Attitude

This forum is used by 1000's of people from dozens of countries. Please observe the rules, we all want to get along and contribute in a graceful manner.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Moe313
Novice

Attitude

Post by Moe313 »

I have seen so many admonishment’s about asking questions…it makes one uneasy. Why do you exist if not to answer the questions of other newbys ? I am going to rethink my decision to join this forum. I do not wish to be a burden, nor do I suffer insults well. Good luck to you.

Moe.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: Attitude

Post by Yummyrum »

Well thats sad Moe.

There certainly was a period when this forum had a bunch of members that were less than accommodating and I stopped frequenting this place .

I would hope that you do stay and will understand that admin had tried really hard to stamp out that negative vibe and make this place once again a central place about home distilling where newbys through to experienced distillers can all share space without the bullshit you found .

Having said that , there are still a few grumpy old farts here . We give them a smack over the ears now and then but for the most part , they are helpful and if you ignore their rudeness , they do offer good advice when it comes to home distilling .

Anyway ,ask away . There is no such thing as a dumb question .

If anyone gives you shit , Mods will generally step in .
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Yummyrum wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:39 am There is no such thing as a dumb question.
well, until you ask for a second time! :D :D
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Don't be discouraged Moe. Lots of people are here to help you along the way. I knew nothing when I joined. But with lots of hardwook and TONS of reading here I am. I'm making some pretty good booze. I look back now at my post and wonder "why did I ask that"? Schooling is never easy(for most) unless your a genius. Ignore the one who insult and listen to the ones who care.
But most of all......and you said it best

"But I ain’t gonna quit trying"!
Cheers Moe 🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Good morning Moe. Also hope you stick around and frequent the pages. The hobby is rewarding and no one here gets paid. You’ll notice that the place also isn’t littered with ads.

There are some reading links at the bottom of every page that are highly recommended so pull up a chair and spend some time reading, researching, and asking questions - contributing to the culture if you will. Your contributions are already appreciated and we encourage you to stick it out because what you bring to the community is appreciated :)

It doesn’t take too long to get up to speed where one is also able to assist other new folks joining the community if that might be of interest. It does take some time and effort which is well worth it in my opinion.

Nothing like the feeling when those first drops are out of the spout and you realize that you can do this.

Thankfully, The path to a quality drop is paved with many samples :)

Cheers,
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:29 am Good morning Moe. Also hope you stick around and frequent the pages. The hobby is rewarding and no one here gets paid. You’ll notice that the place also isn’t littered with ads.

There are some reading links at the bottom of every page that are highly recommended so pull up a chair and spend some time reading, researching, and asking questions - contributing to the culture if you will. Your contributions are already appreciated and we encourage you to stick it out because what you bring to the community is appreciated :)

It doesn’t take too long to get up to speed where one is also able to assist other new folks joining the community if that might be of interest. It does take some time and effort which is well worth it in my opinion.

Nothing like the feeling when those first drops are out of the spout and you realize that you can do this.

Thankfully, The path to a quality drop is paved with many samples :)

Cheers,
-jonny
:thumbup:
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Hi Moe,
Your time here has been so brief.
What thread, topic, person specifically broke the camel's back?

I would wager that many of the responses you've read were far more "matter of fact" with a minimal (if any) candy coating.
The folks that take interest and excel in this hobby are pretty intelligent and often assertively direct.
I suspect the type written answers dont come across as friendly as the soft and melodic tone of Yummy's actual speaking voice. I personally can listen to him speak for hours lol.

Seriously though, hang out for a while.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

yo bro don't go
stick around at least until you're a swill maker
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Good luck to you too, Moe. You won’t find a better forum elsewhere.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Moe313 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:19 pm I have seen so many admonishment’s about asking questions…it makes one uneasy. Why do you exist if not to answer the questions of other newbys ? I am going to rethink my decision to join this forum. I do not wish to be a burden, nor do I suffer insults well. Good luck to you.

