ADA still
Moderator: Site Moderator
-
juana_b
- Rumrunner
- Posts: 595
- Joined: Sat May 01, 2021 11:55 am
- Location: Hawaii
ADA still
I'm going to be building a rig for a friend. It will be used by someone who is blind. I have a pretty good idea of what it'll be and it won't have a thermometer port. But, I'm looking for any ideas on how to go about getting braille on copper. I think that would be a nice touch.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
― Charles Ives
- Steve Broady
- Distiller
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:52 am
- Location: NC Piedmont
Re: ADA still
I would probably make a separate plate with braille embossed in from the back, then solder or rivet that to whatever you want it on. Or 3D print a braille label and glue it on, so that it won’t be so hot.
Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough. - Mark Twain
- elbono
- Rumrunner
- Posts: 615
- Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:05 pm
- Location: Middle Tennessee, USA
Re: ADA still
My first thought was OMG!!
But, my grandfather and uncle were blind and it was amazing what they could do. They had all kinds of methods accomplish what I did by sight. Their memory was incredible.
Ask them what they want, my uncle was very easy to insult by accommodating him in ways he didn't need.
I would focus on safety issues they can't detect without vision.
One of my favorite memories is my uncle mowing the lawn, knew how many steps to the lot line, turn around and know he got to the drive when the mower started throwing gravel. My grandfather would sit on the stoop in case he got lost.
But, my grandfather and uncle were blind and it was amazing what they could do. They had all kinds of methods accomplish what I did by sight. Their memory was incredible.
Ask them what they want, my uncle was very easy to insult by accommodating him in ways he didn't need.
I would focus on safety issues they can't detect without vision.
One of my favorite memories is my uncle mowing the lawn, knew how many steps to the lot line, turn around and know he got to the drive when the mower started throwing gravel. My grandfather would sit on the stoop in case he got lost.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
- Bushman
- Admin
- Posts: 18599
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:29 am
- Location: Pacific Northwest
Re: ADA still
My first thoughts please keep us informed on this process as personally I don’t know how it can be done.I would focus on safety issues they can't detect without vision.
- NZChris
- Master of Distillation
- Posts: 14347
- Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:42 am
- Location: New Zealand
Re: ADA still
Punch it into the copper sheet before you start forming it.
-
The Baker
- Master of Distillation
- Posts: 4670
- Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:48 am
- Location: Northern Victoria, Australia
Re: ADA still
I don't know about safety for blind distillers.
But nowadays I am sure there a lot of pieces of equipment that will talk to you; give audible information...
Or that can be checked by touch, like say how full something is...
Geoff
But nowadays I am sure there a lot of pieces of equipment that will talk to you; give audible information...
Or that can be checked by touch, like say how full something is...
Geoff
The Baker
-
Dougmatt
- Rumrunner
- Posts: 749
- Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:14 pm
- Location: Wherever Delta Flies
Re: ADA still
Wow. I am so impressed that you are doing this. I wish I had a lot to add, but the only things that come to mind are
a) keep it simple - no reason for a lot of complexity, my still is 2 pieces with a gasket so I would try to minimize the number of sections that would require breakdown
B) temperature - since temp is used in fermentation and mashing, why not get a talking thermometer (ex: https://www.aph.org/product/talking-coo ... ermometer/ ) and a way to insert it in the still. I know everyone thinks temp is a “bad” thing, but in this case it would represent an audible queue for things like how far from the point of distillate production.
On getting the braille on copper, I like the soldered on plates idea. Stamping could work, but might create a weak spot.
If you are looking for “lots” of labels, there are high temp label materials available from several manufacturers (Brady is an example). Not sure if they have a size to fit your label maker.
Another thought is to audio label things. Wondering if the “talking tin” could be purposed for what you are thinking ( http://www.braillebookstore.com/Talking-Tin.1) . Just a thought.
a) keep it simple - no reason for a lot of complexity, my still is 2 pieces with a gasket so I would try to minimize the number of sections that would require breakdown
B) temperature - since temp is used in fermentation and mashing, why not get a talking thermometer (ex: https://www.aph.org/product/talking-coo ... ermometer/ ) and a way to insert it in the still. I know everyone thinks temp is a “bad” thing, but in this case it would represent an audible queue for things like how far from the point of distillate production.
