Original gravity seems way high

All styles of whiskey. This is for all-grain mashes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Original gravity seems way high

Post by Bradster68 »

Well I did my first all corn basically 12lbs. I added a .5lb of oats. In 5 gallon. I ground my cracked corn twice through my roller mill. Came out very nice. I cooked the corn(added my alpha) at 80c for 4 hours, then let sit all night. Also cooked oat at 145 same time at 135 I added gluco. Also sat all night. This morning starch test was perfect. When I take my gravity reading I use a small mesh strainer very fine. I submerge it just low enough and shake back and forth this allows only juice to enter the strainer.
My question is, the liquid I tested said my gravity was 1.07.
Is this possible to get that kind of conversion with corn?
It's my first basically all corn. My first batch got an infection, so I'm trying again.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230203-083452_Chrome.jpg
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Buffalo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Original gravity seems way high

Post by Buffalo »

I haven't tried cracked corn yet but plan to do so once I get some. The math seems to say it would be possible. I almost never get as good a result that the math shows for most of the stuff I run. If I did this wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.
12.5 LBS x 30 /5 = 375 375/5 = 75
Regards,
Buffalo
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Bradster68 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:44 am Is this possible to get that kind of conversion with corn?
Yeah.. the going rate is 2 lbs per gal, and you have almost 2.5 lb..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Your potential starting was 1.086 so I don't think your high, your managing 76% efficiency. That's great for feed corn, and should make a nice drink.
:)
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Thanks Buffalo, Mars and Ben.
That makes me happy iv got my process for corn moving forward.
I never thought,but now remember there being a calculation for that.
I will download that app for future use.
Thanks again guys and 🍻
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Congrats, Bradster. Its good to hear of your positive results. Most reports from members new to mashing corn come in complaining of poor conversion with lots of head scratching.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Twisted Brick wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:18 pm Most reports from members new to mashing corn come in complaining of poor conversion with lots of head scratching.
Good results were achieved mainly because the member did some research before hand and develop some understanding.. unfortunately, those who have difficult in conversions haven't done proper research before hand, lack the knowledge required, and they get the result of their lack of such..

Then the forum spend it's time providing the research and knowledge..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Twisted Brick wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:18 pm Congrats, Bradster. Its good to hear of your positive results. Most reports from members new to mashing corn come in complaining of poor conversion with lots of head scratching.
Thanks TB. I pretty excited to try this batch.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

StillerBoy wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:47 pm
Twisted Brick wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:18 pm Most reports from members new to mashing corn come in complaining of poor conversion with lots of head scratching.
Good results were achieved mainly because the member did some research before hand and develop some understanding.. unfortunately, those who have difficult in conversions haven't done proper research before hand, lack the knowledge required, and they get the result of their lack of such..

Then the forum spend it's time providing the research and knowledge..

Mars
Well I have to say Mars I do spend alot of time on this forum. I have a huge binder of notes iv taken and kept from what iv did.
I also go through the archives here and screenshot info of post guys have made. Then every once and a while i go back and study those notes. There is so much good info here. And if your really determined ( like I am) you will have success.
Again though I have to thank the guys who make this possible. 🍻