Old dogs can learn new tricks!

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Pure Old Possum Piss
Novice

Old dogs can learn new tricks!

Post by Pure Old Possum Piss »

Just stopping in to say hi to everybody. Been in the hobby since the '70s when I was introduced to it working for my grandpa. He had me hauling bricks, digging clay, making ovens, chopping wood, tending the fire, etc. He had an old 100 gal sub pot with a slobber box, thumper, and instead of a flake stand he had his worm in the creek in the backyard. He used to make a lot of likker! Anyhow, I mostly used a pot/thump till about 10 years ago until I discovered this "Library of Alexanderia" on distilling. I've made several LM,VM,CM from info here and even came up with a few combo/hybrid types of my own. Prior to finding HD, I thought I knew a lot, but it opened my eyes to the fact that even Old Dogs can learn new tricks if they want to. Seems like I learn something new or gain a better depth of knowledge of some subjects every time I visit.
Sorry if this has been a little long winded for an intro. I'll just wanted to say Hello. :thumbup:
Bushman
Admin

Re: Old dogs can learn new tricks!

Post by Bushman »

Welcome, and interesting history. As a hobby we have put limits on the size of still we discuss on the forum at 30 gallons. We do have a commercial section for those that are licensed. In the 15 years I have been involved the evolution at both the craft and hobby level has been amazing. Looking forward to your input.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

welcome, awesome story! I'll probably be learning a thing or two from you!
Pure Old Possum Piss
Novice

Bushman wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:43 am Welcome, and interesting history. As a hobby we have put limits on the size of still we discuss on the forum at 30 gallons. We do have a commercial section for those that are licensed. In the 15 years I have been involved the evolution at both the craft and hobby level has been amazing. Looking forward to your input.
I ain't got nothing that big, but I just upgraded from a keg to a 26 with fill and drain port. It'll be nice to not have to let it cool to empty and refill. With my age and health I doubt I'd even attempt anything of commercial size. I did step up from a 2" to a 4" to speed things up so I could keep a better eye on my wife, her health ain't so good either. Thanks for the welcome!
If it's got hide or hair, I used to ride it.
Wheels or tracks, I can drive it.
Rotor or fixed wings, I can fly it.
And if it's grain, I'll make a drop outta it!
Pure Old Possum Piss
Novice

Nice to meet you too, Squiggle. I'm always willing to learn as well as help if I can. Have a good one!
Old Dog New Tricks
Swill Maker

Post by Old Dog New Tricks »

Welcome, Looking Forwards to some of your stories and Builds along my Journey,
P.S.
Great Intro...
Pure Old Possum Piss
Novice

Nice to meet you!
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Welcome 🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.