One & Done or Spirit Run

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Barefoot Bob
Novice

One & Done or Spirit Run

Post by Barefoot Bob »

I have run through some UJSSM and I find that I have trouble discerning my cuts. I made some mods to my still and am getting higher ABV. What came off seems to be more flavorful (smelling) with more difference between heads hearts & tails that me previous runs. I still cannot smell or taste my way through all of the subtleties of cuts but this run is closer than the last. There seems to be less smearing in my attempt at one & done that in my earlier strip & spirit (that sounds backwards but that's what my nose is telling me!).

I have a 7.5 gallon keg with 110V 1650 watt low density element.
Head is 2" copper, 40" tall with a copper 90 and 2" to 1/2" reducer. 1/2" Leibig (same as still'n the clear build video only taller).
I started with two 2" in-line sight glass with copper bubble plate (2 sight glasses with 1 plate each), column goes on top of that.
The whole column with the 2 sight glasses is around 57" top to bottom.

I ran 6 gallons of 10% wash (+ about 6 pints of feints). Ran 8oz foreshot fast, then slowed to fast drip for collection (about 25-30 minutes per pint, just a guess). I then ran 8 pints of 80% ABV, then started dropping about 10% ABV per pint. Ran it out fast 60% to 40% & dumped everything below 60% in the feints jar (started smelling off). I kept 10 pints of heads & early tails.

The sweetest smelling stuff started about halfway through pint #2 and ran through pint #6. Pints #1-6 ran at a pretty steady 80% ABV. Pint #7 at 70% AVB and Pint #8 at 60%. Junk after that.

Question:
1. Is this ABV good for one and done? My nose says it is but I still feel more like I'm guessing than understanding. I really don't like the taste of the fresh stuff so I feel like I can't tell for sure until it sits for a month, maybe with a few oak chips.
2. Is strip & spirit going to create superior cuts? I believe that it will but I don't seem to be able to prove that in practice.

I am very pleased with my still mods, making my column taller and adding the plates. 80% ABV steady is the highest I have been able to run. I would like to make life easier by one & done but I don't want to give up flavor for convenience.

Any help is appreciated.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: One & Done or Spirit Run

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Are you running with reflux ?

Cheers,
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I see no mention of any reflux condenser, so what is the point of the plates?
With reflux, 40 inches of packed column over two bubble plates you should be able to pull very clean neutral with very distinct differences between heads, hearts and tails when properly run.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Barefoot Bob
Novice

Post by Barefoot Bob »

I do not have a reflux column. The height of the column gives me some reflux but it's a pot still. I wrapped about 10' of 1/4" copper around the column 5 or 6 inches from the top. It does send some vapor back down when I run water through it but not much - not enough to stop product form coming out (it's more of an experiment than anything else but it does slow the drip a little).

I have about a foot of the column packed with copper mesh just above the plates.
Barefoot Bob
Novice

Post by Barefoot Bob »

Frankenstill.jpg
Not sure how to make this pic stand up!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

2 passes thru that thing WOULD make your cuts easier to discern.

But more importantly, learning HOW TO make cuts will benefit you more. So, I suggest PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. It’s EXPERIENCE that will help the most. So, getcha’ summa’ that!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Renhoekk
Swill Maker

Post by Renhoekk »

I sometimes do a “one and done” for whiskey if I have a single boiler charge only. The difference is that I run a few plates plus a reflux condenser that gets me north of 80% ABV, so that one run is the equivalent of several standard pot distillations. If you’re just “raw pot stillin’ “ then you’re not going to get away with going from wort to final product in one hit
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Because it's a hybrid pot with some added reflux, you won't get much help from people experienced with your method.

Collect into around twenty jars and select a blend from those jars for your heart cut. Keep good records to refer back to.
Jstroke
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jstroke »

If you literally cannot tell the difference either way, here is just my guess. You need to slow your heat up time down and you need way more jars for cuts as Chris indicated. Try 1/2 pint jam jars. 2-3 cases.

So my advice on your next run.
Strip—toss a 1/2 pint foreshots per boiler, strip to zero%.
Spirit run—heat up SLOWLY. At least an hour to your first drop. Keep feeling that column. If it rises too fast turn her down. Take off a pint at a drip for foreshots. Now collect at a fast dribble. Collect your jars, air for 48 hours. Start your tasting in the middle jar, go towards tails. Watered down, spit. Then middle jar up to heads. You should be able to find your cut lines pretty easily. Tails taste flat at first, then like maybe chewing on paper. Heads start to prickle the lips, sides of the tongue. Use a 1/2 teaspoon as a scoop. Maybe 1 booze and 3 of H2O in a shot glass—Swish and spit. Go one or two jars past where you think you found your cut line. Then go back. Take a break, rinse your palette.
If in doubt leave it out.
Barefoot Bob
Novice

Post by Barefoot Bob »

Thanks for all the advice. My rig is a bit of a hybrid - I get some reflux but definitely a pot still. When I add the plates on the bottom it bumps my ABV better than 5 points per plate. I read somewhere that it's the same as adding a thumper but I guess it's not all that. The Boka should be up & running this weekend.
I explained my run in terms of pints but I'm actually switching jars every 8-10 ounces. Still not enough?? Please let me know.
I haven't tried letting them breath 48 hours before trying to make cuts - just overnight. I'll adjust that.
My 1650 watt element doesn't heat very fast but probably 45 minutes or so to my first drop with a 5-6 gallon charge. I will slow it down a bit and try again.
Cuts???? a work in progress! I'm hoping a few more tries and the fog will start to clear a bit. I'm working on some fast vodka now and I'll do an all corn this weekend. Maybe some new flavor will make it easier..., we'll see.
Thanks again