Trub

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bez
Swill Maker

Trub

Post by bez »

Ok so I got thinking and was wondering something... I ferment mostly on the grain but after I press (I use a fruit press and a paint strainer bag) I put my liquid into another barrel I have to clear (especially the cooler months in Northern ohio things clear nicely) then I'm left over with all the fine sediment (fine grain particles and yeast). Now on to my question.... Would taking that trub and boiling it do much in way of a yeast nutrient (sort of like boiling fresh yeast for use as a yeast nutrient)?
zed255
Distiller

Re: Trub

Post by zed255 »

I always save my trub and boil it into my sugar washes and rums as a nutrient. Seems to work well as I've only had one ferment that had an issue and that was me insulating the fermenter too soon, causing it to overheat killing much of my yeast. That one recovered on its own, otherwise fermentation always takes off like a scalded cat.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: Trub

Post by shadylane »

bez wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:05 pm .... Would taking that trub and boiling it do much in way of a yeast nutrient (sort of like boiling fresh yeast for use as a yeast nutrient)?
Compared to boiled yeast, trub is short on nutrients.
Trub can also be very acidic, so watch the pH.