Shoud i boil the mash like when brewing beer?

Moderator: Site Moderator

IPA BREWER
Novice

Shoud i boil the mash like when brewing beer?

Post by IPA BREWER »

Hi,

I've been brewing all grain beer for some years. My question when preparing the mash do I need to do the boil after mashing 60 min in 66 c. Or is that just neccessary when doing beers with hops?

BR
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Shoud i boil the mash like when brewing beer?

Post by Stonecutter »

Here’s a topic that popped right up after typing “Boiling Mash” into the search function. There’s a ton more.
viewtopic.php?t=41076
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

As you'll know from beer making, the boil isn't just for hop infusion, but to kill any potential spoilage organisms from taking hold in the fermentation. With Whisky, some of those can be quite desirable and some people will even promote them.

I have a K-RIMS mash system that uses my 7 gallon pot still boiler as the kettle which heats and recirculates the water between it and my 20 gallon mash tun. If I ever wanted to boil my wort, I'd have to do it in batches, which would add a major amount of time to my brew day. I also do not actively cool my wort, so boiling it would give me no chance of pitching yeast before bed time.

Despite living dangerously, I still can't manage to get infections all that readily. For that, I'd love to have a wooden fermenter. One day maybe... So yeah, for me, boiling is against my own self-interests.
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

Coming from a brewing background, I can see why you’d want to boil your wort. I had the same question when starting the hobby.

As others have said, there is no need when distilling. When you finish your mash and cool to pitching temp, there are still active enzymes that will ensure you finish your ferment dry, squeezing out as much alcohol as possible. They work slower at ambient temps, but they still munch away. Boiling your wort will denature them.

If your product does get infected, it can actually be a blessing in disguise. Infected wash makes tasty whiskey with some nice fruity esters brought into the mix. Some members here intentionally pitch harvested, previously lacto infected yeast into subsequent batches to carry this flavor.

Being an avid brewer myself, it seems like sacrilege, but distilling is a different beast. Enjoy your trip down the rabbit hole! This hobby is addicting and I can honestly say, I make way less beer these days because of it.
IPA BREWER
Novice

Post by IPA BREWER »

Thanks all. By not boling I will save time cooking 2 batches after each other in a day.
BR :D
Renhoekk
Swill Maker

Post by Renhoekk »

No need to boil, for 3 key reasons:

1. You don’t drink wort, so there’s no need to sterilise the liquid via boiling. A well-managed all grain ferment should finish in a matter of days. This usually isn’t long enough for spoilage organisms to take hold. The yeast will keep most things at bay, unless there’s been a screw-up in sanitation. Any bacteria present don’t survive distillation

2. Boiling drives out oxygen from the mash, which is why brewers tend to re-oxygenate before pitching. As a distiller, there’s usually sufficient oxygen present for good yeast growth, as long as you don’t boil

3. Boiling kills any residual enzymatic activity in your mash. Distillers aim to maximise alcohol production, and this post-mash activity can give you at least another gravity point