Stripping runs

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Richiiz
Novice

Stripping runs

Post by Richiiz »

Ok peoples I have a conundrum. I usually run a pot still and make whiskey, brandy or shochu. The problem is my pot still condenser is broken. I have a reflux column which I use for all feints runs but its not real good at using in pot still mode. I have a few AG washes to run, question is, can I run stripping runs with reflux?? Im going to try it anyway but should I cut tails off early or just let it run out?
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Stripping runs

Post by Steve Broady »

I’m no expert, but I don’t think it would be very efficient in terms of time, heat, or water, and you might not get as much product out. I’ve read that some styles of reflux column tend to hold back most of the tails.

Why not just let the washes sit and fix the condenser, or build a new one? They’re pretty simple and cheap, and you’re going to need to fix it eventually anyway. Unless you’re snowed in and can’t get the supplies at the moment.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

You could detune it ...."pull all the packing out" and run potty style. You don't mention what type of reflux still....the type will dictate how you go about that.
Richiiz
Novice

Post by Richiiz »

Just a copper column about a metre tall with a very basic reflux condenser and a product condenser. Its ok i fixed the pot still it was actually only a minor problem once i looked at it properly 😅
Renhoekk
Swill Maker

Post by Renhoekk »

Turn off the reflux condenser and run the column without packing. Boom, a metre high pot still :)
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Richiiz wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:18 am Just a copper column about a metre tall with a very basic reflux condenser and a product condenser. Its ok i fixed the pot still it was actually only a minor problem once i looked at it properly 😅
Glad you managed to get your original Potty going .
But for the sake of completeness of this topic , you dod not say what kind of Reflux still it was .
If uoy had said a Deflagmator and product condenser then we can all assume its a CM type which simply can be tun in Pit still mode , infact , you wouldn’t need to even remove the packing , especially if you wrapped a blanket around the packed section .

But you said its a Reflux Condenser and product condenser. Those two terms would normally suggest a VM still head which you can use to strip with to a degree , but can’t similar the strip you would get with a Pot still