My Triple Malt Corn Whiskey

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Michelle F
Novice

My Triple Malt Corn Whiskey

Post by Michelle F »

This is my mash bill for triple malt corn whiskey I started on Monday.

5# hopi blue cornmeal (course ground)
5# corn dextrose
1# ea malted barley, rye and wheat
Brewers yeast and enzymes.

Today is Wednesday and I just noticed the bubbler stopped bubbling and I had forgotten the Glucoamylase; however, I added it just now and it is gassing off again*

All is well... bubbler has resumed bubbling!!!
:lol:

*Got the order of adding the enzymes wrong. For the record it had stopped gassing; I corrected my mistake and it is gassing off again. Funny how reading stuff in here actually works. RTFM
Alice is a friend of mine...
I'm in the rabbit hole
The Cheshire Cat is in my lap
My husband is the Mad Hatter
RTFM
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: My Triple Malt Corn Whiskey

Post by still_stirrin »

Michelle F wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:33 pm —> RTFM
There’s a term I haven’t heard since my engineering days.

Michelle, can you share a little more info about your mash process? Did you gelatinize the corn? How long did you hold sacarafication temperature before dropping to proper fermentation temperature? What was your initial volume? What was the original gravity (OG)?

And have you properly cleaned your still (I assume it’s a potstill)?

You do understand the 2x protocol, ie - strip + spirit run. Or, if you don’t have 3 boiler charge worth of distiller’s beer, then you could do a 1.5 or 1-1/2 distillation run. That’s taking 2/3 of your beer, stripping it and then adding the collected low wines + the rest of your beer to the boiler and running your spirit run.

All in all, great effort. And bravery, ie - starting with an all-grain recipe as your first still run.

Stay safe, responsible, and discrete.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

Did you gelatinize the corn? On Monday here's what I did:
I started building the mash by simmering 5# hopi blue
corn (course ground) and 5# corn sugar until it reached 200°. Low and slow. Roughly an hour and a half.

I strained the solids out and then ground the barley, rye and wheat malts together and stirred them in at approx 150° to 155°.

Then I let it sit until it dropped to 100°, then added the yeast and yeast nutes but forgot the Glucoamylase. I added it today (Wednesday)as it had stopped bubbling. That's when I noticed I forgot the Glucoamylase and added it a couple of hours ago. Now it's happily bubbling away again!
Yay!!! :clap:

How long did you hold sacarafication temperature before dropping to proper fermentation temperature? Not sure what this means exactly...

What was your initial volume? 6 gallons lost a gallon cooking the corn; after straining mixture the yield dropped to 5 gal in fermenter. Smells like cornbread after it comes out of the oven. The malted grains are still in the wash.

What was the original gravity? Oops... that is what I forgot to do :oops:

All is in the the fermenter now and it's bubbling again...
:crazy:
Last edited by Michelle F on Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

My still is a brand new a 5 gal Seeutek Still with thumper and worm. This is my second run.

I am a retired Chef so sanitation and cross contamination are priority. My Mother was an RN and made her own wine and her dad was a moonshiner in Canada in the 1920s. My dad was a bootleggers running likker from Wyoming to Utah via his job on the Railroad...

So this is my life now. Retired 68 year old hippie moonshiner living the good life in Soutern California :lolno:

WooHooo!!! :D
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Michelle F wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:26 pm
I am a retired Chef so sanitation and cross contamination are priority.
That’s not what was meant by “cleaning” your still and obviously you’re not getting the most out of your AG attempts.

I suggest reading the new distillers section till the blood doth flow.

Good luck friend. See you down the rabbit hole.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

That’s not what was meant by “cleaning” your still and obviously you’re not getting the most out of your AG attempts.
I suggest reading the new distillers section till the blood doth flow.

Good luck friend. See you down the rabbit hole.
Bloodletting not needed!!!

Yes I did the vinegar run before my first Corn Mash!!!

My nomenclature is still lacking a bit. Oddly the "vinegar run" was in the initial Still setup instructions. So that was done 'before' I even started my FIRST mash run. Cleaning is prioity!

Alice is a friend of mine I'm already "in" the rabbit hole. The Cheshire Cat is in my lap. My husband's the Mad Hatter.

Obviously, you might consider a polite question as opposed to verbally slamming people! I suggest a bit of kindness goes a long, long way!

Peace out...!
Last edited by Michelle F on Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Michelle F wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:27 pm
Obviously, you might consider a polite question as opposed to verbally slamming people!

