The Unknown List

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tōtōchtin

The Unknown List

Post by Tōtōchtin »

I would like to know what came up making some spirits that you didn't plan on. I would like to put together a bag of tricks to get me out of a jam. I'm far from a store so I need to plan ahead.Problem is I haven't been down that trail yet. I'll have extra clamps,copper fittings,heating element, thermo probes,ssr relay and condenser. Nutrients NPK,aminos, and phosphoric acid,calcium carbonate, and some magnesium hydroxide. Fermentation items I need to research more but that's what I have. What else would you suggest?
I thank you for your time.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: The Unknown List

Post by Demy »

What should you produce? For example you should have a fermenter.... or a system to make a grain mash... it's a generic question....
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Flour and water..
I did a poor job soldering a ferrule, and the joint cracked during a run. Thankfully, a little flour paste was all it took to make a very functional patch to let me finish the run. After that experience, I’m always ready to mix some up if needed.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Tōtōchtin wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:53 pm
What else would you suggest?
Paper towels, mop and a bucket.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Double up on stuff that doesn't bounce well. There are no local places for me get beakers, measuring cylinders, hydrometers, etc., so I always have backup glassware.

Tips:
If you glue a wider base onto a measuring cylinder, it's a lot harder to knock it over.

Slaked lime is better than Calcium Carbonate if you get caught out by a pH stall.
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

I thank you for that, I bought some good items so I can calibrate some meters I bought from Poland as backups. I will look into that slacked lime, appreciate the tip.
As for cleanup on aisle 5 , I'm world class messy... So I'm prepared for my everyday minor upsets.
Tōto
Just looked up slacked lime. I use it in my tumeric and ginger patches. I know it as calcium hydroxide.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Jars to collect fractions. 24 - 36. Glasses for testing cuts. 20 or so. Jugs for storage. I use 1/2 gallon and gallon jugs and several gallon jars. Oyster shells. A pH meter and calibration fluids are handy.

Cheers,
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Jstroke
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jstroke »

Depends on your set up, but back up hoses and connectors. Let’s call it the cooling side of the equation.

Flux, solder and gas. Never know when a leak appears or free copper falls from the sky.
If in doubt leave it out.
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

If the gods start dropping copper out of the sky I will start believing in heaven. I just had to pay 330 US for a 3 meters of 3 ". I have about 1.5 lb of solder so let the heavens rain copper down on me. I have enough ideas to put it to good use.
Tōtō
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Corn meal and ensymes. Not certain it fits the thread title? Because it is always planned
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?