My first liebig build

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

My first liebig build

Post by Bradster68 »

I'm about 2 build my first liebig condensor for my son's pot still.
I was thinking 36 inches long but am wondering about diameter of each pipe (and obviously I can go longer if need be). I have been collecting all sizes for a while now. I have everything from 3/8 to 1-1/2 diameter.lengths are all 10 feet long. Can you go too big?
It will sit atop a keg not sure the size of keg yet but am thinking a 13 Gallon approximate.
But in the future we may expand to electric elements to get more power for strip runs.
So say I was using a couple 1500 watt or a 3500 watt. Can the liebig be too big?
My thought was potentially a 1.5 diameter with a 3/4 or 1/2 condensor inside. I'm sure there is a point of going too far. This will be only for whiskey,rum and Brandy.
Strip runs and spirit runs only. Another concern is during the spirit run would a too big of a condensor mess things up. Water flow will not be an issue as it's free and very cold.
Even a point in the right direction.
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: My first liebig build

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Personally Ive always preferred inch outer over 3/4 inner.
I don't know that too long matters.
If your using flame for heating its good to keep the product away from the flames.
6 foot away used to be one rule of thumb back before everyone was going electric.....that doesnt mean you need 6 foot of outer cooling jacket though.
Using a union to attach the condenser to the still allows the liebig to be used on different stills that you may make in the future.
Unless your short of space or copper a long liebig is better that a too short one any day.
20220509_135213.jpg
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Bradster68 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:33 pm
My thought was potentially a 1.5 diameter with a 3/4 or 1/2 condensor inside.
The jacket only needs to be one size bigger than the vapor tube.
Good matches would be 1/2" inside 3/4" ... 3/4" inside 1" and my favorite is 1" inside 1.5"
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Take this for what it’s worth. I’m no expert, but this is what I’ve done. I built one that’s 3/4” over 1/2” with a 24” outer that gave me a total jacketed length of 27.5” with the tees at either end. Coil of copper wire inside to force the water to spiral. I run it on a pot still on a residential stove, so it’s getting maybe 2000 watts? I don’t really know the wattage of the large burner, but that’s a ballpark guess. During a spirit run, I have the cooling faucet down as low as I can get it and I can barely feel the outlet getting warm. At full power, without changing the flow at all, the outlet is hot but it’s still condensing everything. I don’t know how much power it could knock down, but I’m confident that it’s far more than I can throw at it right now.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

My liebig is the same size as Steve's, and it will knock down about 3500 watts during stripping runs with a 2" riser pot still. It will do more, but I don't want to use that much water, and it invites puking. And during spirit runs it is a non-issue since you go a lot slower.

I can't see a need for a bigger size than 3/4 over 1/2 with a 2" column, but for a 3 or 4" I could see it.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:56 pm Personally Ive always preferred inch outer over 3/4 inner.
I don't know that too long matters.
If your using flame for heating its good to keep the product away from the flames.
6 foot away used to be one rule of thumb back before everyone was going electric.....that doesnt mean you need 6 foot of outer cooling jacket though.
Using a union to attach the condenser to the still allows the liebig to be used on different stills that you may make in the future.
Unless your short of space or copper a long liebig is better that a too short one any day.
20220509_135213.jpg
My current liebig is only 30 inch long and the angle.outs me close to the flame. At least I feel it's too close for comfort. By the looks of yours you about 5 or 6 feet? I would feel much better with that length. No shortage of space or copper.
Thanks Bill
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

shadylane wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:14 pm
Bradster68 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:33 pm
My thought was potentially a 1.5 diameter with a 3/4 or 1/2 condensor inside.
The jacket only needs to be one size bigger than the vapor tube.
Good matches would be 1/2" inside 3/4" ... 3/4" inside 1" and my favorite is 1" inside 1.5"
Iv got lots of each size. I was definitely thinking about doing this once. I'm sure that size would knock down pretty much any power a hobby Distiller could throw at it.👍
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Steve Broady wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:16 pm Take this for what it’s worth. I’m no expert, but this is what I’ve done. I built one that’s 3/4” over 1/2” with a 24” outer that gave me a total jacketed length of 27.5” with the tees at either end. Coil of copper wire inside to force the water to spiral. I run it on a pot still on a residential stove, so it’s getting maybe 2000 watts? I don’t really know the wattage of the large burner, but that’s a ballpark guess. During a spirit run, I have the cooling faucet down as low as I can get it and I can barely feel the outlet getting warm. At full power, without changing the flow at all, the outlet is hot but it’s still condensing everything. I don’t know how much power it could knock down, but I’m confident that it’s far more than I can throw at it right now.
Well Steve I know you've been playing around lately with alot of experiments by your post. That's a good example of power to size ratio and how it works. Thanku sir
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

higgins wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:33 pm My liebig is the same size as Steve's, and it will knock down about 3500 watts during stripping runs with a 2" riser pot still. It will do more, but I don't want to use that much water, and it invites puking. And during spirit runs it is a non-issue since you go a lot slower.

I can't see a need for a bigger size than 3/4 over 1/2 with a 2" column, but for a 3 or 4" I could see it.
I was wondering about puking also. That's why I'll be going 13 gallon so as to never overfill. My boy will be doing mostly 5 gallon wine.pails. he a brandyholic also
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Bradster68 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:16 pm My current liebig is only 30 inch long and the angle.outs me close to the flame. At least I feel it's too close for comfort. By the looks of yours you about 5 or 6 feet? I would feel much better with that length. No shortage of space or copper.
Add a few feet of copper to the end of the spout.. that will solve the fear of being too close..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

StillerBoy wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:29 pm Add a few feet of copper to the end of the spout.. that will solve the fear of being too close..

