How many BTU hot plate do you need??

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Blackgrub79
Novice

How many BTU hot plate do you need??

Post by Blackgrub79 »

I have an 8-gallon still and have been using propane to heat it but I was interested in making an indoor setup to run the still. I'm interested in using a hot plate or some electrical to heat my liquid.

Is there a suggested plate or BTU to get? I'm trying to do more indoors because I have noisy delivery people who like to go and drop off packages at the back door. Also, be nice to do the weekends I stay up late at night watching TV and playing music.

I'm sure someone already talked about it here and did a quick search with little information my guess is my search Fu is weak here. Thanks!
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: How many BTU hot plate do you need??

Post by subbrew »

If you are going with a hot plate you will want the most powerful you can get. About 1500 watts seems to be where they top out. You will also need to modify it as they are made to maintain temperature rather than power and will cycle as delivered.

Rather than modify mine, and also to eliminate the chance of scorch, I got a 1500 watt plate and then a $20 tamale pot. Put oil in the tamale pot and then I don't care if the plate cycles since the oil acts as a buffer and delivers steady heat (power) to the boiler. Some people worry about the oil as a fire hazard but it is not getting that hot. I think 240 F was the hottest I got the oil. The temp you would need to get the oil may vary depending on the heat transfer coefficient of you boiler which depends on shape, material, and wall thickness of the boiler
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Blackgrub79 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:28 pm… I'm interested in using a hot plate or some electrical to heat my liquid…
Check out the hotplate build link in my signature. It is a 1500W element, so it runs on household power.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i just used a 1/2 inch plate of aluminium on mine between the plate and pot and it mitigated the thermostat cycle...and no oil mess. completely smoooth output. cost a couple bucks at the local metal supermarket.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
JohnM
Novice

Post by JohnM »

"I stay up late at night watching TV and playing music."
Sounds just like me.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

For my 2.5g small batch still I use a 1k5W Cadco hotplate that I modified with an SD power controller kit (removed the thermostatic element control and wired up the SSR which I then calibrated with some extra resistors for 120V instead of 240V service). I also use a heavy duty diffusor plate on top of the element to distrubute the power more evenly over the bottom of the still and help mitigate any hot spots. There is some delay of minutes when adjusting power but no big deal once I have expected heat-up times dialed in and don't overshoot my adjustments...

I think for 8g you'd appreciate a 240V 5kW element but you can probably do it with 1k5W too.. Spirit run it'd be fine but heatup and strip might take a minute or 120 based on my napkin math..

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
zach
Swill Maker

Post by zach »

I have an 1800 watt induction hot plate with a 5 gallon boiler.

Heat up time is 40 to 50 minutes for a full boiler charge to start production, A stripping run about 3.5 to 4 hours.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Blackgrub79 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:28 pm I have an 8-gallon still and have been using propane to heat it but I was interested in making an indoor setup to run the still. I'm interested in using a hot plate or some electrical to heat my liquid.
It's easier to think watts instead of BTU's
With 120v x 15amp = 1800w the majority of hot plates are 1500w.
That will work as a hotplate, but it's going to be a little slow on a 8 gallon pot.
Run the hot plate wide open so it doesn't cycle on and off.
If you're distilling something that won't scorch, use an internal element.
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

8 Gallon (Assuming 'merican) = 30 L - same size as i have

1200 or even 1500 watt hotplate is going to be PAINFULLY Slow

i converted mine from gas to electric and put in a 2000W internal - quickly upgraded to a 3000W and even that i would love to crank up to 4000W+ when stripping.

Seriously consider putting in a tri-clamp fitting that an 3000W element will fit through - oh and don't forget the SCR controller

ta
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Keep in mind that it is not necessarily the size of the boiler that determines how fast a wash will heat up. It is the size of the charge rather. So with an 8 gallon boiler, the likely charge will be 6 to 6-1/2 gallons maximum (to avoid “boil over”, ie - puking) and for that size of charge 1.5 to 2.0 kW is more appropriate.

If the boiler is only charged with 4 gallons of low wines, the 1.5 to 2.0 kW heat input will bring it online in a very timely manner. I would expect production within an hour, or less. And keeping the input heat inside the boiler will improve efficiency and expedite the start of production. Insulating the boiler will dramatically improve start-up times.

Also, the input power may be limited by the size of the riser, in the case of a potstill, due to the developed vapor velocity at full power. So, again the 1.5 to 2.0 kW may be appropriate.

So, there is utility for hotplates with elements in the 1.5 to 2.0 kW range even with an 8 gallon boiler. The biggest advantage is the ability to heat the charge without worrying about “dry firing” an internal element in the case of a minimal boiler charge.

Think about it, many “tool options” are advantageous to the operators.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
buchrob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by buchrob »

The electrical issue will be subject to what voltage you have available. 120V = 1500 watt elements are the most common.

The bottleneck will be in the initial heat-up. Set a timer and watch one more episode of The Untouchables while waiting. 1500 watt 7 inch plates are cheap on Amazon. Give one a shot with a light load. You can also partially pre-heat in smaller batches on your stovetop.

If the base of your still is substantially larger than 9 inches and you run loads substantially subject to scorching, consider a heat diffuser plate.
Lc 1ace
Novice

Post by Lc 1ace »

I bought a 9 gallon Digi Boil. I drill cut a 5 inch hole in the lid and soldered it on the top. I use my still head from my 5 gallon copper pot still and seal it with a little wheat flour paste. It works perfect. Three hours from the time I turn it on until the batch is done. All electric and digital thermometer.