Moe.
They're not scoldings for asking a question at all. They're a heads up to the newbie that a little more on his part is needed for the forum to be effective, efficient. Its the same as a critical writing student who shows up to class without knowing basic grammar or a basketball player who shows up to practice out of shape. The members here are quite gracious with sharing what they've learned, but there is a tendency by members to want to help newbs who show initiative and make an effort to learn.

Every new guy/gal wants to know how to distill, but it is a fair bet to say the answer to every one of the questions new folks ask (repeatedly) is here, waiting to be discovered, read and understood. By virtue of some of my own threads/posts, I receive a good number of inquiries and requests for information/services from members who have never posted beyond an intro, (nor ever intend to) yet from their questions it is easy to see many have grasped a large portion of the principles of distilling through their digging through the Forum.

From all of the above responses, you're encouraged and welcome to join in. Do some research first and ask whatever questions you have if you get stumped. Just reading will answer a lion's share of your questions and relieve any perceived burden of asking them.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Twisted Brick wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:07 am They're not scoldings for asking a question at all. They're a heads up to the newbie that a little more on his part is needed for the forum to be effective, efficient. Its the same as a critical writing student who shows up to class without knowing basic grammar or a basketball player who shows up to practice out of shape. The members here are quite gracious with sharing what they've learned, but there is a tendency by members to want to help newbs who show initiative and make an effort to learn.
Well answered TB..

Much more diplomatic than what I consider of his views and criticism of the forum..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Thanks, Mars. It's unfortunate the number of potential members who don't join because of perceptions like Moe's. I'm sure it gets old just hearing (and saying) "go read and come back when you know more. Then you can ask questions."

Its crazy how much there is to learn in this hobby.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Twisted Brick wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:45 am Its crazy how much there is to learn in this hobby.
There is much to learn in every aspect of life.. the hobby only makes one aware of such.. but life itself one to pay attention to details as well..

Yes there is much to learn of the hobby.. on surface is looks so simple until one starts.. the problem is many don't want to recognize that it's not that simple.. and the problems is compounded by a mindset that it is supposedly simple that I should be an expert now..

When you advice people that they are not paying attention to details, they come back with a recital of defence why there is no need for such..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

IMO the best way to learn and continue learning is to be vulnerable enough to able to explain something to someone in easy to understand terms that makes sense to them - from their POV of "not knowing yet what they need to know".

The more I learn every day the less I realize I know compared to what I thought I knew. Experience does not necessarily equate to knowledge and vice versa and sometimes it does too..

Cheers and best to all in this journey,
jonny
————
————
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:58 am
IMO the best way to learn and continue learning is to be vulnerable enough to able to explain something to someone in easy to understand terms that makes sense to them - from their POV of "not knowing yet what they need to know".
Totally agree with this. I was told a long time ago a good instructor can explain things in more than one way in the event the original explanation wasn't comprehended.
The more I learn every day the less I realize I know compared to what I thought I knew. Experience does not necessarily equate to knowledge and vice versa and sometimes it does too..
So true! One day, when this hobby becomes legal, the plan is to open and run a distilling school, starting out as its principal instructor. Maybe this is why my posts have usually included detailed explanations, but they have aptly served as practice in presenting concepts to a live audience. I'm obviously still working on it, but one quickly finds out one's limits when attempting to instruct others.

I have tried to follow this model:
Attachments
The Mediocre Teacher Tells.jpeg

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:58 am IMO the best way to learn and continue learning is to be vulnerable enough to able to explain something to someone in easy to understand terms that makes sense to them - from their POV of "not knowing yet what they need to know".

Cheers and best to all in this journey,
jonny
That's a great point Jonny, it really is important to start giving advise that is simple and easy to understand.
Once a bit of a correct knowledge base is acquired
then the more complex problems can be resolved.
More often than not they can actually solve it themselves.
Despite what a few think the basis of what we do is very simple :D
Thanks for posting mate, it's made me think about how I respond in future
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Twisted Brick wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:39 pm
Totally agree with this. I was told a long time ago a good instructor can explain things in more than one way in the event the original explanation wasn't comprehended.
So true! One day, when this hobby becomes legal, the plan is to open and run a distilling school, starting out as its principal instructor. Maybe this is why my posts have usually included detailed explanations, but they have aptly served as practice in presenting concepts to a live audience. I'm obviously still working on it, but one quickly finds out one's limits when attempting to instruct others.