On getting the braille on copper, I like the soldered on plates idea. Stamping could work, but might create a weak spot.
If you are looking for “lots” of labels, there are high temp label materials available from several manufacturers (Brady is an example). Not sure if they have a size to fit your label maker.
Another thought is to audio label things. Wondering if the “talking tin” could be purposed for what you are thinking ( http://www.braillebookstore.com/Talking-Tin.1) . Just a thought.
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.
That’s it. No more reading!
That’s it. No more reading!
- Salt Must Flow
- Master of Distillation
- Posts: 3125
- Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:06 pm
- Location: Wuhan China (Novel Coronavirus Laboratory)
Re: ADA still
Curious ... what would braille be useful for? I can't think of any use for it on parts. If I touched any part of my still while wearing a blindfold I'd be able to determine what it is immediately. Now if it were part of a controller that would make sense. Perhaps a 0%, 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% power indicator maybe.
If you have any files that need 3D printed, I can print it for you. My only concern would be heat on risers/columns as that wouldn't be practical. Let me know if you need any thing printed.
Like elbono said, safety first. I'd do some runs with him first and find out what safety features need solidified. He may need temp alarms, but even something that simple may not be that simple for someone who is blind with digital devices though I'm IGNORANT regarding devices that may or not be manufactured for the blind.
What is your friend interested in making? I'm thinking from start to finish and like Bushman said, I don't know how this can be done. At least not with some help. It's a hell of an endeavor.
If you have any files that need 3D printed, I can print it for you. My only concern would be heat on risers/columns as that wouldn't be practical. Let me know if you need any thing printed.
Like elbono said, safety first. I'd do some runs with him first and find out what safety features need solidified. He may need temp alarms, but even something that simple may not be that simple for someone who is blind with digital devices though I'm IGNORANT regarding devices that may or not be manufactured for the blind.
What is your friend interested in making? I'm thinking from start to finish and like Bushman said, I don't know how this can be done. At least not with some help. It's a hell of an endeavor.
-
zach
- Posts: 713
- Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:42 am
Re: ADA still
I use a digital meat thermometer with an audio alarm and place the sensor just below my condenser on a LM rig.
I set the alarm set point for 140 F, so I make sure I am paying attention as things warm up.
If I had no vision, I'd also want an alarm on the condenser outlet cooling water to give me another alarm. A cooling water flow switch to enable the heater might be another safety that is worth it in this case.
I set the alarm set point for 140 F, so I make sure I am paying attention as things warm up.
If I had no vision, I'd also want an alarm on the condenser outlet cooling water to give me another alarm. A cooling water flow switch to enable the heater might be another safety that is worth it in this case.
-
StillerBoy
- Master of Distillation
- Posts: 3387
- Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:27 pm
- Location: Ontario
Re: ADA still
It would help if you could clarify what is meant by the statement above..
Everyone is shooting in the dark or making assumptions without what type/style of still is considered to built.. a pot still style is probably possible (depending on the person's abilities), but a reflux column, that has many more items that need attention..
Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "
– Albert Einstein
– Albert Einstein
-
juana_b
- Rumrunner
- Posts: 595
- Joined: Sat May 01, 2021 11:55 am
- Location: Hawaii
Re: ADA still
This will be a pot still to replace the Vevor they currently use on propane.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
― Charles Ives
- NZChris
- Master of Distillation
- Posts: 14347
- Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:42 am
- Location: New Zealand
Re: ADA still
I assumed from your OP that you were wanting to put a name on the still. Are you asking for more than that, like how to build one and run it?
-
The Baker
- Master of Distillation
- Posts: 4670
- Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:48 am
- Location: Northern Victoria, Australia
-
juana_b
- Rumrunner
- Posts: 595
- Joined: Sat May 01, 2021 11:55 am
- Location: Hawaii
Re: ADA still
Nope, just looking for ideas on putting braille on copper.
