what size pot to buy?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

utvol
Novice

what size pot to buy?

Post by utvol »

I have only done UJSM runs in the past. I am wanting to get into all grain recipes.

What size pot do you recommend?

I was thinking 10 gallon?

Thanks in advance.

utvol
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Re: what size pot to buy?

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Depends on how much you want to mash. That's really about it. You can easily convert a 15.5 gal keg into a large kettle. I cut a hole just the right size to fit a large glass lid from a frying pan.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

+1 15 gallon is as small as I'd go. When you start doing large batches you'll appreciate it.
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

What volume have you been doing with UJSSM? Are you wanting to change volume?

Are you going to mash and ferment in the same vessel?

Lots of ways to go at it.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

What size is your still?
What is your mash protocol?
How much mash you want to make?
There are many ways to go about it. Some members here mash and ferment in the same vessel, such as a "keggel" but it limits you to a total volume of about 15 gallons max. If you're fermenting on grain, thats about 12 gallons of finished distiller's beer.
Some mash and ferment in a 30 to 55 gallon HDPE drum and get 35+ gallons of finished beer for the still.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Deplorable wrote: ↑Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:24 pm What size is your still?
There are many ways to go about it. Some members here mash and ferment in the same vessel, such as a "keggel" but it limits you to a total volume of about 15 gallons max. If you're fermenting on grain, thats about 12 gallons of finished distiller's beer.
Some mash and ferment in a 30 to 55 gallon HDPE drum and get 35+ gallons of finished beer for the still.
Mmmmm.35 gallonsπŸ€”
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Bradster68 wrote: ↑Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:30 pm
Mmmmm.35 gallonsπŸ€”
I guess I should have clarified that a little better.
I get 21 gallons of finished beer from a 30 gallon fermenter. So depending on grain/water ratios, I suspect you could get at least 35 gallons of finished beer from a 55 gallon fermenter.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Mmmmm.35 gallonsπŸ€”
Check out the Easy Large Batch Mashing topic :thumbup:
Last edited by Salt Must Flow on Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Deplorable wrote: ↑Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:49 pm
Mmmmm.35 gallonsπŸ€”
I guess I should have clarified that a little better.
I get 21 gallons of finished beer from a 30 gallon fermenter. So depending on grain/water ratios, I suspect you could get at least 35 gallons of finished beer from a 55 gallon fermenter.
Lmao. I wasn't criticizing the amount. Just what I would do with that much fresh booze to age. I'm not to that stage yet.🀣🀣
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Salt Must Flow wrote: ↑Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:54 pm
Mmmmm.35 gallonsπŸ€”
Iv been eye Ballin that technique for a while. I'm doing 15 gallon currently. But next step is those 55's
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Bradster68 wrote: ↑Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:10 pm

Just what I would do with that much fresh booze to age. I'm not to that stage yet.🀣🀣
That will give 2.5 to 3 gal of barrel strength (63% or so) product. Just the right amount to fill a badmo, have a 1/2 gallon jar on wood sticks to drink a bit earlier, and a quart or so in the white to either sip on or top off the badmo in a year after the angles indulge.

For me it was the way to eventually get to where I will be drinking 4 or 6 year old bourbon and rum.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Deplorable wrote: ↑Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:49 pm I guess I should have clarified that a little better.
I get 21 gallons of finished beer from a 30 gallon fermenter.
Thats a good size charge for our maximum allowable 30US Gal Boiler on this forum :wink:
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Bradster68 wrote: ↑Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:13 pm
Mmmmm.35 gallonsπŸ€”
Iv been eye Ballin that technique for a while. I'm doing 15 gallon currently. But next step is those 55's
You should be able to use the same technique with most size batches as long as it is well insulated. That's another use for a keg kettle/keggle (hot liquor tank). A good size batch of hot water on tap to dump straight into the fermenter.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

subbrew wrote: ↑Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:29 pm
Bradster68 wrote: ↑Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:10 pm

Just what I would do with that much fresh booze to age. I'm not to that stage yet.🀣🀣
That will give 2.5 to 3 gal of barrel strength (63% or so) product. Just the right amount to fill a badmo, have a 1/2 gallon jar on wood sticks to drink a bit earlier, and a quart or so in the white to either sip on or top off the badmo in a year after the angles indulge.

