Hydrogen Peroxide for Aging

All styles of whiskey. This is for all-grain mashes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hydrogen Peroxide for Aging

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Similar experiment from 2017 for reference:
viewtopic.php?t=66586

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
FL Brewer
Swill Maker

Post by FL Brewer »

Re: Steve Broady.... I would describe the taste as maybe musky.... probably not pleasant if stronger.

What do you mean by triangle tests?
Everyone has to believe in something. Me? I believe I'll have another drink......
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

FL Brewer wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:24 am What do you mean by triangle tests?
Pour three samples, two of one thing and one of another. Label the bottom of the glass, or in some way leave yourself the ability to identify them without making it clear to the taster. If there is a discernible difference between the two spirits, then tasters should be able to reliably identify the odd one out.

Obviously, it helps to have two people. I’ve also done it on my own by adding marked pieces of tape to the bottom of three identical glasses, and then mixing the glasses up after pouring so that I can’t remember which one is which.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:28 pm Similar experiment from 2017 for reference:
viewtopic.php?t=66586

Cheers!
-jonny
I just read that thread and it was interesting.
I am not too nervous about putting H2O2 in my drinks since I used to drink a few drops of food grade 25% H2O2 in water periodically as a health thing (I quit because I decided the science was pretty clear there was no real effect but I never had any side effects accept maybe a belch.).
If I understood his experiment correctly he added the H2O2 to the oaked whiskey with no wood in it. I wonder what difference it would make if there was oak in the whiskey during the experiment so the oxidizer would act on the wood and maybe produce results closer to real aging.
It's just a thought. Personally I am very patient and don't have much time for my hobby so I am not going to get around to rapid aging projects any time soon.
Den rus 52
Novice

Post by Den rus 52 »

for rapid aging of alcohol, aeration can be used, saturation of the drink with oxygen using a conventional air pump for an aquarium. you need to turn it on for five minutes a day.
dyel
Novice

Post by dyel »

noob here (very exert drinker though)
h2o2 at these concentrations is pretty tame specially if compared to high proof alcohol, people use it all the time to clean up mushroom tissues since it kinda hinders bacteria and mold spores and does not harm the mushroom mycelium.
that being said don't go about drinking 30%+ industrial grade since it is an oxidizing agent and will cause burns to soft tissues
imho using a higher concentration if available and only using a couple of drops might solve the watering down issue