Gin basket

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

utvol
Novice

Gin basket

Post by utvol »

I have a ket still that has a 2 inch column. I had never heard of a gin basket but could I put something like this at the base of my keg and put the column on top?

I drink more gin than I do whiskey but didn't realize i could make it with a pot still.

thanks in advance for any information given.
Attachments
gin screen.jpg
1aaa.jpg
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Gin basket

Post by Demy »

Generally the gin basket is positioned at the top, near the product outlet.
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

I have a keg still exactly like yours utvol, but I run my gins in a tiny pot still a litre or two at a time so that I can try loads of different ingredients, it suits me just like it does many other guys on here.

I put a little stainless mesh ball under my riser to use as a gin basket but honestly I'm beginning to sway more and more towards just putting everything in the boil.

Have a good read through Odin's easy gin thread, it's worth your time.
I do basically what NZchris describes in that thread for my gin making, and it turns out great!
Make Booze, not War!
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

As Mooseman says you can follow Odins guide with your potstill, no need for the basket?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

2" is a very narrow basket, which means high vapor speed through the botanicals, plus a risk of blowing botanicals into your condenser unless you run very slow. There was a post a while back by someone who had trouble using one.

Probably ok for a few citrus peels, but not for the whole bill.
utvol
Novice

Post by utvol »

MooseMan wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:54 pm I have a keg still exactly like yours utvol, but I run my gins in a tiny pot still a litre or two at a time so that I can try loads of different ingredients, it suits me just like it does many other guys on here.

I put a little stainless mesh ball under my riser to use as a gin basket but honestly I'm beginning to sway more and more towards just putting everything in the boil.

Did you make or buy the small still you use for gin? Do you have any photos? I had not thought about just making a new small one just for gin.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I built my mini gin still using a saucepan and steamer I found in a charity shop and copper bits found at a scrappy. It is the cheapest still I ever built and is my most often used still. The steamer gives me a huge botanical basket. It has made fantastic products, many of them experimental using local, in season, produce.

Try to find one that has a lid that forms a trough that can be easily filled with flour paste.

After a while I got over having to clean fusels out of the condenser after it had been used on the main still and I built it its own SS one that I never clean.
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

utvol wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:52 pmDid you make or buy the small still you use for gin? Do you have any photos? I had not thought about just making a new small one just for gin.
Yes I made the small still that I use for gin after doing some research. Like I said, I'd strongly advise you read the OEG thread, it's gin making gospel.

What I ended up with is a bit of a freaky looking thing and a bit oddball, but it works great and ignoring the condenser, the same thing could be done with just a std liebig.

Do a search for "Stock pot gin still" and you should find it, but there are many more, and better mini stills to see on here, mines just recent.
Make Booze, not War!