For me it was the way to eventually get to where I will be drinking 4 or 6 year old bourbon and rum.
Absolutely. I'm really liking the 15 gallon, but the 45 gallon :thumbup:
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Yummyrum wrote: ↑Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:53 pm
Deplorable wrote: ↑Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:49 pm I guess I should have clarified that a little better.
Thats a good size charge for our maximum allowable 30US Gal Boiler on this forum :wink:
I didn't even catch that,I was thinking πŸ€”
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Salt Must Flow wrote: ↑Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:55 pm
Bradster68 wrote: ↑Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:13 pm

Mmmmm.35 gallonsπŸ€”
You should be able to use the same technique with most size batches as long as it is well insulated. That's another use for a keg kettle/keggle (hot liquor tank). A good size batch of hot water on tap to dump straight into the fermenter.
My first large batch will definitely be the HBB. The reviews are excellent and the process seems spot on. πŸ‘Œ
Renhoekk
Swill Maker

Post by Renhoekk »

Depends how much you want to produce. A 30L pot will allow you to comfortably mash 5kg of grain and will produce about 3 bottles of decent whiskey. A 60L pot will give you about 6-7 bottles of whiskey. Keep in mind that scaling up gives you a bit more wiggle room with cuts. Mileage varies but that's a ballpark for you.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Mine is less than 10 gallons and that works for me.

Do you want to spend a lot of time distilling, making a variety of products, or a run or three a year to keep the drinks cabinet full?

How much you intend to drink can be reverse calculated to work out how much wash you need to ferment to provide it. Then you can calculate the size of still you need, based on how many times per year is a hobby rather than a chore. The still head type affects this calculation too.
utvol
Novice

Post by utvol »

my still is a half barrel keg. It seems that most of the recipes I see on here are for about 6 gallons of wash. I think that would be a manageable size to make. But from my limited google searches nice stainless steel pots are pretty expensive. So I didn't want to buy small and wish I had gotten a larger one. All that being said I really don't know yet.

Is there a certain brain stainless steel pot that is preferred? Seems I can get a decent 40 quart pot without breaking the bank. I was hoping to make the mash in my kitchen as I feel it would be the best way to keep everything clean. Are the brew kettle's with the spout at the bottom the way to go? I was thinking that it would just be one more thing that could wear out but was not sure how handy it was to have the spout at the bottom.

Again thank you for any guidance given.

utvol!
Laredo7mm
Bootlegger

Post by Laredo7mm »

I would take a look at using a 10 gallon round cooler with a false bottom or a brew bag. When I was making beer, or if I am doing an all grain mash for shine, I use my 10g cooler with a false bottom. It is a good size for 6 gallons of wort. If my malting experiments prove to be good, then I will get a 150 quart chest cooler and brew bag so I can do one mash that fills both of my 8 gallon fermenters.

If you really want stainless steel, check out Concord Pots. That is what most of mine are and I don’t have any complaints. They use to have a bunch for sale on eBay, but I’m not sure anymore. It has been 5+ years since I have bought one.
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

utvol wrote: ↑Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:40 am my still is a half barrel keg.
Electric (element in kettle) or gas?

If you run electric then you'll have a minimum batch size you can run and still keep the element covered AFTER you're done distilling. That will determine how much distillers beer you'll need to strip to get the minimum amount of low wines you'll need, which in turn tells you how much you need to ferment.
utvol
Novice

Post by utvol »

Laredo7mm wrote: ↑Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:26 am I would take a look at using a 10 gallon round cooler with a false bottom or a brew bag. When I was making beer, or if I am doing an all grain mash for shine, I use my 10g cooler with a false bottom. It is a good size for 6 gallons of wort. If my malting experiments prove to be good, then I will get a 150 quart chest cooler and brew bag so I can do one mash that fills both of my 8 gallon fermenters.

If you really want stainless steel, check out Concord Pots. That is what most of mine are and I don’t have any complaints. They use to have a bunch for sale on eBay, but I’m not sure anymore. It has been 5+ years since I have bought one.
So if ou go with a 10 gallon cooler with false bottom would pot size not matter? does the mash ferment in the cooler till it' s ready to be run? Sorry this is the first i have heard of this method. still doing a bunch of reading and watching videos.

