Howdy y'all

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bolverk
Trainee

Howdy y'all

Post by Bolverk »

Howdy y'all,

This is my obligatory first post. 😅

A little about me... im in the SW USA, i like star wars, horses, rye whiskey, and long walks off short piers.

I have been making mead for a while now. I was given one of those cheapy Amazon pot stills after a lifetime of wanting to make whiskey, and I was immediately hooked. So far I've made mostly sugar washes but I've outgrown those, and want to try my hand and some whiskey and rums.

As it turns out distilling is legal in my state if you register your still... but im still trying to figure that out, they didn't make it easy.

Currently, I have a 7.75g shorty keg, 2" triclamp pot still w/1650w element that I'm working on upgrading to a short fat column (triclamp parts) so i do can do single runs. I've been working on a 2" continuous stripping column so i dont have to do so many stripping runs to fill the keg; and hey its finally coming together! I've been lurking and reading here for a while, just finally felt like it was time to join.

I'm hoping to learn as much as possible and help where I can.

That's all I got for now folks.

Best,
Bolverk
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Howdy y'all

Post by Bradster68 »

Welcome to the club 🍻.
Be sure to check REAL GOOD. I personally know of no state allowing personal distilling. But iv been wrong before.
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Bradster68 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:53 am Welcome to the club 🍻.
Be sure to check REAL GOOD. I personally know of no state allowing personal distilling. But iv been wrong before.
https://www.distillate.org/laws/Missouri
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

That's interesting. I suppose as long as you didn't get careless the feds might have no reason to kick your door in. It's also a step in the right direction for home distilling.
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

hello and welcome. I too enjoy a long walk off a short peer (on a hot summer day) :thumbup:
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Welcome! I’d love to live in a state where this hobby is legal, but not willing to move to Missouri…. Enjoy the journey!
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
Bolverk
Trainee

Post by Bolverk »

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Looking forward to participating
There are two types of people in this world.
1. Those that can extrapolate from incomplete information.