My Triple Malt Corn Whiskey

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Michelle F
Novice

Re: My Triple Malt Corn Whiskey

Post by Michelle F »

zed255 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:00 pm ... two even, as they get lonely and commit suicide unexpectedly unless they have company.
I get that...

So I can use these to test mash and the alcometer for the finished product, correct?
Alice is a friend of mine...
I'm in the rabbit hole
The Cheshire Cat is in my lap
My husband is the Mad Hatter
RTFM
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

You got it, the triple scale hydrometer is used to measure your starting or original gravity and finished or final gravity of your ferment and the alcometer is for measuring a distilled product in ABV or proof.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

Where's the best place to order online?
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

Basically take you pick on Amazon or eBay. A branded one like StillSpirits or Brewing America et al, or a genuine scientific instrument like Cole-Palmer will cost more, sometimes much more, but likely be more accurate. Mine is a StillSpirits, the purveyors of the (in)famous AirStill and T500, but measures well against my AntonPaar Easydens when temperature corrected. I have others as well, but rarely use them.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

Just finished this run. Takes like good Corn Likker.

Got 3.5 pints distillate rounded it up to four pints (spring water) and two Oak Infusion Spirals

I put it into an old Cuervo 1800 bottle I kept for some reason;(now I know why!)

...LoL

It's in my Likker Cabinet begining the aging process...
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

I just tasted it again before going to bed. Tastes fantastic!
A cool thing I noticed, in just the two hours the oak spirals have been in there the color is already imparting. I can't wait to see it in a month.

Going to run the rest tomorrow for immediate consumption...
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

8Ball wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:36 pm
Michelle F wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:38 am
8Ball wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:21 am Two written tests & OJT. Did anyone tell you that an E-5 is not a Third Class Petty Officer?
Tell me sir, how is your memory from 50 years ago?My Petty Officer Patch had two red chevrons.
What E-rating rank is that?
My memory is crystal and vivid. I earned my third class crow in ‘78. No way that I would ever forget — or get confused with what my military rank was — ever, Mam. But you press on with your chosen narrative, please.
This post got me thinking so I pulled out my Discharge and VA Pension paperwork. I was discharged as:

Second Class Petty Officer
Designation: Ship Stores/Galley
30 June 1972
1632hr PDT
Miramar NAS,
California

Apparently my elderly brain is slipping...
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

Here are the steps I followed. I keep a log! :shock:

1. I 'washed/cleaned my new still with soap and water. Inside and out. Rinsed with clear water. I had an old qt jar of Braggs ACV in the back of my pantry, so I mixed it with three gallons of water and produced a qt of distilled vinegar. Then to clear the lines of any vinegar I ran two gallons of clear water and saved that for my steam iron ( requires distilled water to avoid corrosion, according to iron manual)!!!

2. I simmered the corn using 5gal of our tap water. (I live in Desert Hot Springs, CA best and deepest cold water aquifer west of the Appalachians!), 5# Hopi Blue Corn. (It was on sale at Smart and Final ( local box store like Costco) until the corn starting looking clear. Almost three hours. I strained it into my 7gal fermenter, pitched my yeast at 90° using 1/2# Fleishmans fresh yeast) mixed it in some of the mash first to make sure it was mixed in properly.

3. I let the mash sit undisturbed @70-75° for 7 days.

4. After a week I got my beer hydrometer and the reading bounced off the bottom. Way past beer. You could smell the alcohol. So into the still.

5. Half of that mash produced nearly 5 pints of clear wonderful tasting corn whiskey. Im going to run the other half this morning!
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Michelle F wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:13 am Here are the steps I followed. I keep a log! :shock:

1. I 'washed/cleaned my new still with soap and water. Inside and out. Rinsed with clear water. I had an old qt jar of Braggs ACV in the back of my pantry, so I mixed it with three gallons of water and produced a qt of distilled vinegar. Then to clear the lines of any vinegar I ran two gallons of clear water and saved that for my steam iron ( requires distilled water to avoid corrosion, according to iron manual)!!!

2. I simmered the corn using 5gal of our tap water. (I live in Desert Hot Springs, CA best and deepest cold water aquifer west of the Appalachians!), 5# Hopi Blue Corn. (It was on sale at Smart and Final ( local box store like Costco) until the corn starting looking clear. Almost three hours. I strained it into my 7gal fermenter, pitched my yeast at 90° using 1/2# Fleishmans fresh yeast) mixed it in some of the mash first to make sure it was mixed in properly.

3. I let the mash sit undisturbed @70-75° for 7 days.

4. After a week I got my beer hydrometer and the reading bounced off the bottom. Way past beer. You could smell the alcohol. So into the still.

