Heating your boiler

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Blove88
Novice

Heating your boiler

Post by Blove88 »

How fast should you heat up 10 gal of low wines at 60 proof
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Heating your boiler

Post by sadie33 »

you should not put anything over 40% in your boiler
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

oh, and if it's low wines, that means your doing your spirit run, you want to go slow...It usually takes me about an hour to heat on a spirit run. 5 gal pot still on my stove.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

sadie33 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:18 pm you should not put anything over 40% in your boiler
True Sadie33 but 30% is just fine :wink:

Heat it up as fast as you can without puking. It’s low wines so your chances of puking are reduced. Once you start producing you’ll want to back off and collect low and slow. Another trick is to back heat off when your still is hot to the touch most the way up the riser. Once you get a feel for it you should be able to learn when to start cranking down the heat input so you don’t smear too much on the front end.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

Stonecutter wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:02 pm
sadie33 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:18 pm you should not put anything over 40% in your boiler

Heat it up as fast as you can without puking. It’s low wines so your chances of puking are reduced. Once you start producing you’ll want to back off and collect low and slow. Another trick is to back heat off when your still is hot to the touch most the way up the riser. Once you get a feel for it you should be able to learn when to start cranking down the heat input so you don’t smear too much on the front end.
LOL, yes, it was 60 proof, not 60%!! :thumbup:
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

Blove88 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:21 pm How fast should you heat up 10 gal of low wines at 60 proof
Go by sound and touch, the boiler sound will settle just prior to heat getting to your riser, as Stoney said feel the riser and reduce you power to the desired setting for your run.
On my pot I shut the power down totally for ten minutes when I feel the bottom of my riser getting hot (that's hot not warm) :thumbup:
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

Sporacle wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:34 pm
On my pot I shut the power down totally for ten minutes when I feel the bottom of my riser getting hot (that's hot not warm)

Why ?

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Blove88
Novice

Post by Blove88 »

[/q
Last edited by Blove88 on Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blove88
Novice

Post by Blove88 »

Stonecutter wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:02 pm

I've been going full blast and backing off at 100 deg and slowly bringing up to temp
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

greggn wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:49 pm
On my pot I shut the power down totally for ten minutes when I feel the bottom of my riser getting hot (that's hot not warm)

Why ?
Just a habit, do it with my stripping runs and it helps prevent pukes.
Carried over to my spirit runs and the 10 minutes give me a chance to do anything outside the shed for the next 8 hours :thumbup:
Plus I'm heating at about double what I run at
Last edited by Sporacle on Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Blove88 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:53 pm I've been going full blast and backing off at 100 deg and slowly bringing up to temp
Yeah, it’s really up to you when to back that heat off. Running by temperature isn’t recommended but I don’t see anything wrong with using a thermometer to give you a good indication of when your still is going to start producing, it’s what I do along with feeling the rig, I can tell when my rig is getting close to producing and that’s when I back off heat input till I get my desired collection speed. I don’t pay any attention to the thermometer after that.
Slow drip until my heads are gone then adjust to collect hearts a touch faster, then slow drip as tails come on.

Sounds like you’re on the right track Blove88
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Low wines heats quicker than beer/wash. Once up to temp - mybe 35-40 min w/5k5W on 15g - I dial way way back and pull fores low and slow for an hour.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

Sporacle wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:54 pm

Why ?

Are you running dirty ?

I can understand cutting back the power but I'm not sold on shutting off.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Blove88
Novice

Post by Blove88 »

Stonecutter wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:06 pm
Blove88 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:53 pm I've been going full blast and backing off at 100 deg and slowly bringing up to temp
Yeah, it’s really up to you when to back that heat off. Running by temperature isn’t recommended but I don’t see anything wrong with using a thermometer to give you a good indication of when your still is going to start producing, it’s what I do along with feeling the rig, I can tell when my rig is getting close to producing and that’s when I back off heat input till I get my desired collection speed. I don’t pay any attention to the thermometer after that.
Slow drip until my heads are gone then adjust to collect hearts a touch faster, then slow drip as tails come on.

Sounds like you’re on the right track Blove88
Thank you
Blove88
Novice

Post by Blove88 »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:41 pm Low wines heats quicker than beer/wash. Once up to temp - mybe 35-40 min w/5k5W on 15g - I dial way way back and pull fores low and slow for an hour.

Cheers!
-j

Thank you sir
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

greggn wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:49 pm
Sporacle wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:54 pm

Why ?

Are you running dirty ?

I can understand cutting back the power but I'm not sold on shutting off.
Everything is cleared, Mollases is always a bit pukey.
Just what I do :thumbup:
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i always heat up the night before an leave it hot until the next morning. my thoughts are some esterfication happens, the heat hastens the process...plus it makes the spirit run day go faster by shortening heat up time.
dunno if it helps other than a shorter heat time on run day, but it does make some fine whisky.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.