And a good student questions, tests, researches, and actively learns and maybe also importantly makes mistakes. I'm going to try that whiskey yeast soon after I get through a couple other things :)

Cheers,
jonny
————
————
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:58 am The more I learn every day the less I realize I know compared to what I thought I knew.
Reminds me of the old " you dont know what you dont know yet" thing Jonny.
Im still suffering from the same thing, the more that I learn the more that I realize that there is a lot that I either don't know or don't fully understand.
As most will know I've never minded answering questions to help newbs or others where I can.
The simple fact is that most that only ask questions wont ever get far in this hobby, a question gives you the solution to one problem.
The way to really learn here and on other forums Ive frequented is to read as many posts as often as you can, it doesn't matter if those posts are today's new posts, or from 10 years ago. You will learn something from most of them, mostly what you learn will be the answers to questions you didn't even know you had yet.......that in turn fast tracks learning.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

The way to really learn here and on other forums Ive frequented is to read as many posts as often as you can, it doesn't matter if those posts are today's new posts, or from 10 years ago. You will learn something from a most of those posts, mostly what you learn will be the answers to questions you didn't even know you had yet.......that in turn fast tracks learning.

+1 Bill. I often tell people there is a wealth of information buried in the archives here.
90% of my questions and searches are found reading here. I screen shot them and every once and a while I go back and read my pics I took. Like they say,read till your eyes bleed. I now need glasses. :lol:
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

This thread is turning/becoming a very good thread, unfortunately, the title will cause it to become lost on searches..

Nothing in life is complex, it's only complex for lack of information on how it works..

If one takes time to research the how and why of the working of anything, one can get a handle quite quickly if one spend the time to further the quest for understanding of it.. other people help are generally not required or if required it's at a minimum or clarification it the research is done..

The information has always been available, but more so since the internet..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

required it's at a minimum or clarification it the research is done..

The information has always been available, but more so since the internet. Agreed 100% Mars
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

StillerBoy wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:48 pm This thread is turning/becoming a very good thread, unfortunately, the title will cause it to become lost on searches..

Nothing in life is complex, it's only complex for lack of information on how it works..

If one takes time to research the how and why of the working of anything, one can get a handle quite quickly if one spend the time to further the quest for understanding of it.. other people help are generally not required or if required it's at a minimum or clarification it the research is done..

Mars
We won’t give up on you Mars :)

Cheers!
-jonny
————
————
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:59 pm
StillerBoy wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:48 pm This thread is turning/becoming a very good thread, unfortunately, the title will cause it to become lost on searches..

Mars
We won’t give up on you Mars :)

Cheers!
-jonny
+100

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

StillerBoy wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:48 pmIf one takes time to research … other people help are generally not required or if required it's at a minimum or clarification it the research is done..
While the information is almost certainly out there, it’s not always easy to find or understand until you have enough knowledge to process it properly. I have no doubt that ten minutes conversation with you would be more educational than ten hours of reading. To me, that’s the point of a forum like this. Otherwise, we might as well call it an encyclopedia and make it read only.

Mars, good sir, some of your posts have been a bit abrasive, but I would still much prefer to ask your advice than to have to spend hours in a library (digital or otherwise) trying to sort through complex and sometimes conflicting information. I appreciate your willingness to share, as I appreciate everyone here.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I don't think he's coming back.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Deplorable wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:58 pm I don't think he's coming back.
Who?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Twisted Brick wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:39 pm

My favorite quote related to this is "If you can't explain a complicated process simply, you don't understand it well enough."
Jstroke
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jstroke »

He hasn’t been back since the day he posted this.
If in doubt leave it out.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

bcook608 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:33 pm
My favorite quote related to this is "If you can't explain a complicated process simply, you don't understand it well enough."
Great quote... applies perfectly.

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

LWTCS wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:24 pm
Who?
You know, what's his name. :wink:
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.