fascination peaked

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Aquaman13
Novice

fascination peaked

Post by Aquaman13 »

Hello Everyone.
Its nice to know I'm not alone. I am absolutely a beginner at this and I am fascinated with the idea of making alcohol. Actually, the whole idea of infusing anything together and making it not only drinkable, but enjoyable. I'm currently working with a simple sugar mash just to get the feel of things and crossing my fingers that I'll fulfill my expectations. I've asked lots of questions along the way using my browser but now I decided the best way to obtain knowledge was to join this forum and do some studying. Wish me luck!
Jstroke
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: fascination peaked

Post by Jstroke »

Welcome aboard. Lots and lots of reading ahead. Reach out if you get lost.
If in doubt leave it out.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

good luck
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Lots of luck. Welcome 🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Welcome and good luck Aquaman13 !

Just a friendly note that you're sure to come across in your research:
- A mash is a process where grains are converted to sugars by mashing in with malts and/or enzymes at specific temperatures. An exampke would be a all-grain bourbon, or an all malt whisk(e)y..
- A wash is typically a sugar based ferment perhaps with some other flavor contributing ingredients. Eg; UJSSM, Shady's Sugar Shine, etc..

Cheers!
-jonny
β€”β€”β€”β€”
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
β€”β€”β€”β€”
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Welcome to HD

" Good luck " and " Crossing one's fingers " will lead nowhere..

Researching, comprehension of what's read/researched, making notes, will lead to developing understanding of the task..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

hello and welcome
Aquaman13
Novice

Post by Aquaman13 »

So I thought I would leave a little comment as to where I was before joining this forum and learning I was heading down the rabbit hole head first.
Prior to being here I had purchased a small setup and items I felt would work in a little home brewing attempt. I mixed a small sugar wash and tried my best not to open it too often just to 'see' what it was doing. I kept reading bits and pieces as I had questions and purchased several additional items I realized I needed. I figured my wash should be ready in a week or so and I noticed the activity had slowed or maybe even stopped, but I was still getting a sweet smell. I tasted it and it was still sweet. So again I began reading and found ph issues could be involved. Sure enough, ph was 2.7 in the wash and I figured it was start over time. Rather than throw it away and do additional studying prior to starting new, I decided to use some baking soda mixed in distilled water to raise the ph and 'see what happens'. 12 hours later I have active bubbling again. I realize I have a lot of studying to do to actually get to a point where I understand what I am doing and can 'fix' an issue when it shows itself, but I have to admit I am a trial and error kind of guy. I truly wish I had someone close to me that would show me the ropes personally but until then I'm going to proceed with study and some experiments. any one in the 95301 area like to teach? Hope to hear comments on what you think with where I'm at with this wash, what I'm doing wrong, if I've crossed any lines I should not have crossed, or just help (good or bad, we learn from it all)
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Most will say to add some pickling lime(calcium hydroxide)to raise ph. I hang a small bag of egg shells in my washes. I only have to monitor ferment temp after that. My TFF's finish in 4 days every time.
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

I think you mean "piqued".

:) :) :) :) :)

Welcome.
:)