My first run without a proof hydrometer

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Ridgeback816
Novice

My first run without a proof hydrometer

Post by Ridgeback816 »

So just before I started my run my wife accidentally dropped my hydrometer so instead of measuring every jar with a corresponding temperature reading for my notes all I did was collect and make notes from smell and taste it will air out tomorrow and I will taste for cuts on Tuesday i can'twait to see the differencebetweenwhere i think the cut is today and where it ends. I am guessing that I have between 6 and 7 liters between 70 and 80 percent. My plan is to age it in a small barrel for 10 months
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: My first run without a proof hydrometer

Post by still_stirrin »

Braille helps those who can’t “see” to read. It sounds like you’re learning how to use ALL your senses instead of relying on your “crutches”.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Ridgeback816
Novice

Post by Ridgeback816 »

Even if this turns out badly I will have learned a very expensive lesson on what not to do
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

You shouldn't need a proof hydrometer to make cuts.
Rely more on your senses
A hydrometer has no sense of smell or taste.
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

I rarely ever use my hydrometer to measure individual jars. I’ve never found it gave me any helpful data point to make cuts. Smell and taste are all you need. I only measure the final ABV after dumping all my keeper jars into one vessel. Interesting thing is I usually end up with a very similar combined ABV if I’m making the same recipe back to back, after cuts.

Use your hydrometer for proofing at the end. Also, you shouldn’t need a thermometer when pot stilling. More useless data.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

Good for you! The only thing I use a refractometer for is to know how far down to run the tails before I pull the plug. They go in the feints jar. It doesn't matter what the proof is along the way. The smell and taste are what gets put in the jars.
Last edited by 6 Row Joe on Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Congratulations Ridgeback . Now all you need to do is throw out the thermometer and you’ll be a real distiller :clap:

Seriously though , it can be daunting running with out crutches but it’ll be better for you in the long run
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Congratulations on a job well done. Doing a cut without modern crutches is a good skill to have.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

I've never used a hydrometer to make cuts. Taste, smell, intuition. You'll do fine.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

One day, when you consciously cut all of your batches without the ‘benefit’ of a hydrometer, you should thank your wife for doing you a giant favor. :mrgreen:
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Ridgeback816
Novice

Post by Ridgeback816 »

How do you all do cuts when tasting if you don't know your starting proof? I do normally smell and taste everything cut down to 30 percent without the hydrometer I know where I would make my cuts but they seem rather wide on the smell alone I haven't watered anything down yet to taste
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

If it smells and tastes good, it is almost certainly good.

I find I use various instruments during the run to judge how far along I am, but not to determine my chosen cut points. If I were doing multiple back-to-back runs of the exact same thing I can use the milestones I determined on the first run or two and apply to the rest, otherwise each run is unique and requires your senses to truly determine a cut point. Even then I still use my small jars as I approach, and pass, a cut point to 'catch' it. The rest is captured into a larger vessels since heads are heads, hearts are hearts and tails are tails and don't benefit from granular collection. That could also be a more experienced me talking as I used to collect all in jars and directly evaluated everything. Now I use my personal judgment to pick out the volume that needs such evaluation and just collect the rest together, in their respective vessels.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.