How much seaweed/kelp

All things to do with making of gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

Terrenum
Novice

How much seaweed/kelp

Post by Terrenum »

HI there,

Anyone tried adding seaweed/kelp/kombu as a botanical?

How much did you use?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: How much seaweed/kelp

Post by NZChris »

I harvested some kelp and dried it, but it doesn't smell pleasant and I haven't made anything with it.

If you have a mini still, I suggest you make an essence using neutral.

I use 60g per liter of 43% and take 440ml. Smell a 10ml foreshot and decide if you want to include it.

Every liter of essence contains the VOCs from 136g of botanical. Use that to calculate how much to blend into your gin, whatever.
SouthwestAl
Novice

Post by SouthwestAl »

Is this the famous Sugar Kelp that Harris Gin uses?

I managed to get a bottle here in Brazil recently, and it's very nice, but I wasn't sure what the Kelp added, as I don't know the flavour - I guess it's a cold water seaweed?

Distilling it on its own sounds the best approach, to see where the 'good' flavours come through. I need to see what edible seaweeds are available on the coastline here to see find out what the flavour profile is like.
SOUTHWEST DESTILARIA DE BEBIDAS LTDA
CNPJ: 37.412.594/0001-58
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

Saccharina latissima is a brown alga (class Phaeophyceae), of the family Laminariaceae. It is known by the common names sugar kelp,[2] sea belt,[3] and Devil's apron,[4] and is one of the species known to Japanese cuisine as kombu.[5] It is found in the north Atlantic Ocean, Arctic Ocean and north Pacific Ocean. It is common along the coast of Northern Europe as far south as Galicia Spain, the coast of North America north of Massachusetts and central California, and the coast of Asia south to Korea and Japan.[6]

https://harrisdistillery.com/blogs/jour ... p-spring-1
Si vis pacem, para bellum
SouthwestAl
Novice

Post by SouthwestAl »

Tōtōchtin wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:08 am Saccharina latissima is a brown alga (class Phaeophyceae), of the family Laminariaceae. It is known by the common names sugar kelp,[2] sea belt,[3] and Devil's apron,[4] and is one of the species known to Japanese cuisine as kombu.[5] It is found in the north Atlantic Ocean, Arctic Ocean and north Pacific Ocean. It is common along the coast of Northern Europe as far south as Galicia Spain, the coast of North America north of Massachusetts and central California, and the coast of Asia south to Korea and Japan.[6]

https://harrisdistillery.com/blogs/jour ... p-spring-1
Thanks for that good information - doesn't sound like I am going to find it around the coast of Brazil then!
SOUTHWEST DESTILARIA DE BEBIDAS LTDA
CNPJ: 37.412.594/0001-58