lucky that's all you got.
We all do stupid things from time to time. Like pick up a slab of dry ice with your bare fingers. Yeah, I just did that. Fortunately, I realized how stupid that was and very quickly set it back down.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

WOW! that was a close call. :shock:
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

That's called an arc flash explosion in the trade. I've lost a couple of screwdrivers in similar fashion.

We're your ears ringing? Some people need to put in ear plugs when doing electrical work! All depends on the size of the breaker. I used to work with stuff fed from a 2000 kva transformer. Here's the garb we wore for working inside the main panel:
16701943879171.jpg
And yes I'm wearing earplugs inside there.

Luckily residential feeds are small enough it's fairly hard to kill yourself at home even though it's possible and you can definitely need to change your skivvies if you aren't careful.

I bet you make sure the breaker is off from now on.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:49 pm
bcook608 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:27 pm

You are very lucky that's all you got.
We all do stupid things from time to time. Like pick up a slab of dry ice with your bare fingers. Yeah, I just did that. Fortunately, I realized how stupid that was and very quickly set it back down.
Yeah, I set the cord down pretty quickly too. Unfortunately it didn't make a damn bit of difference 🤷‍♂️
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

elbono wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:00 pm That's called an arc flash explosion in the trade. I've lost a couple of screwdrivers in similar fashion.

We're your ears ringing? Some people need to put in ear plugs when doing electrical work! All depends on the size of the breaker. I used to work with stuff fed from a 2000 kva transformer. Here's the garb we wore for working inside the main panel:

16701943879171.jpg

And yes I'm wearing earplugs inside there.

Luckily residential feeds are small enough it's fairly hard to kill yourself at home even though it's possible and you can definitely need to change your skivvies if you aren't careful.

I bet you make sure the breaker is off from now on.
LOL if I'm doing anything like this again it'll be in the garage on the opposite wall from ANY outlets.. Just to be safe... 😅
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

bcook608 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:25 pm
Please refrain from any harassment or negative comments, I already know how lucky I just got.
Well now that just takes all the fun out of it!
Close call. Glad you’re ok
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Wow. Close call. That's definitely a good way to ruin a pair of snips.
Been there, done that. Just not with that many volts.
Better make it a double.
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

I always say, anything like that you walk way from with all your human parts working can be chalked up to a learning experience.

Very glad you are ok and all your parts still work. Looks like you were cutting across your knee…. Bet you’re glad it wasn’t your lap! :wtf:
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

heh heh. i often use a new pair of line pliers to "test" a breaker. always leaves a nice little burned hole in the cutting blade that is perfect for stripping wire.
Never done it on a 240 line though. i'll bet that was bright! (the resulting light, not the action itself) LOL

glad you survived, shorting them is one thing.... coulda been really nasty/deadly if you got hooked into a line direct with a ground on the other end of your body.

gotta know though. did the breaker work?
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

HDNB wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:09 pm heh heh. i often use a new pair of line pliers to "test" a breaker. always leaves a nice little burned hole in the cutting blade that is perfect for stripping wire.
Never done it on a 240 line though. i'll bet that was bright! (the resulting light, not the action itself) LOL

glad you survived, shorting them is one thing.... coulda been really nasty/deadly if you got hooked into a line direct with a ground on the other end of your body.

gotta know though. did the breaker work?
It sure did! Lit up like a firework and sounded like a gun went off!

Breaker tripped immediately, thank the electrical gods.
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Dougmatt wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:57 pm I always say, anything like that you walk way from with all your human parts working can be chalked up to a learning experience.

Very glad you are ok and all your parts still work. Looks like you were cutting across your knee…. Bet you’re glad it wasn’t your lap! :wtf:
It arced about 6-8" to my thigh. I was using both hands cutting ABOVE my lap. Just glad it landed on the 2nd leg instead of the third 😱😅
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

bcook608 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:27 pm Thanks. Got a nice little lightning burn on my thigh to remember it by...
image.png
image.png (109.46 KiB) Viewed 2239 times
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

bcook608 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:25 pm So this is DEFINITELY a "what not to do" moment.

Yupp, like I said, I'm a fucking moron...
You might have been before the "earth shattering kabooom"
But now you've been educated. :ewink:
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

I have 440v 3ph. in my shop and have made modifications to the existing circuits.