Frankly I was thinking of hiding messages to break balls.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
― Charles Ives
-
juana_b
- Rumrunner
- Posts: 595
- Joined: Sat May 01, 2021 11:55 am
- Location: Hawaii
-
juana_b
- Rumrunner
- Posts: 595
- Joined: Sat May 01, 2021 11:55 am
- Location: Hawaii
Re: ADA still
I did get a good chuckle out of them when I called it the ADA still. Americans with Disabilities Act for those not in the U.S.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
― Charles Ives
- NZChris
- Master of Distillation
- Posts: 14347
- Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:42 am
- Location: New Zealand
Re: ADA still
I searched for braille letter punches, but came up empty handed. I suspect that you just have to do your homework and get it right the first time, punching from the inside, backwards, without any embarrassing mistakes.
-
juana_b
- Rumrunner
- Posts: 595
- Joined: Sat May 01, 2021 11:55 am
- Location: Hawaii
Re: ADA still
My search came up empty too, but I'll keep looking and thinking.
I like Steve's idea of a separate plate. I also thought about trying to make bumps freehand with 15% silphos.
After all, it doesn't need to look pretty.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
― Charles Ives
-
juana_b
- Rumrunner
- Posts: 595
- Joined: Sat May 01, 2021 11:55 am
- Location: Hawaii
Re: ADA still
This has some promising links
https://www.engraversjournal.com/articl ... -ada-signs
https://www.engraversjournal.com/articl ... -ada-signs
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
― Charles Ives
- elbono
- Rumrunner
- Posts: 615
- Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:05 pm
- Location: Middle Tennessee, USA
Re: ADA still
My uncle used a slate and awl to write braille on paper. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slate_and_stylus
His was like the one at the top of the pic on that wikipage, always in his pocket with a 3x5 index card to make notes
The awl probably wouldn't work for copper but a modified punch and small hammer would work with the slate on thin copper sheet that you can solder to pieces.
You have to work right to left and make the characters backwards.
A neighbor that teaches at the regional school for the deaf and blind tells me it's all done on computers and machines now but I doubt you want to invest in that.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braille_embosser
His was like the one at the top of the pic on that wikipage, always in his pocket with a 3x5 index card to make notes
The awl probably wouldn't work for copper but a modified punch and small hammer would work with the slate on thin copper sheet that you can solder to pieces.
You have to work right to left and make the characters backwards.
A neighbor that teaches at the regional school for the deaf and blind tells me it's all done on computers and machines now but I doubt you want to invest in that.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braille_embosser
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
- bunny
- Swill Maker
- Posts: 412
- Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:28 am
Re: ADA still
juana_b wrote: ↑Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:36 pm This has some promising links
https://www.engraversjournal.com/articl ... -ada-signs
Contact Otis Elevator in Honolulu.
They may have some used panel numbers or be able to point you in the right direction.
-
juana_b
- Rumrunner
- Posts: 595
- Joined: Sat May 01, 2021 11:55 am
- Location: Hawaii
Re: ADA still
I did find a raster braille drill bit and brass balls that could be soldered too.
"Do not touch" is the first phrase that came to mind.
"Do not touch" is the first phrase that came to mind.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
― Charles Ives
- elbono
- Rumrunner
- Posts: 615
- Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:05 pm
- Location: Middle Tennessee, USA
Re: ADA still
Put "I told you so" next to the "do not touch"
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
- EricTheRed
- Distiller
- Posts: 1206
- Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:49 pm
- Location: South Africa
Re: ADA still
What about 3D printing?
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Life has gotten interesting!
- Ben
- Distiller
- Posts: 1292
- Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:13 am
- Location: Colorado
Re: ADA still
I would bet other than the control panel there wouldn't be much need for braille, even then the control panel could be one knob. Once the operator gets used to the orientation of the still, the sound the boiler makes and the location of the various condensers they will be able to operate it all by feel/sound. A few audible alarms could be useful, Auber ez-boils have them built in, and the knob is tactile.
