Vevor worth buying?

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Prophet216
Novice

Vevor worth buying?

Post by Prophet216 »

I am interested in making the Vevor 8 gal 3 pot set my entry point. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B082GNHW ... 9ERE&psc=1 . After much looking I can't find some basic information still tho.

Are these pots different in overall size? Are they the same thickness? Which is better?
Screenshot_20221208-201858_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221208-201748_Chrome.jpg
Also how many feet roughly of copper and at what size is used in the condensor?

I intend to modify, and change things as I go. Was just wondering if this is an OK place to start? Should I upgrade the worm before even trying anything?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Vevor worth buying?

Post by Deplorable »

No. It's not.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

They are all crap. That said there are folks here that have rebuilt them to usable, but could have done better.
Prophet216
Novice

Post by Prophet216 »

Could you elaborate? Or point me to a different corner
Prophet216
Novice

Post by Prophet216 »

acfixer69 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:39 pm They are all crap. That said there are folks here that have rebuilt them to usable, but could have done better.
This is a true first time thing for me. I figure a worm upgrade, cut a hole in the top some day and make a cap. Change out hoses for copper. I really wanted to try to get the equipment for under 150 for my first attempt.
Prophet216
Novice

Post by Prophet216 »

Anyone have one that can attest to amount of copper in condensor? If the condensor even works stock...
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Crap is elaborate enough. Could you tell us what you plan to make. What your limitations are i.e. fermentation space, ambient temperatures Do a little looking around there is plenty of good information easy to find.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

They are cheap garbage produced by people who don't understand distilling in the least..........marketed to beginners who know no better.
Waste of time and money.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:12 pm They are cheap garbage produced by people who don't understand distilling in the least..........marketed to beginners who know no better.
Waste of time and money.
How many times do we need to repeat this Salty. Maybe another for the rules.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Prophet216 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:43 pm
I really wanted to try to get the equipment for under 150 for my first attempt.

Sorry, but all of the answers above are honest and accurate. Consider yourself informed that the Vevor is a toy.

With a little work one can do better. You will find that your budgeted $200 investment in the Vevor ($50 to mod) could get you a used keg, some stainless spools, and parts for a DIY copper liebig (plans available here for free) that would put you miles ahead of this Chinese POS. It may take you a few more dollars where you live, but if $200 is your absolute limit, then this hobby is not for you. Kudos to you because at least you asked.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Prophet216 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:40 pm Could you elaborate? Or point me to a different corner
viewforum.php?f=50
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

acfixer69 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:39 pm They are all crap. That said there are folks here that have rebuilt them to usable, but could have done better.
I’m one of those folks. While I’m reasonably proud of what I’ve built, about all I have left of the original is the 8 gallon pot and lid. Both of which I’ve modified. It’s A LOT of work to make it into something worth messing with.

With that said, I don’t regret having bought it. It got me started, and gave me a baseline functional (barely.. crap is a fair assessment) still from which I could incrementally improve. If you need the mental crutch instead of tackling something from scratch (no judgment here, I know I needed it), then it’s not the worst thing you could do. But it’s also far from the best thing you could do. Building your own out of a keg, milk can, or large stainless stock pot is probably much easier, cheaper, and better in the long run.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Prophet,

I made a stock pot potstill with a 16 quart stainless steel stock pot. I made a short copper riser and attached it to the stock pot lid with a threaded adapter. Then, with a couple of elbows I connected it to the shotgun product condenser (also copper). And to heat this potstill, I modified a heavy duty hotplate by removing the temperature controls and replacing it with a heat input controller.

All in, parts and materials was only $350 USD. So, it is possible to build a low budget, yet highly functional still. Look to my signature to see the build threads.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

i got an 18gal "vevor" still for about $200 bucks on ebay. ( got it discounted) It is one of the "football" column style. It does work OK as it comes IMO.

I would recommend this style over those "three pot" ones for sure.

The pot itself is reasonably well made, seems to be 304 stainless and has been holding up for me for a while now. (2-3 yrs)

the triclamp flange is a weird size (2.5") but I have found it to work for me.

I have ditched the football and condenser it came with and use a 3ft copper riser/column and regular liebig condenser.

The condenser that came with it works well but it utilizes the CSST stainless steel tube as a final pathway for the condensate to travel in and I feel like it smeared badly.

I got rid of all the brass valves and plugged the holes with stainless steel plugs (They were rusting)

mine is a flat pot lid, they now come with a nicer angled top (imo) that looks like it might be stronger and function better.

It's not the greatest by any means but it's what I got and its been working for me. I am not sure you can can just an 18 gallon stainless steel pot for any cheaper than the whole kit cost.
Attachments
still.jpg