Tequila Mezcal mash

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Wazp_
Novice

Tequila Mezcal mash

Post by Wazp_ »

Hi everyone, i have been planning for a coupe of months to make my first batch of tequila/mescal ish spirit.
First of all, its kind of hard to get the good stuff, agave...
I have vaccumed internet for good stuff thats not too expensive.
Found some agave nectar that is described as raw dark type with 76g/100g carbohydrates. In my viking country, the price is near 10 dollars per liter/jar (1,4 kilos).

So i bought 10 jars of that stuff. Then i wondered, how can i get this syrup to get the smoky flavour that the mezcal have.

I thought about maybe i should mix the mash with some smoked whiskey malt, then use my 3 liter bottles of black strap molasses (leftovers) If the sugars doesnt get high enough.
I dont want any regular sugars in this one because i dont know If the manufacturer of the agave syrup is lying about 100% blue agave.

Im planning to make two buckets with around 25 liters each with this.

So this is my plan except the yeast.

10 litres of raw dark blue agave syrup.
2kg smoked whiskey malt
Or 1+1kg mix of smoked whiskey malt/cherry smoked malt.
And top that with at most 3 litres of black strap molasses.

I have no clue about the yeast yet, but thinking about using 5-6 bags of "Mangrove Jacks Mead M05".
Wich i think is an saccharomyces Cerevisiae based yeast that can handle upp to 30 degrees celcius and maximum 18% alcohol.

I havent started this project yet, still waiting for the nectar to arrive. So im wondering If someone have an opinion of my idea.

WAzP_
THE VIKING OF HÖNSA
JAMAWG
Novice

Re: Tequila Mezcal mash

Post by JAMAWG »

You could just use a chef/cocktail smoker to add the smoke flavor. Probably most effective to smoke it after distilling. Keep your product pure agave. This is my plan for my next agave spirit run. Run the tube to the bottom and let it bubble through for a while.
Mossback moonshiner in Cascadia.
Golly
Novice

Post by Golly »

I made a faux Tequila using the pure agave spirit too - keep scouring the internet, with any luck you will be able to find the 10L containers.
I ran it through 4 plates and it had only a little flavour. Whoops! 4L of essentially expensive sugar shine. I did happen to have two bottles of actual tequila - which i decided to just blend into my home made version. It dramatically improved the overall flavour. Is it good sipping tequila - no. Is it great in a margarita - most definitely.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I’ve done a couple using agave syrup and terpenes. Turned out well. 21missions supplies various bulk agave syrups. Not sure whether they ship to your location.

Recommend low SG (1.035-1.040 range), buffering the pH out if the gate like a sugar wash, and good nutrients plus appropriate ferment temp for the yeast you’re using.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I don’t know much about making Tequila , but I can tell you that the molasses will most likely overpower ….. certain 3 litres of it . A little bit of Molly goes a long way .
You’d be better off adding white sugar if you need more alcohol …… but it will dilute the final flavour.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you want to taste the agave, use only agave. You can blend your product with rum and whiskey later.

Try smoking the syrup using methods that can be found by searching this forum.
Jimmygu3
Novice

Post by Jimmygu3 »

I recently did a mezcal-ish spirit that was a learning experience, and had excellent results. Here’s what I learned.

This project had a wealth of info: http://bsgcraft.com/Resources/BSG%20Aga ... 202020.pdf

I reached out to Ilya, and he was extremely helpful. The main thing I found out too late was that his advice was to start around 10 brix to limit the fermentation time. Anyway, here’s what I did:

I started a 10 liter wash that included 2.6 kg organic dark blue agave syrup, as well as 1 kg home-smoked yuca root slices that were puréed and boiled with 1 cup smoked barley malt for conversion (note: I don’t know enough to know if it converted all the starches). It began at 1.095 SG with 5g SafTeq Blue Tequila yeast and was kept at 89°F. After 5 days, the fermentation slowed at around 1.075 SG. pH was in the 3s so I added considerable CaCO to get it to 4.6, then repitched more of the same yeast. Fermentation again stalled around 1.04 after 2+ weeks. Up to this point it was mirroring the BSG curve. However I could not get it going again, despite trying yeast, yeast energizer, heat, and watering it down. I double distilled it and would you believe it- it tastes really good! It has a light smokiness and a chocolatey finish. The frustrating part was that the best smoke came through in the tails. I was tempted to add some of those in with the hearts but I’m glad I didn’t.

Good luck with yours! Hope it goes faster than mine.
Jimmygu3
Novice

Post by Jimmygu3 »

@Wazp_, Did you end up making this?

BTW, I just realized my “mezcal” likely fermented fully. I was using a refractometer, rather than a hydrometer, so my 23 brix mash finishing at 10 brix calculates to 1.005 FG. Likely just above 1 due to the unfermentable solids from the yuca. Another thing I see now is that I used cassava (yuca) root, rather than “yucca”, which is more closely related to agave. But hey, it tasted great! I think next time I will use half the agave syrup for a lower starting gravity to hopefully speed things up.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

A lot of people interchange the term Mezcal and Tequila which is understandable since they both come from an agave plant. The difference is how they are processed. Thought a few of you would find this interesting.
The biggest difference between Mezcal and Tequila is that while both are made from extracting juices from the agave plant, the way the plant is treated differs greatly. Tequila is generally produced by steaming the plant, while Mezcal gets its smokier, complex flavor profile from cooking the plant in earthen pits lined with lava rocks.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Tequila is a type of mezcal that must be made from blue agave. Mezcal can be made from a variety of agaves. It can be more or less smokey depending on how it’s made.

Cheers
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Renhoekk
Swill Maker

Post by Renhoekk »

Interesting idea to use a peated malt to get the smokey flavour. In mezcal, the smoke comes from roasting the agave prior to crushing and fermenting. It’s challenging to replicate using syrups. Keep us posted
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

I've made something resembling tequila using agave syrup & sugar.

First 2 times with white sugar & final double distilled spirit had a hint of salt in white & was really good oaked/aged. I had some agave barrel chips in there also.

My most recent 3rd time, I used demerara sugar. Noticeably different!!! Not in a bad way. I just sipped on some oaked last night that's almost a year old now. +1 to that molasses flavor having strong carry-over components. It's almost a rumquila.
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Chucker
Swill Maker

Post by Chucker »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:46 am Tequila is a type of mezcal that must be made from blue agave. Mezcal can be made from a variety of agaves. It can be more or less smokey depending on how it’s made.

Cheers
-j
Also limited by where it can be produced.