It's often difficult to convey emotions, meaning and information in just a few written words.
On top of that, many of us are posting while intoxicaed. :lol:
Folks here are just trying to help.
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

shadylane wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:26 pm It's often difficult to convey emotions, meaning and information in just a few written words.
On top of that, many of us are posting while intoxicaed. :lol:
Folks here are just trying to help.
Hate and ignorance is unexceptable in real life and, I'm sorry, rude hate speak is not tolerated in a bar! It should not be tolerated here.

Being alluded to stupidity such as "Reading The F'ing Manual" with out inquiring if said 'manual' had, in fact been read, is just mean.

Kindness goes along away
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

hate speech?? :roll:
If my post offended I do apologize but that’s about as much of a red carpet as I care to roll out. Text and such within the forum can be misinterpreted. We’re a Hardy bunch here, strong individualism and all that jazz, if you want to interact you may need to put on a little bit of a tougher candy coating.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Just a heads up that the cleaning protocol detailed here is a vinegar run followed by a sacrificial alcohol run (eg; run it and discard the output). Any still manufacturer may or may not recommend something different. Not sure whether you did the sac run or not after the vinegar run but it wasn't mentioned.

We usually recommend following recipes from the Tried & True recipe section which are very well documented and there's quite a few of them. This really helps folks get a handle on developing and troubleshooting their own recipes.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

As I said earlier, I was taught RTFM when I was in the Navy. I was a young woman and served as a cook (made E5 Third Class Petty officer on the USS Guadalupe, a supply/oiler serving the 7th Fleet Kittyhawk Aircraft Carrier Attack Group during wartime Vietnam 1970 - 1972)

My skin is leathery... I can take it and I can toss it. 8)

As I said in my DELETED post.

Kindness goes a long long way...
Last edited by Michelle F on Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

BACK TO TOPIC.
Day 4
My mash is still bubbling away and smells delightful. My husband said this one smells really potent...

How do I know when fermentation is optimum and ready to distill? It's bubbling every second or so...

I'm anxious to get it in the still
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

An OG reading can help with determining when a ferment is done but it’s really just a tool which has limits, as I’m sure you already know. From my limited experience, the best way to tell if a ferment is done is by using your senses. How does it taste? Do you hear a bunch of fizzing from inside the vessel? Once the ferment activity has dropped off I usually let sit for another week or so giving it time to clear.
All this stuff is readily available in the new distillers reading lounge.
That search function in the top right is a great tool to use as well.
Good luck!

Edit:
Deplorable wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:45 am
still_stirrin wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:31 am
Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:45 pm Learn to use your senses.....taste it now while it still sweet.....taste again once the Cap drops.....watch it....listen to it.......you will soon learn to know when and if it's done.
There. That’s the lesson. It should be a “sticky” because it is that important.

Thanks SBB.
ss
+1 Its in my sigline (pretty much)
I don’t assume to know anything, I’ve read and put into action what others have suggested before me.
+1
Last edited by Stonecutter on Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Thomas Paine
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

Thank you!

Heading to the lounge now!
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:53 am

"Not sure whether you did the sac run or not after the vinegar run but it wasn't mentioned."

Cheers!
-jonny
Yes I did sac run after vinegar run. To clear lines of the vinegar.

Seemed obvious actually. I did the sac run right after the vinegar. Don't want vinegar in my corn mash.... LoL
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

Day 5... fermentation progressing nicely...
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

Michelle F wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:55 am How do I know when fermentation is optimum and ready to distill? It's bubbling every second or so...
spoon feeding commences :ewink:

You will know without a doubt of course when your ready for optimum distillation because you took a specific gravity reading after completing the "mash" process and before pitching the yeast. Didn't you? Of course you did! This would indicate the total amount of possible sugars in the liquid. Then you just simply take another gravity reading when you "think" its done and it will tell you yes or no. Three days is not unheard for a ferment but let your hydrometer tell you the truth.

This is plainly spelled out throughout the forum. This is not hate speech, this is the voice of love, a friend, a partner in crime just looking out for his buddy when he is going down the wrong rabbit hole. The worst thing in the world is to think you know everything! Even though I might think I do. I'll get back to you on that part.

Forgetting the enzymes is understandable, and in the end they should not have made a difference if your malted grains were mashed in the proper quantities at the right temps for the appropriate lengths of times. Which of course you did because that is also common knowledge you have gained here! All I can say is a day or two can make a difference even when you "think" your ferment has stopped, and there are tools which will tell you.

also take a taste of the ferment as it progresses so you can familiarize yourself with the different stages and flavors that are happening. Then you might get to the point where you KNOW its done just with a little dip of the finger.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Michelle F wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:43 am As I said earlier, I was taught RTFM when I was in the Navy. I was a young woman and served as a cook (made E5 Third Class Petty officer on the USS Guadalupe, a supply/oiler serving the 7th Fleet Kittyhawk Aircraft Carrier Attack Group during wartime Vietnam 1970 - 1972)

My skin is leathery... I can take it and I can toss it. 8)

As I said in my DELETED post.