Insulation on the boiler would be nice, in case it gets bumped into or leaned on by accident.
Fix the valve locations, make sure they are near the appropriate condenser and that there are no leaks, that way the operator only has to be in proximity of the still.
There could be some nice wizardry with float switches to enable an alarm for receptacle overflow.
Quality quick connects for the water lines to ensure there won't be leaks would be a nice touch.
Make sure the water lines aren't a trip hazard.
An easy to use/navigate system for cut jars, braille tabs with numbers for each jar.
Easy to use storage for empty jars/lids.
Easy way to meter water and white to cut for tasting/nosing/blending.
Insulation on the boiler would be nice, in case it gets bumped into or leaned on by accident.
Fix the valve locations, make sure they are near the appropriate condenser and that there are no leaks, that way the operator only has to be in proximity of the still.
There could be some nice wizardry with float switches to enable an alarm for receptacle overflow.
Quality quick connects for the water lines to ensure there won't be leaks would be a nice touch.
Make sure the water lines aren't a trip hazard.
An easy to use/navigate system for cut jars, braille tabs with numbers for each jar.
Easy to use storage for empty jars/lids.
Easy way to meter water and white to cut for tasting/nosing/blending.
:)
-
juana_b
- Rumrunner
- Posts: 595
- Joined: Sat May 01, 2021 11:55 am
- Location: Hawaii
Re: ADA still
There may be a place for 3d printing(and thank you salt for the offer), but with the preliminary discussions we've had about this rig, it's not going to be complicated in any way other than adjustments to the layout. Like elbono's uncle mowing the lawn. When someone gets used to a uh topography(?) it's easy to mess that up with a layout that's a couple of inches off. How many times have you stubbed a toe on a chair that was out from the counter a bit?
And we can f'n see.
As of now, the goals are to keep it simple and flexible. You can definitely handle tri clamps if you can already assemble and disassemble a vevor blind.
I'll give a quick mention that I'm more nervous around some sighted folks than my friend when shooting.
If you've never spent time with blind folk, you'll have some of your preconceived notions blown away damn quickly.
Edit: And like elbono's family, there are some things that are impossible without sight, and these may hurt one's pride if even the offer to help is extended. For example, I made a visit a while ago and brought an alcometer to check proofs on cuts from many batches. I offered, there was hesitation, approval given, and every one was within 5% of what my friend estimated.
And we can f'n see.
As of now, the goals are to keep it simple and flexible. You can definitely handle tri clamps if you can already assemble and disassemble a vevor blind.
I'll give a quick mention that I'm more nervous around some sighted folks than my friend when shooting.
If you've never spent time with blind folk, you'll have some of your preconceived notions blown away damn quickly.
Edit: And like elbono's family, there are some things that are impossible without sight, and these may hurt one's pride if even the offer to help is extended. For example, I made a visit a while ago and brought an alcometer to check proofs on cuts from many batches. I offered, there was hesitation, approval given, and every one was within 5% of what my friend estimated.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
― Charles Ives
- Stonecutter
- Distiller
- Posts: 2146
- Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:40 pm
- Location: Somewhere within the Milkyway
Re: ADA still
Kudos to you and your friend Juana
It’ll be awesome to see the results.
It’ll be awesome to see the results.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
-Thomas Paine
- NZChris
- Master of Distillation
- Posts: 14347
- Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:42 am
- Location: New Zealand
Re: ADA still
Ha ha
They won't be worried about louche and misting in their gins and whiskeys like a lot of the sighted folks that come here looking for help to fix what is actually a good thing flavor-wise.
-
juana_b
- Rumrunner
- Posts: 595
- Joined: Sat May 01, 2021 11:55 am
- Location: Hawaii
Re: ADA still
Gave 'em some used oak from my last bourbons to put some on.
Now you have me thinking about how I'd blend cuts blindfolded.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
― Charles Ives
- Stonecutter
- Distiller
- Posts: 2146
- Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:40 pm
- Location: Somewhere within the Milkyway
Re: ADA still
No pun intended
But very good point NZC
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
-Thomas Paine