5. Half of that mash produced nearly 5 pints of clear wonderful tasting corn whiskey. Im going to run the other half this morning!
I don't see anything that would have converted the starch to sugar? In step 2 did you add enzymes or barley to provide enzymes to actually mash the corn i.e. convert starch to sugar? If you didn't I am curious as to the abv of your 5 pints of whiskey. There would be some sugars that would be consumed but most would still be tied up as starch if you didn't have enzymes.
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

Everything is included in North Georgia Still Company mash kits, all the necessary enzymes with very well defined instructions. (The only thing I changed was using hopi blue corn instead of sweet yellow.) Past that, I'm trying to learn things right the first time.

Step 2 Glucoamylase, and yeast nutes stirred in with yeast dissolved in warm water with bit sugar to activate.

Since I have no way to actually test ABV. I am using the burn method and my taste buds.

After discarding the methanol (angel's share is for the car) I'd say 1st pint jar proof is well north of 140. Undrinkable uncut...
2nd 110+
Third jar and 4th jars coming are still potent.
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Michelle F wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:58 am Everything is included in North Georgia Still Company mash kits, all the necessary enzymes with very well defined instructions. (The only thing I changed was using hopi blue corn instead of sweet yellow.) Past that, I'm trying to learn things right the first time.

Step 2 Glucoamylase, and yeast nutes stirred in with yeast dissolved in warm water with bit sugar to activate.

Since I have no way to actually test ABV. I am using the burn method and my taste buds.

After discarding the methanol (angel's share is for the car) I'd say 1st pint jar proof is well north of 140. Undrinkable uncut...
2nd 110+
So, two tips. You should read up a bit on methanol and why testing abv with a flame test is not recomended.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

Umm.. the first pint went to the angels (car)

The burn test I did was AFTER I discarded the 'methanol'.

The burn test was purely to test if any alcohol was present, not for methanol or proof. Just the PRESENCE of alcohol

The methanol was already tossed...
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

I'm sipping a shot of the last pint before the fusel oils were present. Six pints drinkable. One pint for eventual fuel fir the car. Once I have collected enough foreshots and heads I'll do a run strictly for fuel

Once proofed I'll have a solid two liters of good sweet tasting corn whiskey...

I'm happy
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Michelle F wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:58 am Everything is included in North Georgia Still Company mash kits, all the necessary enzymes with very well defined instructions. (The only thing I changed was using hopi blue corn instead of sweet yellow.) Past that, I'm trying to learn things right the first time.

2nd 110+
Very good, missed that in the first set of note. Glad you are enjoying this experience.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Michelle F wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:08 pm… The methanol was already tossed...
Well, you may not fully understand this hobby yet when you say that. Chances are, you didn’t really produce “methanol”. Acetylaldehyde, ketones, and various esters, sure/maybe. Those would be in your foreshots and heads.

Methanol is not common in cereal grain ferments, rather it is more common in fruit ferments, especially wines. So, you probably didn’t throw much, if any away.

And even if you have some in your ferment, your potstill would produce it right along with the ethanol because at these concentrations, the methanol has an affinity for the ethanol, meaning they loosely bond together.

Naturally, many hobbyists assume the methanol comes over in the heads (or tails) because both of those can taste nasty. And they are nasty because of all the other crap that’s in them. But the methanol that may be present will be spread throughout your run. But don’t fret, it would be only trace amounts. You probably consume more methanol in the glass of orange juice you had for breakfast.

OK? Lesson over.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Michelle F wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:08 pm Umm.. the first pint went to the angels (car)

The burn test was purely to test if any alcohol was present, not for methanol or proof. Just the PRESENCE of alcohol

The burn test is not recommended because it’s an unsafe method. Just like using plastics during the distillation process.
When someone explains that you may want to read. It’s probably best to go and do the reading instead of giving short retorts that prove your ignorance further or saying that you will do the reading and then instead making a new topic with the same questions.

This topic should be moved out of the shared recipes board and into the new distillers section.
Last edited by Stonecutter on Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Michelle F wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:08 pm Umm.. the first pint went to the angels (car)
Just saying.
An old farm tractor with a sediment bowl or water separator runs good on anything over 90%
But I wouldn't recommend putting forshots in a cars gas tank.
Your literally pouring water in the gas tank every time you do.
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

shadylane wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:02 pm
Just saying.
An old farm tractor with a sediment bowl or water separator runs good on anything over 90%
But I wouldn't recommend putting forshots in a cars gas tank.
Your literally pouring water in the gas tank every time you do.
lol... I'm not dumping it straight in fuel tank. There is a process.

Anything going into car will be re-distilled a couple times then mixed 20-1 alcohol to Marvel Mystery Oil

20 parts 95% or higher alc
1 part Marvel Mystery Oil or Bardal Gas additive.

I've spoken to my husband's mechanic friend who works at a Buick dealership about this and he concurs. Our car is a 2015 Buick Lacrosse. E85 is recommended fuel so...

I've done my homework. AND I have a mechanic to help me. Thanks fir your concern...
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

Stonecutter wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:40 pm

The burn test is not recommended because it’s an unsafe method. Just like using plastics during the distillation process.
When someone explains that you may want to read. It’s probably best to go and do the reading instead of giving short retorts that prove your ignorance further or saying that you will do the reading and then instead making a new topic with the same questions.

