Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Knife_man
Site Donor
Site Donor

Eureka! (soldering stainless)

Post by Knife_man »

Not sure if this is the right place.

So I've been having a mare getting anything to stick to stainless.

I'm from the UK and can't find any acid based flux in reasonable amounts. I've tried every plumbing flux I can get my hands on and unsurprisingly they didn't work.

I then ordered a liquid flux for stainless from China which also didn't work , can't tell you what it is as it all in Chinese but it was the cheapest on ebay.

I then ordered at quite a price some stay-clean which people swear by imported from the USA. Which I'm still waiting for.

I then read a post which I will probably never find again suggesting that using stainless flux AND copper flux at the same time works and IT WORKED. I think what's happening is that the stainless flux cleans the surface but boils off before it's hot enough , then the copper flux takes over and keeps the surface clean long enough for soldering but that's just a guess.

So if anyone from the UK is in the same predicament as me try using different types of flux at the same time it just might work.
Saltpork
Novice

Re: Eureka! (soldering stainless)

Post by Saltpork »

What are you soldering stainless to? Stainless to stainless, stainless to copper?
It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance -- Thomas Sowell
Rest in peace R.L.K. & R.H.L., my biggest influences and men I miss dearly
Knife_man
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Knife_man »

Saltpork wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:55 am What are you soldering stainless to? Stainless to stainless, stainless to copper?
Stainless ferrule to copper.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Stay clean contains a small amount of hydrochloric acid along with zinc and ammonium chloride.
One could try making up your own solution.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

A big challenge with soldering stainless to copper is getting the temp of both pieces right at the same time. It’s easy to get one piece too hot or not hot enough when the other piece hits the right temp.

You have to be more patient with stainless because it takes longer to heat up and more work (torch movement) to get it to heat evenly. I found success by heating the stainless first, very slowly bringing it up to temp and taking lots of pauses so the heat spreads more evenly. When the stainless is getting close to temp, expand your torch use to include heating the copper. It takes some practice to figure out how to do this, the mass of each piece being one factor to manage.

When you get the heat right, all the rest is much much easier.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Agree with Otis, I had to learn things like this with practice....if you heat too much non-stick oxides form on the surface, if too little it doesn't melt. A good enough flux is obtained by dissolving pure zinc in hydrochloric acid.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

i found great success in heating the copper part mainly and barely heating the stainless part, very few issues soldering stainless and copper this way using liquid flux and stay brite silver bearing solder
ThomasBrewer
Swill Maker

Post by ThomasBrewer »

I had the best success by individually wetting out each piece with a layer of flux/solder on the mating surfaces, then heating them both to join the solder pads.
Knife_man
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Knife_man »

The problem I was getting was that I couldn't get hold of suitable flux in the UK.

Tested availible fluxes by abrading a scrap price of stainless and applying flux ,placing a small price of solder in the middle of the flux and then heating slowly from underneath. That way as soon as I hit the correct temp the solder will melt and in theory wet out the surface.

The plumbing solder just sat there but held the molten solder in place until it had turned to a black goop. The stainless flux(chinese) would vigorously boil and then by the time the solder melted it would bead up and roll off the surface.

I just wanted to share my finding for any other UK residents who were having difficulty getting hold of good flux suitable for stainless.