Kindness goes a long long way...
Thats pretty impressive. An E-5 Third Class Petty Officer is a tough rank to earn.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Michelle F wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:55 am

How do I know when fermentation is optimum and ready to distill? It's bubbling every second or so...

I'm anxious to get it in the still
Patience is the key to this hobby my friend.

Although the fermentation is complete when the sugars are gone. Gravity reading will usually about .996 or so. The yeast will continue to clean things up for another week. When yeast are in a food rich environment such the start of the fermentation they don't always completely "digest" the sugar. The process of converting sugar to alcohol and CO2 is a multi-step process. Sometimes those intermediate compounds leak out of the yeast cell walls. The yeast just grabs another sugar and starts over. But when the sugar is gone, the yeast will start bring those intermediate compounds back inside the cell walls and complete the digestion of them. At least in beer those intermediate compounds can give off flavors. Is it really important for distilling to allow the yeast to clean up? Commercial distillers don't think so.

I figure I am going to leave my whiskey to age for at least a year, preferably two, so what is an extra week of fermentation. If you are interested in the science of yeast there is a great book out there entitled "Yeast". You can also find a lot of info on the homebrew forums.

Seems this hobby draws in former Navy people. Probably encountered at least a dozen so far. So welcome aboard the home distilling boat.
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

8Ball wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:03 am Thats pretty impressive. An E-5 Third Class Petty Officer is a tough rank to earn.
Thank you... It wasn't easy. You think male Chief's are prickly. YIKES!!! calling her a female dog just made her breakout into a 'belly laugh' that shook the whole ship. Then she'd bark louder!
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

subbrew wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:35 am ....If you are interested in the science of yeast there is a great book out there entitled "Yeast". You can also find a lot of info on the homebrew forums.
I am totally interested. Do you have the name of the
Author?
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Michelle F wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:57 am
subbrew wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:35 am Do you have the name of the
Author?
Chris White

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304206251524?c ... a1792d4393
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

Hey Michelle F,

Some good advice above. If you want to calculate your original gravity you can get a pretty good idea with a beer recipe calculator like:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/ ... calculator

Of course, the big variable is your brew house efficiency (how good your conversion is) but I find I'm usually right in the ballpark of the standard 75%. Sometimes a little better.

The resources here are good for distilling, but I find the best resources for fermenting are the beer resources, especially for all-grain stuff. Specifically "How To Brew" by John Palmer has a fantastic all-grain section. You can read the first edition for free at https://www.howtobrew.com or buy it elsewhere.

Just remember that as distillers we can ignore anything about hops, head retention, color, all that stuff gets left in the still when we get the good stuff out the condenser.

In my opinion the best thing to do is exactly what you are doing, get your hands dirty and learn as you go! I bet you'll get some tasty product and it'll just get better with practice and experience!

Good luck!

TwoSheds
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

Oops...
Last edited by Michelle F on Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

Day 5. I just stirred my mash and it was milky and bitter. How do I clarify it?

At least can someone point me to an article describing how to correct this issue? I don't want to trouble anyone with an explanation. I'm good with research. My problem is I am unable to find pertinent info. I've been looking till my eyes are bleeding and not finding what I need
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

Michelle F wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:48 am Day 5. I just stirred my mash and it was milky and bitter. How do I clarify it?
no need to stir really. It depends, some feel the need to clarify while others do not. This step is not necessary. You can make that decision on your own and there's another whole rabbit hole to get lost in
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

Brix reading is 1.00

There is definitely alcohol present... strength reminds me MD20/20
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

There is very little sugar present. The mash is not sweet at all, just milky ...
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
Michelle F
Novice

Post by Michelle F »

Brix is 1.000
Is that good?
I'm in the rabbit hole
RTFM
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Michelle F wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:50 am
8Ball wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:03 am Thats pretty impressive. An E-5 Third Class Petty Officer is a tough rank to earn.
Thank you... It wasn't easy. You think male Chief's are prickly. YIKES!!! calling her a female dog just made her breakout into a 'belly laugh' that shook the whole ship. Then she'd bark louder!
So, I believe you when you say it isn’t easy to be ranked an E-5 and be a third class petty officer. I imagine you had to pass a strict written and practical examination to make it. Would love to hear a little more if you can remember that far back.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”