This topic should be moved out of the shared recipes board and into the new distillers section.
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

Read The F'ing Manual..it's in my signature line...

It IS a shared recipe it's modified from a NGSC recipe

It's in my signature line. I do read! Did Read And will continue to read.
If I ask a question it is either I missed part or misunderstood part.

Hmm short retorts eh? Do you tell others that when they make short retorts?

I probably won't be sharing much of anything anymore.
I'm beginning to feel unwelcome...
Last edited by Michelle F on Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Michelle F wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:05 pm

It's in my signature line. I do read! Did Read And will continue to read.
If I ask a question it is either I missed part or misunderstood part.

well when a member explains that burn tests aren’t recommended and suggests that you go read and you respond back with a response full of all caps, bold characters and underlines it comes off as a kind of ignorant retort.
It’s the same thing when you have a bunch of questions regarding your “recipe” and members suggests you read up on a subject regarding your process and then you say you will but just open up a new topic it comes off as ignorant or to be honest…lazy.
Michelle F wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:05 pm Hmm sort retorts eh? Do you tell others that when they make short retorts?

of course I do, especially when the quips are born of ignorance…. you’re not special in my book. It’s not hate it’s just that I don’t appreciate laziness

I probably won't be sharing much of anything anymore.
I'm beginning to feel unwelcome...
You do what you feel like you need to do but playing the poor me card isn’t going to get you anywhere. Why don’t you feel welcome? There’s not a lot of sugar coating that goes on here. I’m not saying I’m one of them, but there have been a number of very respected and experienced members who have happily spoon fed you answers to questions that are basic and easily found within the forum and you continue to get snappy with anyone who calls you out.
You can claim that you read the manual till the cows come home but your questions suggest otherwise.
I encourage you to tough it out and force me to eat my own words.
You don’t seem like the kind of person who just gives up the minute someone tells you to step up your game. Questions are encouraged but before you get upset with the members because they’re not giving you the answers you want take a step back and try to see the forest through the trees. You’re part of a vast forum of very serious hobbyists. If you want to be taken seriously you’ll need to show the commitment. I may come off as a misogynist pig to you but I assure you that it’s not the case. I hope the best for you and obviously you’re enjoying the hobby. Enjoy this awesome forum for what it is. An online community of cantankerous drunks and mad scientist. I’ll call bullshit when I smell it and I implore you to do the same. It’s virtual; you won’t get the plague by being offended….I promise.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

Thanks fir that...

Michelle
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

Michelle F wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:52 pm Thanks fir that...

Michelle
Sorry your not feeling welcome, as Stoney said plenty of good info from plenty of people who have answered the same questions and dealt with the same issues on many occasions.
I went through the same thing.
Just to point out the level of involvement and the helpful nature of the people on this forum, this thread is 3 pages long and about 80 posts.
I put up a build thread on a 4 plate perforated 4 inch Flute from start to finish, that lasted 3 pages and 60 odd posts.
You shouldn't feel unwelcome, just understand that everyone has pretty much been in your shoes
Good Luck :thumbup:
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

Cool...

All I know is...
...I'm sipping a delicious corn whiskey made with y'alls guidance. Unaged and sweet as all git out

I do listen... and will continue to. I may empathize a word or two with all caps... That said...

From now on, I shall use the bold function to avoid appearing to yell. Please forgive me on that one!

Life is good!
Let's have a drink!
Last edited by Michelle F on Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Michelle F wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:29 pm Cool...

All I know is...
...I'm sipping a delicious corn whiskey made with y'alls guidance. Unaged and sweet as all git out

Life is good!
Let's have a drink!

Hey we’ve all got our idiosyncrasies. Congratulations on your shine! I can’t wait to get a corn run under my belt. You’re already much farther than many here. You’ve got runs in the books don’t be afraid to ask questions don’t be afraid for the the answers you’ll get.

Looking forward to more posts and updates Michelle F
Last edited by Stonecutter on Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-Thomas Paine
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

Ok I can't delete the T word in the quoted texts but color it gone from my post
>poof<
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Michelle F wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:43 pm Ok I can't delete the T word in the quoted texts but color it gone from my post
>poof<
Done and done. I’m here to help :wink:

Cheers
-Thomas Paine
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Michelle F. Shady gave a nice explanation on methanol for you. The reason I suggested you read up on methanol and the flame test is because I want you to fill the gaps in your understanding. HD has all the info and to me reading topics always improve my understanding.

The reason I suggested to read up is to keep this/your thread close to the original topic. AND just recently there was an active topic on methanol with a reference to an academic article that I believe to explain the matter in a way that I can understand.

Oi, this is a long post just trying to explain my help to you. If I could have said this in one sentence it would have much more impact I believe.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

My friend, your words are golden. I posted some things in my first post area that may explain some issues I have.
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

Whew...
I'm in the rabbit hole