Looking for Flavor not sugars

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Looking for Flavor not sugars

Post by Deerhunter »

Hello all...Looking on how to get flavors from corn, oats and barely. Not looking to convert to sugars. I mainly want the flavor. Would it be best to just cook the grain maybe add some amylase for good measures? Would like to step it up a notch from plain old sugar washes.
Sky Diving without a parachute is a once in a life time experience!
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Looking for Flavor not sugars

Post by Sporacle »

:thumbup: Try a UJSSM
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Cooking will leech out lots of starches. Oats makes oatmeal (thick goop). I'd use enzymes because they're cheap, easy to use and will convert those starches to sugar (will liquefy the mash too). You can always add some sugar if you feel the need AFTER conversion. I'd let it cool down too so you can more accurately test the SG before adding any sugar.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

check out the honey bear bourbon. that has some grains and no sugar. It was my first AG and pretty easy I thought.
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

There's a term for what you're looking for: https://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Gumball

You can add specialty grains to your sugarhead to achieve something great. Try a bunch of different ones. If you get something too strong keep it and blend it other things to back off the flavor. Mix and match, have some fun. You can also add in botanicals like juniper for something gin like, lemon peel, fruit, or any other botanicals for something different. Go crazy.