Thank!
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

I assume Loredo is using the cooler as a mash tun. After the grain has had the starches converted to sugar he is draining the wort from the cooler into a fermentor to ferment. The false bottom allows you to drain the liquid from the cooler and the spent grain remains. Discard grain and repeat to fill as many fermentors as you have. You will see this referred to as off grain fermentation.

Just be warned if you are milling your grain fine, it may not drain. And if you are using something like oats that makes porridge it will not drain either.
utvol
Novice

Post by utvol »

subbrew wrote: ↑Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:01 am I assume Loredo is using the cooler as a mash tun. After the grain has had the starches converted to sugar he is draining the wort from the cooler into a fermentor to ferment. The false bottom allows you to drain the liquid from the cooler and the spent grain remains. Discard grain and repeat to fill as many fermentors as you have. You will see this referred to as off grain fermentation.

Just be warned if you are milling your grain fine, it may not drain. And if you are using something like oats that makes porridge it will not drain either.
Subrew. thank you for that info. if you use a cooler as a mash ton, would a wort cooler come into play? I have so much information swirling around in my head i have yet to be able to put all the pieces together.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

utvol wrote: ↑Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:17 am

Subrew. thank you for that info. if you use a cooler as a mash ton, would a wort cooler come into play? I have so much information swirling around in my head i have yet to be able to put all the pieces together.
It could if you want to pitch yeast as soon as possible. You would want to drain the cooler into a pot in which you could put your wort chiller. You would not want to cool the wort before draining from the grain as it would not drain as well and also would leave more of the sugars on the grain.

In fact you will want to sparge the grain after the initial drain. Sparging is just adding more hot water to the grain after the initial wort is drained. Stir to "wash" the sugars off the grain and then drain that. To allow that the first mash will be a little thicker, about 2.75 or 3 lb grain per gallon. That will push the "first running" gravity over your 1.65 target. Then use the remaining water to sparge which brings the gravity down to target. Recommend getting a basic homebrewing book for all you need to know on mashing, sparging and chilling.
utvol
Novice

Post by utvol »

subbrew wrote: ↑Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:32 am
utvol wrote: ↑Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:17 am

It could if you want to pitch yeast as soon as possible. You would want to drain the cooler into a pot in which you could put your wort chiller. You would not want to cool the wort before draining from the grain as it would not drain as well and also would leave more of the sugars on the grain.

In fact you will want to sparge the grain after the initial drain. Sparging is just adding more hot water to the grain after the initial wort is drained. Stir to "wash" the sugars off the grain and then drain that. To allow that the first mash will be a little thicker, about 2.75 or 3 lb grain per gallon. That will push the "first running" gravity over your 1.65 target. Then use the remaining water to sparge which brings the gravity down to target. Recommend getting a basic homebrewing book for all you need to know on mashing, sparging and chilling.
Ok all that makes sense. And I think you are right what I would be doing is basically homebrewing up to a point. Thank you.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

What's your point? I obviously missed it.
21 gallons is two charges on my 13 gallon still.
The OP asked what size pot to buy for mashing.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Deplorable wrote: ↑Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:15 am
What's your point? I obviously missed it.
21 gallons is two charges on my 13 gallon still.
The OP asked what size pot to buy for mashing.
Fair call Deplorable
I miss read that too .
Apologies for any incorrect accusations .
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Are you looking for a toy? Or stovetop still, or something that that fits in the barn? :ewink:
If you want to learn and drink, begin with a 7ish gallon pot and bucket sized fermenters.
Ya learns more and cheaper from multiple small mistakes, than you do from big ones. :lol:
utvol
Novice

Post by utvol »

shadylane wrote: ↑Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:43 pm Re: what size pot to buy?

Are you looking for a toy? Or stovetop still, or something that that fits in the barn? :ewink:
If you want to learn and drink, begin with a 7ish gallon pot and bucket sized fermenters.
Ya learns more and cheaper from multiple small mistakes, than you do from big ones. :lol:
Yes, i want to learn. So the smaller sounds better. i was just thinking i needed a certain pot to make this happen but the more i look into it I like the idea of the 10 gallong igloo cooler with the false bottom. Seems like a good way to learn the ropes.

Random new question. There do not seem to be a lot of all grain options on the tried and true list. Is this because once you know what you are doing you can really experiment with multiple different grains etc?