Mars
I was about to say the same. My leibig is 1.5” tri clamp on one end and 1/2” copper pipe on the other. I can easily extend it in either direction if I need to move it around. And I made sure to leave the outlet a straight cut pipe, so that I can slip it into a coupling if I need to.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

StillerBoy wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:29 pm
Bradster68 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:16 pm My current liebig is only 30 inch long and the angle.outs me close to the flame. At least I feel it's too close for comfort. By the looks of yours you about 5 or 6 feet? I would feel much better with that length. No shortage of space or copper.
Add a few feet of copper to the end of the spout.. that will solve the fear of being too close..

Mars
Yes absolutely Mars. I have to take care of my boy first. Then dad can fix his.👍
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Steve Broady wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:49 pm
StillerBoy wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:29 pm Add a few feet of copper to the end of the spout.. that will solve the fear of being too close..

Mars
I was about to say the same. My leibig is 1.5” tri clamp on one end and 1/2” copper pipe on the other. I can easily extend it in either direction if I need to move it around. And I made sure to leave the outlet a straight cut pipe, so that I can slip it into a coupling if I need to.
Great idea Steve. Iv got lots of info and advice to start drawing up plans
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Bradster68 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:58 pm I have to take care of my boy first. Then dad can fix his
Wrong approach in my view.. your still is in use / operating.. his isn't and will not be for while yet..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

I like plans. I like planning things out and overthinking things. But to be honest, I decided that the leibig was simple enough to just wing it. In retrospect, I was right. Buy the right fittings, or if you have the tools and skills to massage the copper you can make your own, and it just goes together like a dream. WAY simpler than a shotgun or a Dimroth.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

StillerBoy wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:05 pm
Bradster68 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:58 pm I have to take care of my boy first. Then dad can fix his
Wrong approach in my view.. your still is in use / operating.. his isn't and will not be for while yet..

Mars
Agreed. I guess I shouldn't have said close to flame. I was comparing one of 5 or 6 feet to my setup. I would not operate anything risky or dangerous. Saftey is my number one concern.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Steve Broady wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:06 pm if you have the tools and skills to massage the copper you can make your own, and it just goes together like a dream. WAY simpler than a shotgun
I used to view it as such, until I took the time to understand it's construction.. there are difference in parts required, but not in in soldering, as soldering is soldering, you either understand what to do or you don't..

It's mostly the fear of the unknown that stop most people from trying, and lack of wanting to overcome the fear..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Steve Broady wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:06 pm I like plans. I like planning things out and overthinking things. But to be honest, I decided that the leibig was simple enough to just wing it. In retrospect, I was right. Buy the right fittings, or if you have the tools and skills to massage the copper you can make your own, and it just goes together like a dream. WAY simpler than a shotgun or a Dimroth.
You are correct Steve. It's good to plan things out. Overthinking isn't bad as long as in the end you have a plan and a process for what you are doing. I guess in a way I'm Overthinking things maybe on my liebig. I could have simply gathered my info and built my own. But by me asking everyone (kinda like Overthinking) I got many options, and opinions that I can now use or ignore in my build. Lots of people are successful working by themselves. When I was a CNC Operator (machinist). Mistakes cost the company thousands maybe 100000 dollars worth of repairs. It was a trade that made you overthink things. You didn't have time to dwell on things time was money. This trade is not like that,but I guess it's still embedded in me. I'm an overthinker🍻
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

My Liebig is 3/4" over 1/2" and 36" from water inlet to water outlet with a 12ga spiral in the water jacket. It is gross overkill for a pot still spirit run or a reflux still product condenser. When stripping it can condense my full 6kW outputting fairly warm low wines, but I usually strip closer to 4.5kW to limit foaming and that gives distillate that is just slightly warm.

Higher power levels and controlling distillate temperature do need more water flow during stripping, but I can get cold product and screaming hot waste water with the barest trickle of cooling water on a spirit run.

Just putting some dimensions into context
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

For dimension comparison..

For stripping I use a 7 x 2" shotgun.. for spiriting, the gin pot (10L) uses a 1/2" x 3/4 x 10" liebig, and the 7 gal pot use a 1/2 x 3/4 x 16" liebig..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

zed255 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:04 am My Liebig is 3/4" over 1/2" and 36" from water inlet to water outlet with a 12ga spiral in the water jacket. It is gross overkill for a pot still spirit run or a reflux still product condenser. When stripping it can condense my full 6kW outputting fairly warm low wines, but I usually strip closer to 4.5kW to limit foaming and that gives distillate that is just slightly warm.

Higher power levels and controlling distillate temperature do need more water flow during stripping, but I can get cold product and screaming hot waste water with the barest trickle of cooling water on a spirit run.

Just putting some dimensions into context
Well thats definitely alot of power. Good to know
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

StillerBoy wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:20 am For dimension comparison..

For stripping I use a 7 x 2" shotgun.. for spiriting, the gin pot (10L) uses a 1/2" x 3/4 x 10" liebig, and the 7 gal pot use a 1/2 x 3/4 x 16" liebig..

Mars
Iv been reading about the shotgun styles. So maybe it's better to have more than one style for my different needs. In future I also would like a small gin still. Something more to think about.