Mistakes are just out of the question.
be water my friend
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Turn off the power and lock it out.
IAmPistolPete
Novice

Post by IAmPistolPete »

I've been knocked off a ladder more than a few times retrofitting live 277V fixtures. Takes a good 1/2hr to get your legs back. I blame that for my bald spots, not my age. :lol:
If you ever find yourself being chased by a pack of wild taxidermists, do not play dead.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

IAmPistolPete wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:00 pm
I've been knocked off a ladder more than a few times retrofitting live 277V fixtures.
They have changed the NEC rules.
Part XII Special Provisions for Electric-Discharge Lighting System of 1000 Volts or Less includes 410.130(G) Disconnecting Means.
Now each light has a small connector you can unplug. :thumbup:
Attachments
15b_RHunterPH6.jpg
15b_RHunterPH6.jpg (14.99 KiB) Viewed 2210 times
IAmPistolPete
Novice

Post by IAmPistolPete »

They were all government & public school buildings, so codes did not apply :lolno:
If you ever find yourself being chased by a pack of wild taxidermists, do not play dead.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

A mate of mine made himself a new 240V extension lead and put male plugs on both ends, he discovered his mistake when he grabbed the plug :D
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

shadylane wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:59 pm Turn off the power and lock it out.
I pull the meter.
be water my friend
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

NZChris wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:27 pm A mate of mine made himself a new 240V extension lead and put male plugs on both ends, he discovered his mistake when he grabbed the plug :D
If I had a friend that did things like that I wouldn't tell anybody. :lol:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

We have even funnier stories that we could tell you about each other. :D
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

NZChris wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:27 pm A mate of mine made himself a new 240V extension lead and put male plugs on both ends, he discovered his mistake when he grabbed the plug :D
The house electrician at the university venue I used to work at, told us the story of a touring lighting tech who had a set of "tails" made up. At one end was a 63A 3-phase CEEForm connector. At the other, a set of 13A (UK) plugs, all wired in parallel. In venues without a genuine 63A 3-phase supply, he would simply run each of the plugs into a different wall socket in order to spread the load from his lighting rig. He also had the matching female version (a board with three lines of 13A sockets connected to a male 63A 3-phase CEEForm, into which he plugged the "tails" when the house supply was available!). The in-house sparky, listened politely to the proud explanation and without saying word, took out a pair of wire cutters and cut off all the 13A plugs. :wink:

To the OP: Lesson learnt then? The problem with electricity is there's no warning until it's too late. If something is hot you can feel the heat before you touch it. On my one or two occasions of being shocked, I found a good run while swearing lots helped to run off the adrenaline.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

NormandieStill wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:11 am
The house electrician at the university venue I used to work at, told us the story of a touring lighting tech who had a set of "tails" made up. At one end was a 63A 3-phase CEEForm connector. At the other, a set of 13A (UK) plugs, all wired in parallel. In venues without a genuine 63A 3-phase supply, he would simply run each of the plugs into a different wall socket in order to spread the load from his lighting rig. He also had the matching female version (a board with three lines of 13A sockets connected to a male 63A 3-phase CEEForm, into which he plugged the "tails" when the house supply was available!). The in-house sparky, listened politely to the proud explanation and without saying word, took out a pair of wire cutters and cut off all the 13A plugs. :wink:

To the OP: Lesson learnt then? The problem with electricity is there's no warning until it's too late. If something is hot you can feel the heat before you touch it. On my one or two occasions of being shocked, I found a good run while swearing lots helped to run off the adrenaline.
Lesson DEFINITELY learned! I didn't go for a run because I'm fat and lazy, but I paced the house for a good 30 minutes just repeating "what the fuck! That was sooo stupid! Holy shit!" all while listening to my wife ask if I needed the short bus for the special kids because that was fucking retarded.

*no offense intended, we reserve the R word for when we REALLY need to drive home a point and I definitely deserved that one
SDEngr1
Novice

Post by SDEngr1 »

Welcome to the group! We are a majority now!!!
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

Dude! You’re so lucky. That’s some serious power you just harnessed! We’ve all been there in some way. Brain farts happen.

I’ve definitely gotten a little thrill from working with 110V, being cocky and not turning off the breaker. I installed new power outlets in my basement and the previous owners did not install them up to code. There was not enough slack in the wire and I arced it with a screwdriver while fussing with the old outlet. Gave me some nice flash burn in my eye. Lesson learned.
Dee Envy
Novice

Post by Dee Envy »

Been there, done that as well.
I saved the "unintentionally modified" side cutters as a reminder.
Glad You are OK.