Different proof from start to finish

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dbld2122
Novice

Different proof from start to finish

Post by Dbld2122 »

I did my first ever batch last week! I did a corn, sugar, barley, and rye mash. When distilling the first jar after throwing out the first 200 or so ml came to about 120 proof. The second and third jar came to about 80 proof and seemed more sweet. Is this normal? I ran the temp at the head consistently at 190-200. I use a 13 gallon still with thumper.
Thanks!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Different proof from start to finish

Post by Deplorable »

Yes, and tape over the thermometer.
Focus on maintaining a steady output.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

A consistent temp close to boiling is a stripping run in my book. You will get smearing at a constant temp (which is OK for s stripping run) Like Deplorable mentioned, no need to look at the thermometer. Keep the output steady and increase your boiler temp throughout the run as needed. (for a spirit run) I haven't used a thermometer for ever. You can monitor your column by feel to know when to start the condenser water. And yes, the portfolio will go down as you run. The proof is the only thing I check towards the end. Smell and taste along the way is most important.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Dbld2122 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:45 am… I did a corn, sugar, barley, and rye mash…
Did you actually “mash” the grains, or just stir it into the fermenter like the actors do on that Discovery channel TV show? If you did, then why dilute the flavors by adding sugar?
Dbld2122 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:45 am… When distilling the first jar after throwing out the first 200 or so ml came to about 120 proof. The second and third jar came to about 80 proof and seemed more sweet. Is this normal? …
That’s a big change between jar 1 and jar 2. The 1st jar was a 200ml collection. How much was collected in jar 2? Did you collect in only 3 jars? For a spirit run, I collect into 18-24 jars so I get a good measurement of where to make my cuts.

As far as taste, the heads (and foreshots) will be very solventy, and it’ll smell like fingernail polish remover with a somewhat “fruity” smell. But, it’ll be very warming and hot (not temperature hot tho) on the tongue and lips because of the solvents.

As you progress, the collection will be sweet and less burning on the tongue although it will still be warming in your chest. By mid-run, the taste will be only slightly sweet (corn makes a sweetness in the flavor) and the aroma will have become solvent-free and you’ll just smell the clean alcohol.

Of note, the rye will contribute a slight spiciness later in the run, but that may not be identifiable depending on the portion used in your recipe.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

First, forget the temprature, run by output. Second, what type of still? Third, volume? Fourth, how do you control heat input? == first. But congrats on producing, it will get beter.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

Dbld2122 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:45 am Is this normal?
not really no, it doesn't sound like it
Dbld2122
Novice

Post by Dbld2122 »

No I did not mash the grains. It was a kit and I just followed the directions to make 5 gallons. I was pleased how it turned out. Probably a little too sweet though. And I definitely got a little bit of the “solvent” smell. Burns the lips and tongue a little. My still is a normal 13 gallon kit. Stainless pots and copper tubing. I do think I should upgrade the condenser. Heat is a propane burner that I have used for shrimp boils.
The process produced 3 800ml jars. I stopped early though. I ran out of cooling for the condenser and since it was my first I figured I would just stop while ahead.
I was worried to get the temp too high. I have always read “low and slow”. What would happen if I went a little higher on my temp?
Thank you for the info! Any other advice??
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Dbld2122 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:00 pm No I did not mash the grains. It was a kit and I just followed the directions to make 5 gallons. I was pleased how it turned out. Probably a little too sweet though. And I definitely got a little bit of the “solvent” smell. Burns the lips and tongue a little. My still is a normal 13 gallon kit. Stainless pots and copper tubing. I do think I should upgrade the condenser. Heat is a propane burner that I have used for shrimp boils.
The process produced 3 800ml jars. I stopped early though. I ran out of cooling for the condenser and since it was my first I figured I would just stop while ahead.
I was worried to get the temp too high. I have always read “low and slow”. What would happen if I went a little higher on my temp?
Thank you for the info! Any other advice??
I don't know what kind of still you have, but if you are using a basic pot still then you would benefit by first doing a stripping run as fast as you can then do a Spirit Run slow. Most let it air out for a day or so, make your cuts and then dilute to drinking strength.
Dbld2122
Novice

Post by Dbld2122 »

Yes basic pot still. Amazon special.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Read all the comments again. Most told you to forget temprature. It is not how distilation works. The "low and slow" motto is about heat input and take off speed. Heat input can be low or high. Low heat input will have a gentle boil with slow vapour speeds, high will be a vigorous boil with high vapour speed. Heat input is very different than temprature.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?