sight glasses

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

sabu386
Novice

sight glasses

Post by sabu386 »

I was on this sight about 8 or 10 years ago and found it very helpful. Made a turkey fryer still with a wet cooling coil and a 1/4 beer keg with 2 inch copper and a shotgun condenser. The beer keg stuff was modular to be able to move it to a 15 gal beer keg I owned but had not set up yet. I built a flute from 4 inch copper with 6 preferated plates. Built the shotgun defrageameter with lots of pipes by mistake but i guess there cannot be too much cooling. Now the important part. I used copper triclamp ferrels for the sight glasses and bought pyrex glass made to fit sight glasses that attached with multiple socket head screws to another type of sight glass. I had intended to use 2 inch triclamps with the included silicone o-rings. Internet was full of this method at the time. Now I can not find any reference to this on the internet at all. Went back to some old still dragon literature and pics of this method are there so I did not imagine it. Why did this method disappear. Is it dangerous. Is another method better and safer. Tell me what you think or even better what you know. I have a lot of very nice copper work and I really do not want to de solder and resolder different sight glasses but it can be done if it has to be done. Thanks for your time.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Re: sight glasses

Post by Salt Must Flow »

I suspect you don't see that style these days because you can use Tri-Clamp Sight Glass Diopters which allows you to see more of the bubble caps than a round plate in the front.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Check out Still Dragon
https://stilldragon.com/2-brass-sight-glass-kit.html
These are the two inch units, they also have them in three inch.
They bolt up right on a tri-clamp ferrule.
Still Dragon also sells just the borcilite glass
https://stilldragon.com/2-sight-glass-lens.html
Hope this helps
Love to see some pics of your builds
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Windy City wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:08 pm
Still Dragon also sells just the borcilite glass
Early on I bought a Still Dragon 3" borosilicate replacement glass and after wrapping the rim in PTFE tape just tri-clamped it to my tee and it worked a treat.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

I bought the still dragon 2" borosilicate glasses. Was the first shipment back 10 or 11 tears ago and attached with ptfe tape and tri-clamped. Worked great and are still working fine today. No need for more viewing area I can see all I need to with them.
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

bought one of these recently works good, just changed the gasket to a teflon one,

acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

ecir54 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:22 pm bought one of these recently works good, just changed the gasket to a teflon one,

You will need a special clamp for that.
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

? it is affixed to a another ferrule and uses standard tri clover clamp, see video in ad.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

ecir54 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:27 pm ? it is affixed to a another ferrule and uses standard tri clover clamp, see video in ad.
Nope one ferrule sweat to column glass wrapped in PTFE and tri-clamp to hold all together. It is too thick to use second ferrule. Did a bevel on the glass years ago but wasn't needed.
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

Will send a pic if you like geez

Watch the video in the ad.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

ecir54 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:47 pm Will send a pic if you like geez

Watch the video in the ad.
What ad?
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

the one that you replied to in my post. yo been drinking, lol.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

ecir54 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:59 pm the one that you replied to in my post. yo been drinking, lol.
Don't go to posted ads here as i get blasted with spam. And ya I've been drinking what's your point ? The OP was the intent of information you post was just side step to the old idea of site glasses
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

it is a link to amazon, lol.

maybe you shouldn't have replied to my post which was a reply to the op where he asked Is another method better and safer. I have the still dragon and the one i posted. slante
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

ecir54 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:21 pm it is a link to amazon, lol.

maybe you shouldn't have replied to my post which was a reply to the op where he asked Is another method better and safer. I have the still dragon and the one i posted. slante
If your happy with a 40$ Half a window NOT APPROVED good for you and go with it. Just not here.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

It looks perfectly kosher to me. Once you replace the included gasket with PTFE and get a standard tri-clover clamp, it is good to go.
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

acfixer69 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:33 pm

If your happy with a 40$ Half a window NOT APPROVED good for you and go with it. Just not here.
bless ya heart, cheers
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

ecir54 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:48 pm
acfixer69 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:33 pm

bless ya heart, cheers
I can only hope you can fine the time to post something useful some day.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

To the op. If the triclamp glasses served you well and the ferrules still well soldered/leak free, just stick to them. Hell, even if they leak a bit I would just fix it.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

acfixer69 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:56 pmWhat ad?
Can't say I blame you for missing that AC, took me a while searching the page, scroll way down the bottom.
ecir54 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:59 pm yo been drinking, lol.
Imagine that huh? someone on a distilling forum drinking.
Whole thing looks overly complicated and the glass is crazy thick, in short over kill for a 2 inch window..........Ive run the same standard 2 inch Still Dragon site glasses for 11 years now and never a problem with one.
Once you get into the bigger sized sight glasses they become more " fragile" when you tighten them" that's been my experience anyway.
If they make those things in 3, 4 and 6 Inch then Id buy one if I needed a larger size than 2 inch.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

ecir54 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:22 pm bought one of these recently works good, just changed the gasket to a teflon one,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09SL1WR7R?re ... tails&th=1
:thumbup: