Cleaning after modifications

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Cleaning after modifications

Post by elbono »

As lazy as I am I have allowed my risk averse side to require full cleaning (scrub , vinegar run, sac run) whenever I solder on a piece or add something to my still.

I've recently learned to tig weld and wonder if it needs the same protocol when all that is involved is argon and stainless steel (parts and filler).

For an example if when welding on a fill port (clean and passivate both sides of it afterwards) would you go through the full new still cleaning procedure? Something less? Fire it up and go about normal operations?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Cleaning after modifications

Post by NZChris »

If there is no flux involved, I just scrub it with detergent and hot water.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

It depends on if I can get too and clean every nook and cranny.
I also try to build stuff in such a way that I can. :ewink:
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I’m thinking same as you all :clap: . And I see no real problems with Argon shielded TIG . A quick scrub with something like a SS scrubber and a rinse would be all I’d go for .

I think a bit like Shady and try to make joints as accessible for easy physical cleaning during the construction .

Even when it comes to good old liquid flux ( which is water soluble ) and solder , I’m honestly happy with a physical clean with water . Personally I’d trust that better than the vinegar / sac run method .

What I don’t trust is that nasty Petroleum based paste flux :thumbdown:

Really stretching the OT from Argon shielded TIG here , but I also don’t see any real issues with brazed copper to copper with no flux either .

But once you apply Borax based brazing fluxes like to do Copper to brass , I get nervous again .
Preferential treatment is hard physical scrub to remove that crusty crap .

I honestly think its a case of what you can’t see , you don’t want to know about , that is why we trust in the vinegar and sac run .

Which brings me back to “ can you give it a hard physical scrub ?” …. That beats all the sac cleaning bull shit IMO
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

Thanks guys!

I've been delaying some modifications so can do them all at once and only have to clean one time.

Doing mods one at a time will probably mean a better physical scrubbing too.

No worries on accessibility, if I can tig it, it is definitely accessible.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Nice thing about a water run.
You get to see any leaks or other problems before filling the pot with wash.
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

I do a variety of leak checks, a steam run is the last. Since I'm working on the boiler so I put the pot still head on it and make it blow bubbles in a bucket.

My tig welding is at best acceptable, I have just gotten to where I can stick a ferrule to a keg without warping the ferrule so much it won't seal.

I detest the smell of vinegar, eliminating that is a HUGE relief. I scrub with citric acid for manual cleaning.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

elbono wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:37 pm
I detest the smell of vinegar, eliminating that is a HUGE relief. I scrub with citric acid for manual cleaning.
Plus 1
Citric acid doesn't grow on the farm. So, I often soak parts in hot backset.
I do the same to passivate SS, it's not the proper way, but it seems to work good enough.
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

I've got a pH.mystery with my backset, it comes up neutral when I test with pH paper. Doesn't kill weeds, or act acidic in any other way.

That's a whole different story. Current theory is something in my city water, I'm going to experiment with rain water, river water and distilled water but until then I'm stuck with citric or vinegar. I've got a jug of muriatic I can't get rid of but I'm not going there.
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

elbono wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:37 pm I do a variety of leak checks, a steam run is the last. Since I'm working on the boiler so I put the pot still head on it and make it blow bubbles in a bucket.

My tig welding is at best acceptable, I have just gotten to where I can stick a ferrule to a keg without warping the ferrule so much it won't seal.

put a end cap or another ferrule on with a clamp when welding to keep from warping
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

elbono wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:46 pm I've got a pH.mystery with my backset, it comes up neutral when I test with pH paper. Doesn't kill weeds, or act acidic in any other way.
That don't sound right.. cause without some acidic level, there would be fermentation issue, as yeast require an acidic environment..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

StillerBoy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:38 pm That don't sound right...
Mars
It definitely AIN'T RIGHT! I noticed my backset doesn't really clean stuff, doesn't kill weeds so I stuck pH paper in it and it comes up close to neutral.

Weirdest part is what I pour in the boiler is acidic, maybe 4-5 pH and what I pour out isn't.

Must be sum crazy commy chemicals the gubmint men is putting in my water :crazy:

I'm going to try other water sources.
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

ecir54 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:14 pm put a end cap or another ferrule on with a clamp when welding to keep from warping
I've considered doing that but I think I would melt the gasket and without a gasket it's loose in the clamp.

Hot metal has a way of doing what it wants too.

The real solution is to not put so much heat into the joint. I'm not good enough to move as quickly as I should so I weld a little, let it cool off, weld a little on the other side, rinse, repeat...

Currently I've learned how far "a little" can be without causing warping.
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

elbono wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:00 pm
ecir54 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:14 pm put a end cap or another ferrule on with a clamp when welding to keep from warping
I've considered doing that but I think I would melt the gasket and without a gasket it's loose in the clamp.

Hot metal has a way of doing what it wants too.

The real solution is to not put so much heat into the joint. I'm not good enough to move as quickly as I should so I weld a little, let it cool off, weld a little on the other side, rinse, repeat...

Currently I've learned how far "a little" can be without causing warping.
I hear ya, could always make a filler out of copper or metal to take up the gap.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

elbono wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:54 pm Weirdest part is what I pour in the boiler is acidic, maybe 4-5 pH and what I pour out isn't.
That don't make any sense to me, in all the yrs I've been making washes, the Ph of the finished wash, the backset has also.. and I've done them with lots of different waters and from different area.. and have helped many do washes with the same results..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein